• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Upper Respiratory/Baytril?

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Last month my green cheek was treated for a sinus infection (no gram stain done to confirm.) She did 2 weeks on .06ml Baytril and seemed to recover. It has now been 4 weeks since finishing meds (on Friday) and yesterday she became ill again. This time it seems to be more in her chest. She has lost 1g. I already called vet and explained and they told me to start her back on Baytril. She has had two doses already. I want to call vet back again today and get an appt because I fear the meds aren’t helping. Is Baytril usually used for URI? Should I give it more time? I know how quickly birds go and I’m afraid if I give the meds more time and they DON’T work it will be too late.

The vet is part of the AAV, but not certified. There is only one certified avian vet in my state and they are several hours away. I’m doing the best I can with the resources I’ve got.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
My budgies had a five day course of antibiotics for their bacterial infection (lower end of digestive system) it took a couple days to work. I know that vets will often recomend probiotics as well as it can be harsh on the bird's system.

I perhaps would call again if she's not getting any better and ask for tests to be done.

Hopefully she'll feel better soon!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
With no testing, it is impossible to know whether the URI is caused by bacteria, virus, fungus, or even allergies. So using the baytril is like shooting in the dark.

We also don’t know if this is new or a continuation of the previous illness; it sounds like she didn’t recover fully the first time.

I would personally boost the immune system: egg food or boiled egg for protein, calcivet for calcium + vitamin D3, and Guardian Angel.

You can also switch your water to Neem tea (neem tea leaves are available through Amazon if you can’t find any at your local health food store)... these will not necessarily deal with the particular respiritory illness she is experiencing now, but neem tea will eradicate other parasites, fungi, and does act as an anti microbial so it may help.

If you use the tea tag me first and I’ll give you more specific instructions.

I see you have Pembroke Corgis! I had them from age 10 until this past February when my last one passed. :heart:

alexmait

Meeting neighbors
I have never used Baytril but this link says it can be used to treat the lungs...
Baytril Taste Tabs for Dogs & Cats - 1800PetMeds

If it were me, I would take her in to the veterinarian to have bood tests and a culture done. If your little one has lost 5-10% bodyweight or you notice she is eating significantly less than normal, I would start her on handfeeding formula. She needs nutrients to help get better and easy to digest foods.
Trust your intuition because you know her best.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Blood work and cultures will give a more definitive diagnosis. If a culture & sensitivity is done and bacteria or fungus found then the sensitivity part would determine which antibiotic/antifungal the "nasty invaders" are sensitive to so that the correct medication can be used to treat the infection. Hope your GCC will feel better soon.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I got her an appt this afternoon. She is down another 1g today, despite eating heartily. I asked about gram stain but the front desk person wasn’t sure if they have those. She admitted she isn’t a tech though and doesn’t really know.

Fingers crossed I guess.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Eating more than usual, would you say? Is there seed in her poo?

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Yesterday she had 3-4 tsps of Harrison’s pellets + fresh food + 1/4 tsp hemp seeds. This is a pretty typical day for her. No seeds in poop. Poop actually looks pretty great considering how sickly she must be feeling.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I hope the vet can solve this riddle! My Tucker was sick last year and kept losing wt, the vet used Baytril and it was NOT effective. He suffered so much. :(

Hey if the vet seems not to get it right don’t hesitate to go to another vet.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If they can't even do a gram stain, run away, fast.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That was the front desk, they never know anything.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh, I know. But in the event that they actually can't, that's a terrible sign.
Agree 100%. A gram stain is an elementary thing for a vet! Even a not-avian-specific vet!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the vet visit goes well, and that they can do some tests to find out how to get your little girl all better!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all goes well at the vet and they can figure out what is going on and help Gilly.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Dr. Orosz rarely prescribes baytril. Its usually clavamox, spectromycin(sp-red stuff in water) or a sulfa drug(?)...sorry can't remember the name and I don't have any on hand. I have had a few instances where something didn't clear up in 10 days and had to continue for 14. I have also had one instance where we switched meds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@webchirp trimethoprim sulfa? I like that one for finches.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Again no gram stain, even after I asked three times. Doxycycline .1 bid and probiotics for three weeks.

Unfortunately, I have no other “avian vets” near me. I am so upset I’m in tears.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Again no gram stain, even after I asked three times. Doxycycline .1 bid and probiotics for three weeks.

Unfortunately, I have no other “avian vets” near me. I am so upset I’m in tears.

Did you ask why they were not willing to do a gram stain or culture?
Maybe someone can recommend a vet to you if you give us your approximate location.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are there any non-avian vets with bird experience? Sounds like that would be better.