1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Upper Respiratory/Baytril?

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by haleybethg, 1/10/18.

1. enigma731

enigma731 Jogging around the block

Yeah, that sounds like congestion. Has she ever had a nasal flush? I'm wondering if she might just have some crud stuck up there.

2. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
  3. haleybethg

haleybethg Walking the driveway

Haley
    She has not had a flush. The vet mentioned doing it if we couldn’t get this resolved. I would NOT try it myself, especially after our last aspiration scare.

I’m planning to ask for gram stains, cultures and most likely blood work for both birds. I’m hoping since Gilly will be 8-9 days out from last antibiotic her tests will give us a better idea what’s going on.

finchly likes this.
  4. enigma731

enigma731 Jogging around the block

It's actually really easy to do at home, but definitely have your vet teach you if you decide to go that route :)

5. alexmait

alexmait Meeting neighbors

In the vid, it sounded like a sneeze.

I heard, but don't know how true it is, that sometimes a gram stain does not show any bacteria because there aren't enough in the sample taken, so bloodwork is done at the same time. Again, it depends on how well your little one is to tolerate it. It's too bad the vet could not safely do the blood test without using anesthesia.

I know of someone else who was using an antibiotic along with a natural remedy, Lomatium in a glycerin base, for her bird's respiratory infection...but it may have involved a different bacterium.

Also sometimes it can get stressful if too many remedies are introduced all at once.

6. haleybethg

haleybethg Walking the driveway

Haley
    I have cancelled the vet appointment for tomorrow. I’m afraid the stress of a 3 hour drive with my other (likely to be screaming the whole trip) bird will cause more damage than good. Going to try to get the vet on the phone to discuss options without my driving down there. I feel like I’m never going to get her well.

alexmait likes this.
  7. alexmait

alexmait Meeting neighbors

I wonder if you might consider re-starting her on the benebac probiotics, or possibly ask your vet about it too. Apparently, probiotics can help the immune system.

8. LailaB

LailaB Sitting on the front steps

LAILA BUTT
    Any updates? My parrot seems to be having an extremely similar problem.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)