• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent *UPDATE POST #58* Itty bitty feetsy- I see it but the vet doesnt?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Wow ...I cant believe she is having yet another issue ..poor girlie ...my heart goes out to you and your lil one ..I hope she gets back on track soon she needs a break ..sending hugs to the whole fam :hug8:

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Every nice! Toys?
Yes... zebra finches don't 'play/hang' or 'chew' like other birds. They like to pull on things, carry things, to make nests etc.

See those large threads attached to the branches? those are toys for them.... they were already making a fuss fighting over the one. They woke up, went down, then up to the very top and trying to determine the best way to remove the top thread as we speak (all bird safe, btw).

If you give them a standard 'bird toy' (the toy moves, hangs, etc which they don't like) they avoid it at all costs. haha.

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE:

Still more feather loss than I would like this morning in the bottom of the enclosure. I had to move a few branches around as Saya needed an extra 'jumping off' point to get up and down. She really doesn't fly well, so stays more in the middle. Zeka however is all over- all the time.

Droppings look good, not stressed (wet) and they are eating very well. Sara's feet are not overly swollen, I will apply the HealX to them after her bath and later a little olive oil to help with the dryness.

Say seems to enjoy the branch- I caught her a few times singing- and they are trying to determine territory, which is a very good thing.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Sounds like she is hopefully on the mend.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I didn't know that about finches for toys. Interesting!
Torn paper, string, horse hair, coconut fibers, wheat grass- those are toys to them. I tie them to branches and they try to remove them or 'store' them in an area and build a nest. Exciting to watch, and they have tons of fun.

When Saya was young, her favorite thing was 'fetch' I would rip a piece of kleenex and put it on the table and she would bring it back. She could do it for hours. Now she will carry around a piece in her mouth and bounce around on the sofa. Out of all my finches (40ct)- 1 female really enjoyed a swing. Cutest thing a fluffy finch in a tiny swing. But saya and zeka both want nothing to do with them.

I went from making large parrot toys (for my grey) to stripping and carving branches for birds to sit on ;P

Edit: interestingly enough- they also want nothing to do with the cuttlebone I bought here in USA. In dubai I had cuttlebone all over my back yard (which was a beach)- I would bring them in and sterilize them and they would go nuts. I put two in the cage as soon as they landed- they won't touch them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Edit: interestingly enough- they also want nothing to do with the cuttlebone I bought here in USA. In dubai I had cuttlebone all over my back yard (which was a beach)- I would bring them in and sterilize them and they would go nuts. I put two in the cage as soon as they landed- they won't touch them.
My tiel won't touch cuttlebone but he likes mineral block. You could maybe try that. http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Miner...&qid=1452713716&sr=8-3&keywords=mineral+block

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Sounds like she is hopefully on the mend.
Cant get over how cute your lovies are. Off topic: lovebirds have adorable faces- so do eclectus. Not sure what it is- but the eyes are clear and beaks stand out.
(as you can tell I am in a better mood now that it looks like they might be settling).

Waiting for those new feathers from Saya!!!!!

(I grind up a combination of cuddle bone, egg shells, mineral block and a few other ingredients. It is available to them 24/7 in a finger holder....)
- I have been keeping a diary of her trials and tribulations. There is corresponding issues with the availability of her Herbal Tonic ©, and nettle tea.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Baby Saya wanting millet vs Sad Saya because her 'leg was not working and her tummy felt funny'

(Im to coloring the simple drawings now as the illustrations are complete.... hope to be able to print end of next week)
-keeping things happy as I watch Saya like a hawk.
IMG_6096.JPG

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Awesome!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Wow, you are very talented!
Not as much as one would think, haha. You should see when i tried to draw her at 'worm stage'.... it looked like a horror flick. o_O

Thank you for your admiration, but I struggle often. There is one drawing I just can't get right (eggs in a basket). Everything else is ready for scanning/formatting.
(I personally hate two of the drawings.... but hubby says to be less nuts and let it go)
:shifty:

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Cant get over how cute your lovies are. Off topic: lovebirds have adorable faces- so do eclectus. Not sure what it is- but the eyes are clear and beaks stand out.
There is something about those little black eyes that draws you in. They are so cute that they end up getting away with stuff. :D

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I had some computer issues... the scanned files seem to be corrupt or something. Need to go to the apple store and have them look at it- scanning again would be very unfortunate :(

I hope to have this all wrapped up by the end of the March (printed and ready to go).

Saya and Zeka are ok- As the moult subsided they started to feel better. Zeka is still a little fluffed often, but no other signs of illness. Saya is almost back to her old self as long as she stays on the protocol- if I slip up and just give her dry seed everything changed dramatically.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I wish I could know how Saya and Zeka's brains have reacted to the move from UAE to MN. It is such a huge change of geography, their brains had to notice it. Literally, the sun and moon have changed half the earth's circumference. Is that what caused the molt? How will their hormonal systems react? Birds are so photoperiodic and dependent on the natural earth events, it has to be quite a shock to their system.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your computer issues but glad Saya and Zeka are doing OK. Hope you are doing well, too.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I wish I could know how Saya and Zeka's brains have reacted to the move from UAE to MN. It is such a huge change of geography, their brains had to notice it. Literally, the sun and moon have changed half the earth's circumference. Is that what caused the molt? How will their hormonal systems react? Birds are so photoperiodic and dependent on the natural earth events, it has to be quite a shock to their system.
I wish I knew....
It prompted such a heavy molt I wasnt sure if either of them would survive. It started after we had been here for a few weeks- so I am sure that had something to do with it.