• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent *UPDATE POST #58* Itty bitty feetsy- I see it but the vet doesnt?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
What medication are you wanting? Maybe some anonymous soul out there can just drop it in the mail to you?
Meloxicam. Some one is dropping it in the mail... hoping it gets here by tomorrow or Wednesday. She just needs to hang on :(

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Sad shame ..... poor little bird. Hope the healx works.
Not sure if the HealX is working. Her feet look more 'dry' and crumbly so after today I might have to switch back to the ABBA care ointment. Or maybe ABBA care in the morning and HealX in the afternoon.

She is still eating and drinking well. No change except the feet look more 'dry', swelling is still severe. She is not nearly as vocal or playful and doesn't want to take a bath (very rare for her).

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
She is definitely going through a moult (or something). She has lost a few tail and wing feathers. Normally she doesn't lose this many at once...
Maybe the stress is from the molt is offsetting her internal equilibrium... or maybe she is not molting but losing feathers because it is more serious ??????

Head and neck are perfect and full. 4 feathers have fallen from one side of the tail, 2 wing feathers and a couple tummy feathers near her vent more than usual. Note: There is one pin feather where the 4 tail feathers fell out.

****Saya is 1 yr old on the 24th of January.****

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I hope the medication clears it up. Get better soon Saya, you still have many years here with your loving mama. :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Beeper used to do the breathing thing when she got overheated, a cool drink always fixed her right up. When she got sick her breathing was a lot worse then that but she would perk up for a bit after some meds but eventually whatever it was got her.
I think Saya will be fine once you get the better meds as to me the breathing doesn't look super serious yet. Praying for her.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She does look happier. :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Awe, that's so cute, Beeper would never allow that, nor would sisters normal Finch she had many years ago who lived a very long life.
We hand raised Beeper as a tiny fledgling barely feathered and she loved and was all over us but no touchie, even though she loved to sit on my hand and snooze.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
STRANGE UPDATE??????
So since we arrived they have been out of full spectrum bulbs. I didn't use any light, but noticed that is is EXTREMELY drank in comparison to what they are used
Awe, that's so cute, Beeper would never allow that, nor would sisters normal Finch she had many years ago who lived a very long life.
We hand raised Beeper as a tiny fledgling barely feathered and she loved and was all over us but no touchie, even though she loved to sit on my hand and snooze.
that was hubby's hand in the video. Hehe

Any person that will give her scritches, she is in love. Lol

This person will shoot me if he finds out (not my hubby... Lol 2nd nephew).
image.jpeg

Last edited:

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
So sorry Saya is not feeling well. Those footsies got to hurt! :(
She is probably feeling a bit better if she was willing to take a bath.
I am not familiar with different meds. Is Meloxicam just to treat the symptoms of inflammation, or is it treating what is causing the swelling? Do you narrow down what could be causing it?
Did any of those vets you called seem like they would be able to treat the cause once you can take her out of the house (which is coming up in a few days, right)?
Get better little Saya!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Loved the video!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
So sorry Saya is not feeling well. Those footsies got to hurt! :(
She is probably feeling a bit better if she was willing to take a bath.
I am not familiar with different meds. Is Meloxicam just to treat the symptoms of inflammation, or is it treating what is causing the swelling? Do you narrow down what could be causing it?
Did any of those vets you called seem like they would be able to treat the cause once you can take her out of the house (which is coming up in a few days, right)?
Get better little Saya!
The best any of the vets can tell it is caused by her liver. The last vet who saw her is highly educated. After discussing with his colleges, etc they assume her liver never properly developed due to improper incubation (i picked the eggs up off the ground after a hail storm and did the best I could to try and incubate them- turning them every couple hours, etc). So I went on a mission to provide the best supportive care possible.

However I wonder i it was her heart and circulation related like others have suggested. But the X-rays don't show any signs of heart. They can't take blood (enough to test with) as she is too small. So the amount of testing is minimal.

I need the mleoxicam (pet cam) as it will temporarily reduce the swelling and pain. Every couple months they swell again and she stays on meloxicam for 2-3 days and the swelling goes down. Then she is back to her old self.

UPDATE: this morning the swelling has gone down slightly. The foot which was paralyzed at birth is still swollen but had a reduction of about 10%, but the other has a reduction of about 50%

The meloxicam might be here later today.... crossing my fingers. The reduction is swelling I think is due to the increase in some of her homeopathic meds.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mythic, your amazing! I hope the meds get there today! Stalk the mail man...

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Mythic, your amazing! I hope the meds get there today! Stalk the mail man...
You are very kind. I figure... It was my decision to pick up those eggs and not just toss them. So it is my duty to care for them. I remember the first few days- I didn't have a aquarium/incubator thing set up. So I put the eggs back in the nest, and put the nest in a bathroom with a space heater and brought the heat up to about 94F (LMAO).

It was ridiculous. My husband thought I was in the 'coocoo nest'. Then finally I was able to set up a make shift incubator from a small aquarium and kept at it day after day. One morning I woke up and said 'They are not going to hatch, this is crazy, Im going to throw the eggs out' and I came downstairs and a worm had emerged! lol. 'Born in the night, so Saya she shall be called' and the rest is history ;)

I learned that Saya means 'born in the night' but in other languages it also means 'one of innocence' and 'one who makes people smile'. Very fitting.

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I really hope those meds get there soon!
I know you are giving tumeric and I have to say it helped my foot - have a neuroma and swelling around a nerve.
Her feet look so painful I cringe.
:sadhug2:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I hope the medication clears it up. Get better soon Saya, you still have many years here with your loving mama. :)
I want my grandchildren to meet her.
My son is in his 20's.... so one day, there will be little ones. I finished the drawings for the children book. I have this crazy notion that I can read it to them and Saya and meep and beep on my arm. But she needs to hang in there for many years.... I plan on her being a part of my life for as long as I can.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I want my grandchildren to meet her.
My son is in his 20's.... so one day, there will be little ones. I finished the drawings for the children book. I have this crazy notion that I can read it to them and Saya and meep and beep on my arm. But she needs to hang in there for many years.... I plan on her being a part of my life for as long as I can.
The power of love (and prayer) .....