• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<UPDATE BLOODWORK>Tequila is not feeling well - Update post 293

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Re: Tequila is not feeling well - Update post 89

Ok talked to BF on the phone and got a different idea. My bulb is 100 watts, gives off a nice steady heat. The fixture is good up to 150 watt. So here is what I did. I will check the temp in a little bit. Betty suggested a quilt instead of a sheet, but I think this will work. Sorry the pics are dark, it is cloudy and dark and I dont have time to Picnik the pics. :)

Attachments

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

So now the lamp is shining down on him about 12 inches away and nothing is touching the lamp or the fixture.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

I think Tequila thinks I have lost my mind! :hehe: It already feels warmer in his cage. Its a nice steady heat over where his perch is.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

You really need (or should I say your bird really needs) to get the ambient temperature (which is the air temp. all around the bird, not just on one side of the bird) up to the degree # another poster mentioned (85 - 87 degrees - sometimes even slightly warmer but gradually to top out at no more than around 90 degrees F - remember, very important to do so gradually, not all of a sudden). A regular wire cage does not hold the heat very well and a towel on top of the cage or around the cage can pose a fire danger etc. ... Best to put together or purchase a hospital type enclosure/tank that holds the heat well - like a glass aquarium with a wire top and newspaper placed on top (only if needed) to keep the temp. where you want it. You will have to adjust the paper for ventilation of course and due to temp. fluctuations in your home during the day vs. during the night. Never cover the whole top with newspaper or any other material. Make sure to have a good quality thermometer (and a back-up second one is best). Make sure you keep a glass enclosure extremely clean (daily).

The way you can attach that heat emitter shroud in your picture to your cage is to drill small holes in the lip of the shround around the circumference. Do the drilling away from the bird of course, so as not to scare it. You really only need one hole at the top and maybe one at the bottom. Then take a piece of wire and thread it thru the hole(s) and tie the shroud to the cage. Very simple. Attach the heat emitter in the shroud right next to a perch, one with a little length so the bird can move away from the heat easily if it wants to.

If using a glass aquarium (better than a wire cage IMO & IME) as your hospital enclosure/tank/cage, you can put a heating pad that covers the whole bottom (under the glass) or most of the whole bottom. Set on "high" in most cases and then place some newspaper on the bottom inside and on top of that place about an inch or so of untreated pine shavings. Cover that with some paper towels and change when soiled. You can attach a perch inside the aquarium also if you are handy and inventive.

Good luck.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Does he seem to like it?
I think Tequila thinks I have lost my mind! :hehe: It already feels warmer in his cage. Its a nice steady heat over where his perch is.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

Not a good or really beneficial setup IMO & IME. Sorry, I'm sure you did not want to hear that, just trying to help. Heat rises, so putting the lamp up top is not nearly as good as putting it on the side of the bird next to a perch. Still best to use a glass enclosure if you can buy or borrow one soon. Maybe a neighbor can lend you one if you don't have one. They are cheap though, 10 gallon is all ya need.

You don't want the top of your bird's head to get over heated, you want the ambient temp. to be warm, all around the bird.

Good luck.

Ok talked to BF on the phone and got a different idea. My bulb is 100 watts, gives off a nice steady heat. The fixture is good up to 150 watt. So here is what I did. I will check the temp in a little bit. Betty suggested a quilt instead of a sheet, but I think this will work. Sorry the pics are dark, it is cloudy and dark and I dont have time to Picnik the pics. :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Yes Danita he does seem to like it. Prince TB I appreciate all your "expertise" but I need to do what I think is best. I dont want my bird in an aquarium, I know my bird and he would not thrive in that situation. His cage has warmed up considerably AND he is munching away in there on snow peas and some seeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn

I'm glad you found a way to warm up his cage. And, him munching away is definitely a good thing:)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Thats great news he is eating :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

Pat that set up looks great to me, and you need to keep him feeling secure as well as warm...I think you are doing that. :hug8:

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica

Tequila is looking mighty fine! :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block

So glad to hear he's doing better, Pat!
And glad most of the posts were supportive. :cool:

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea

:hug8:

Quest

Real Name
Judy

Pat,
I hope Tequila is getting better every minute.
Hang in there and keep us updated.
Judy

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

Pat you are doing a fantastic job with Tequila. I am so happy that he is progressing so well. :hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I like hospital cages for mine when they are sick (fortunately its been rare) but I have also had luck in a pinch to use an open cage too (with keeping the whole room warm and an additional heat source). Some birds dont do well in hospital cages and for those I just heat the whole room, its just not as easy. I really like the oil-filled radiators to heat a single room, I use one in this room in the winter because I dont like to be cold at all ;)

The hospital cage is what my first CAV taught me and what I do. EPAH : Birds : An Overview - Emergency Care

Im glad your setup is working Pat. How warm were you able to get his area?

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Its at 80 degrees right now Jill.

Status
Not open for further replies.