• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent *UPDATE POST #58* Itty bitty feetsy- I see it but the vet doesnt?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Bless her little:heart: :gbh: for you both

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I have had hens remove feathers when:
1. Nesting behavior. They want nesting material so they pull out feathers. It also allows more skin contact with eggs and young

2. Iodine deficiency when I got new birds in the aviary

3. Being plucked, or plucking themselves from stress

This happened in the last week or so as when the vet came to swab- she had full plumage (as far as I could see). Then she got very swollen feet, now her feet are fine but she has barely any feathers on her stomach.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Do you think the foot ointment caused them to fall out or be plucked?
you said she was getting pretty goopy.
are you still using that same ointment?

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Poor sweetheart. Maybe she just needs time to settle in and get back into a routine. Hope she is feeling better soon.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sweet little bird. I hope she starts feeling better. Maybe just stress?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Do you think the foot ointment caused them to fall out or be plucked?
you said she was getting pretty goopy.
are you still using that same ointment?
I wondered that myself.

I am not applying the ointment at this time. I stopped a couple days ago.

That doesn't explain the 4 tail feathers that fell out tho. When I get back home in a few days I will look for pin feathers. If I find them, then I think everything will be ok.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps there could be some stress related factor with all the she has been through or maybe she had a night fright of some kind and they fell out?? Hope, as always, that all will be well.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Wow, I had so much to catch up on!

Not sure if the HealX is working. Her feet look more 'dry' and crumbly so after today I might have to switch back to the ABBA care ointment. Or maybe ABBA care in the morning and HealX in the afternoon.

She is still eating and drinking well. No change except the feet look more 'dry', swelling is still severe. She is not nearly as vocal or playful and doesn't want to take a bath (very rare for her).

I wanted to comment on this. We used HEALx on Rhubarb when she had deep wounds on her elbow and back. It does get crumbly when it builds up. Thankfully it's water soluble and washes away easily. We didn't see any feather loss when using this, though we did have to give long baths once a week to soak it out of Rhubarb's feathers.

Turmeric is almost a miracle to me. There's a good deal of scientific research on it. In addition to pain relief, it also helps with kidney function and reduces overall inflammation. And while it may not be a big deal for Saya right now, it also reduces the risk of some cancers and preserves brain health over time.

Rhubarb gets some turmeric every day, morning and evening in her cherry juice. We also add milk thistle and a bit of powdered glucosamine/chondroitin. We had really look for a glucosamine supplement that didn't include vitamin D. We learned that supplementing vitamin D can cause some big problems in birds with kidney issues... Especially when the bird isn't getting enough vitamin A. Turns out that orange veggies are rich vitamin A, so there are always carrots, squash and sweet potatoes at our house! (Often found together in a salt-free yellow curry.)

Hopefully Saya is doing better today!
Hugs from rainy California!

Edit: At the suggestion of our vet we've recently increased the amount of omega-3's in Rhubarbs diet by adding flax seed and flax meal to her morning oatmeal. Her feather condition has improved surprisingly since then. Maybe it's a change in her preen gland oil?

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Wow, I had so much to catch up on!

I wanted to comment on this. We used HEALx on Rhubarb when she had deep wounds on her elbow and back. It does get crumbly when it builds up. Thankfully it's water soluble and washes away easily. We didn't see any feather loss when using this, though we did have to give long baths once a week to soak it out of Rhubarb's feathers.

Turmeric is almost a miracle to me. There's a good deal of scientific research on it. In addition to pain relief, it also helps with kidney function and reduces overall inflammation. And while it may not be a big deal for Saya right now, it also reduces the risk of some cancers and preserves brain health over time.

Rhubarb gets some turmeric every day, morning and evening in her cherry juice. We also add milk thistle and a bit of powdered glucosamine/chondroitin. We had really look for a glucosamine supplement that didn't include vitamin D. We learned that supplementing vitamin D can cause some big problems in birds with kidney issues... Especially when the bird isn't getting enough vitamin A. Turns out that orange veggies are rich vitamin A, so there are always carrots, squash and sweet potatoes at our house! (Often found together in a salt-free yellow curry.)

