• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doxycycline???? Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My GCC, Lucky has a bacterial infection. They put him first on Clavamox, but when the results came back, Clavamox won't help so he will be on Doxycycline. She said he may get sick from it and not eat. If he does then I will need to give him injections :scared3: 2 x daily. He is already mad at me for the oral med, but injections??? Anyone have any experience with Doxycycline and side effects?, taste? Any ideas??

Red Jasper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elizabeth
One of my birds is currently on WEEKLY injections for Doxy for an illness. She does not exhibit any side effects at this moment. The injection goes into the breast muscle, alternating sides with each injection.

Doxy is a rather strong antibiotic and I've never experienced it being used on respiratory bacterial infections but then again, I've had success with others prior to resorting to such a strong medication. Baytril or Bactrim is usually the drug/antibiotic of choice that I have seen for bacterial infections/upper respiratory.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bactrim: Co-trimoxazole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have you had bloodwork done on your bird? Has he tested positive for any of the known bird diseases? Chlamydophila? PBFD? Polyomavirus? Etc? It could be more than just a bacterial infection which is why your bird is not responding to a weaker antibiotic. In that case, I can see why your vet would resort to Doxy. Injections are said to work better than oral medications but twice a day (for how long?) it might get expensive!

Last edited:

carkam

Avenue Veteran
The vet said the bacteria is resistant to the one he is on now, and the sensitivity test showed that doxycycline is the med for the bacteria. Pseudomonus Sp??

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
i never saw any side effects :)

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Good!! Hope that is the case. Was it given for a bacterial infection?

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Also she said if this doesn't work it would be another injectionable med, didn't say what as she said we will discuss it if needed.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Danita, Did he still eat? I will be picking up the med later today so getting prepared. Also how did he seem to tolerate the taste?

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
That was the only antibiotic that cleared any of Tango's infection. I remember it not tasting well....(he kissed me after his dosage lol) but I don't remember him acting any more unusual than any other med. His infection also came back as resistant to basically every other antibiotic as well, which is why we used that one.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How bad is this bacterial infection? Why not try baytril or a holistic approach like Distilled Apple Cider Vinegar?

I gave the shot 2xs a day to Opa. Not fun. But I had it easy. Opa was a very good boy, took the injections as a champ.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Not sure exactally. The vet said that it was resistant to others and because of the sensitivity test felt the doxycycline was the best for this bacteria. (BTW Mecedez, this is the female vet at Dr. Unapproved vendor office.)

Red Jasper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elizabeth
My girl is still eating like a pig and shows no bad side effects after having the injections. She's maintaining good weight and is still her spunky, red-headed self. :)

It will affect various birds differently but if Lucky took the first meds rather well, chances are he'll do okay with the Doxy.

I'm just wondering why (since injections are very potent) he needs them twice a day... and for how long?

Did the doctor mention the name of the bacteria? Chlamydophila/Psittacosis is a bacteria most commonly treated by Doxy. Not trying to alarm you but the treatment you described is almost identical except that the injections are weekly not twice a day...

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope Lucky is feeling better soon.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Danita, Did he still eat? I will be picking up the med later today so getting prepared. Also how did he seem to tolerate the taste?
He didn't eat much at all, I had to really work it. I gave him his favorite things and monitored his weight. I spoon fed him warm foods through out the day. He was on it for several weeks and made it through fine.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Lucky has been on it for 2 doses and so far so good!! It is liquid form and 2 x daily for 10 days! He really hates getting medicated though!! poor guy!!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.