• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<UPDATE BLOODWORK>Tequila is not feeling well - Update post 293

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Re: Tequila is not feeling well - Update post 89

I am glad that he is doing better :hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

He had a really good evening. After his handfeeding he ate some sprouts and some sugar snap peas on his own. Hopefully we will have the bloodwork back tomorrow.

That is so great. It sounds like he is on the mend!! yay!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Thank you guys. He ate good at lunch with his handfeeding and was actually perching on one foot when I was leaving to come back to work. Leaving work early today so hope to touch base with the vet. If he doesnt have the bloodwork today, definately will be tomorrow.

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

Both of you, keep up the good work.

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I called the vet this afternoon and he was actually reviewing the bloodwork when I called. I have limited information because I was trying to write key words while he was talking. Basically in the Chem Panel he said the muscle enzymes were elevated which means he was breaking down muscle. I believe he said the AST and kreyosotes were elevated. His feeling about this was that Tequila may have been sick for a bit before he showed signs of illness. Albumin, calcium and uric acid were a bit low. I think he said the albumin and calcium levels kind of go hand in hand with each other so it made sense both were low and also probably because he is sick. The CBC indicated a bacterial infection and my notes say 2500 band but I dont remember everything he said to go along with that. His white blood count was 26,000, normal range is 8-17,000. He feels we are on the right course of treatment. He asked me how Tequila was doing and I told him what has been transpiring. He asked me if he was eating on his own and I said not alot. Do you think by now Tequila should be eating more on his own than he is? I asked him if maybe he wasnt eating a lot because of the handfeeding and he felt he should still be wanting his normal food. I didnt think about the fact that many people say Baytril can decrease appetite so I'll have to remember to mention that to him. So he felt the bloodwork could have been much worse. I feel better knowing he feels we are on the right course of treatment. I am bringing him in for a followup appointment Friday morning. I will get a copy of the bloodwork. Can you guys think of anything specific I should ask and what are your thoughts about what I just posted?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im really glad you got the bloodwork done Pat. It sure sounds like everything is pointing in the direction you were already going with treatment so that is a good thing. How many days has he been on the Baytril now?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
three and one half Jill. He started it Thursday and has had one dose today.

birdman78

Real Name
John
Glad you finally got some news back. If I remember correctly, elevated white blood cells means body fighting an invection

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know many of my guys have had a decreased appetite on baytril. They werent seriously sick (minor bacterial infections) and they werent of their food before treatment but did go off a bit during. I think it could be either reason - he is still not feeling great yet but it could certainly be the medicine contributng. I know you are weighing him so that will tell you a lot. When Wyatt was sick, she wasnt eating anything and even with handfeeding she dropped weight. Since Tequila is maintaining with what you are doing, that is a good thing. Hopefully as he feels better and finishes up with his meds you will see the appetite improve too, but its still something to keep an eye on of course.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you Jill. Yes I am weighing him every morning. When I went into check on him he had eaten some food because his remenents were on the bottom of the cage. :lol: I told him he needs to start eating on his own to help him get better. Yes John the vet said that is exactly what the elevated WBC means.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Glad He is doing better and that The treatment is the right one:) Healing thoughts and prayers still coming:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Pat,

Is he still limping? Elevated muscle enzymes can come from an undiagnosed injury. Did they figure out why he was limping?

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thanks guys. Ginger I'll have to mention that to the vet. Actually he hasnt walked around much but I will put him down and try to get him to walk. He seems to have turned a corner. He has been eating his food, he is more alert, I put his full spectrum light on over his cage and he seemed very happy about that. Even my husband is saying how much better he looks. I am hoping by time he is finished his meds I will have my healthy baby back. I took some pics of him tonight, I will try to upload later.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am so glad that he is better! Prayers will continue!

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Pat,
I signed on just to see how Tequila
was doing. Boy am I pleased to hear
he is improving. Good news!
Judy

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Pat,

I am so glad to hear that Tequila is doing better!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I'm glad he seems to be feeling better!

ETA: OOH! Radiographs! Neat, I love looking at these! Did the vet say anything about all the bright white specks in his proventriculus/ventriculus?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.