Hopefully Saya is doing better today!
Hugs from rainy California!

Edit: At the suggestion of our vet we've recently increased the amount of omega-3's in Rhubarbs diet by adding flax seed and flax meal to her morning oatmeal. Her feather condition has improved surprisingly since then. Maybe it's a change in her preen gland oil?
She doesn't seem to mind her turmeric, milk thistle, tart cherry and aloe and has it twice a day in her veggie/sprouted seed mix :) -Her nettle and dandelion tea seems to help as well.

--
I returned home, and there was a slew of feathers all over the bottom of the cage. She is in there with Zeka- and some of the feathers were hers, but it is still too many.

Saya sits next to her featherlite full spectrum light and preens. I am watching her like a hawk- but I don't see her visibly plucking (of course she is super small, so it is hard to tell). Feather loss seems to be on her underbelly (brooding feather location), and then the tail feathers that fell out (but someone times she does have strange moults- example: one side of her head at once).

Saya is not a 'flier' she can't do it very well. Never could/wanted too except back and fourth in her enclosure or from the coffee table to moms lap/head. Her desire to fly became less and less as she got older. (Zeka flies like crazy- chases me around the house and demands attention). However I have noticed her throwing little fits- jumping from branch branch screaming 'let me out- there is not enough room!'

I am setting up the large enclosure now that is came over- 3ft high, 30 inches long and 18 inches deep. Zeka will be very happy- and hubby thinks the larger cage will make Saya happier. I am a little apprehensive (or helicopter mom syndrome) as I feel like she is 'comfortable' in this small one.... but:
  • I wonder if she is very bored, and needs more stimulation (which a larger enclosure would provide- similar to what she is used too)
  • Better access to the bottom of the enclosure for her bath, food dishes, etc
  • Leave the enclosure open so she can come and go as she sees fit during play time
  • The new cage placement means that there is more privacy (plants on the exterior, further away from household lighting, etc)

-I think I need to add extra branches as I want to make sure she can reach everything and doesn't have any problems. She is not a rodent- she is a bird, so having more room might do her very well. What do you think? new big enclosure with toys?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it sounds like a good idea. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think you are awesome. Hubby would have put me on major medication by now.

She was used to the big enclosure.....so I say go for it. Maybe this is just a molt

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I think you are awesome. Hubby would have put me on major medication by now.

She was used to the big enclosure.....so I say go for it. Maybe this is just a molt
Love my hubby. If I complain he always finds the 'easiest way'- meaning, make it bigger, stronger, nicer. As it drives him nuts to hear me constantly going 'what if, or I could, or maybe...'
LOL

Her 'palace' is coming in the crate... in about 4 months or so.
-Im off to Parrot Island to go look for some new branches to ease my babies limbs. I should have the enclosure done by today- I noticed they sleep on the manzanita branch, but during the day they like the twisty rope. Ill transfer those items- but buy more stuff... hoping they have one of those perches with the strings (or ill make one now that there is room in the enclosure)- that was easily their favorite- they love to pull on strings and play. I have not seen them 'play' much since we got here.

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I also vote for bigger enclosure. It will encourage her to be more active, and maybe that will improve circulation in her feet.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
-I prefer to use natural wood- but it would be wet, then disinfect, then dry, and I need my tools, etc, etc.

I went on a shopping spree. I even was able to get some bird safe string for them to play with to attach to branches. I left them watch as I put the entire thing together (it is so easy with the screw on branches- before I was cutting/drilling/measuring).

Thus far, neither of them know quite what to do- no singing, no moving. I think they are trying to determine what exactly this is...
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 3.38.07 PM.png
IMG_6081.JPG

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue