• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<UPDATE BLOODWORK>Tequila is not feeling well - Update post 293

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
The last one where you can see his feathers is really cool!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I'm glad he seems to be feeling better!

ETA: OOH! Radiographs! Neat, I love looking at these! Did the vet say anything about all the bright white specks in his proventriculus/ventriculus?
He showed me where the areas should be dark and clear. I am not sure about what you are talking about. Is that something other than the areas that indicate the pneunomia?
The last one where you can see his feathers is really cool!
Yea it is pretty neat.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Wow those are really cool. I wouldn't know how to tell if something was wrong or not but he looks like a little alligator in the 2nd one :hehe:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Chris in the second xray down near his air sacs where on the right hand side you see that black area that looks like a crescent moon? Then look on the opposite side, see how it is cloudy? It should be black and clear like the other side. He does look like an alligator!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is really neat Pat, thanks for posting them :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Thanks again everyone. These are his xrays that were taken if anyone is interested in looking at them. They are pretty neat.
OMG Pat!! Those x-rays are :wow:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran

He showed me where the areas should be dark and clear. I am not sure about what you are talking about. Is that something other than the areas that indicate the pneunomia?

Yea it is pretty neat.
If you look at the side views (laterals) you can see some bright white (radioopaque) dots about the level of the middle of his femur. On the DV, or straight on view, you can see them just to the right of his spine, about the level of his hip joints. Bright white like that is usually mineral or metal, and the location it's in seems to be Tequila's stomach or gizzard. Does he have access to grit/metal/cuttlebone/egg shells that he might have eaten chunks of and they're sitting there? The fact that there's stuff there doesn't mean it's necessarily a problem, just like sometimes dogs and kids eat things that don't pass right away, but it is something I personally would ask about since normal parrot food doesn't show up like that (and I'm endlessly curious and pepper my vet with questions constantly).

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Glad to hear he's feeling better. Those x-rays are really cool to look at. Thanks for sharing.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I'm so glad he's on the mend.

If he hasn't lost major weight that is a good sign. When Maxie finally took ill from the giardia she(a tiel) went from 96 grams to 79 in just a few days.

birdman78

Real Name
John
I just saw and thought something neat. We love our fids and our fids love us. (most of the time :hehe:) If you look at the second x-ray pic, his body looks like a heart. :heart: Guess they are built of love. Ok, I know, I am a dork. :D

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
If you look at the side views (laterals) you can see some bright white (radioopaque) dots about the level of the middle of his femur. On the DV, or straight on view, you can see them just to the right of his spine, about the level of his hip joints. Bright white like that is usually mineral or metal, and the location it's in seems to be Tequila's stomach or gizzard. Does he have access to grit/metal/cuttlebone/egg shells that he might have eaten chunks of and they're sitting there? The fact that there's stuff there doesn't mean it's necessarily a problem, just like sometimes dogs and kids eat things that don't pass right away, but it is something I personally would ask about since normal parrot food doesn't show up like that (and I'm endlessly curious and pepper my vet with questions constantly).
Thank you I will ask my vet about it. No he does not have grit,metals or cuttlebone but I do add the eggshells when I make birdy bread. I will let you know what he says. :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I just saw and thought something neat. We love our fids and our fids love us. (most of the time :hehe:) If you look at the second x-ray pic, his body looks like a heart. :heart: Guess they are built of love. Ok, I know, I am a dork. :D
:hug8::heart:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks for taking the time for an update.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tequila's xrays are amazing, so glad that there is this type of technology for our babies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Tequila's xrays are amazing, so glad that there is this type of technology for our babies.
This vet has all the state of the art equipment. He does Equine vet care as well. I guess they have a large room in the back where they can actually bring horses right into his building!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

This vet has all the state of the art equipment. He does Equine vet care as well. I guess they have a large room in the back where they can actually bring horses right into his building!
Wow, how lucky you are to have your vet available to your babies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Wow, how lucky you are to have your vet available to your babies.
It isnt a certified avian vet but am so pleased with the way they handled Tequila's illness. They definately seemed like they were comfortable with birds, even the vet tech that went over his discharge papers with me.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Just checking in on you two. The x-rays were really neat to look at.

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

My vet isn't avian certified either but he is wonderful with my birds and me and he is very knowledgeable. I trust him completely. He use to work with a certified avian vet in another town.

It isnt a certified avian vet but am so pleased with the way they handled Tequila's illness. They definately seemed like they were comfortable with birds, even the vet tech that went over his discharge papers with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.