• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Sweet Sydney no longer puffs up like a little porcupine whenever my son and I enter his room!:dance4:
However, he has selected me as his love interest, which means that I can't talk to him without him wanting to get romantic.
We're still taking it very, very slowly with out of cage time, because we aren't able to get him back inside without it becoming a negative event for him.
A treat to return doesn't help?

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Nope. He switches gears and goes from being flirtatious to attack/aggressive mode. Having been cage bound for so many years triggers him.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Nope. He switches gears and goes from being flirtatious to attack/aggressive mode. Having been cage bound for so many years triggers him.
So he's scared that once he goes in he'll never come out again?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had this problem with Taco macaw as well. When you've been cagebound for nearly your whole life it's hard to understand that you're not going back in forever. :(

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Have you tried standing on the other side of the cage (opposite the door) and talking sweetly while someone else puts him in? My thought is that he'll be so interested in talking to you, that he may not notice that he's going in his cage - you talking to him and then giving him a pet or a song after he's in may turn it into a positive event.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Also - a cage with a large door is always easier than a smaller door. Less chance of hooking a bar if they're reluctant, and they just seem to notice the transition less with a much larger door.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Have you tried standing on the other side of the cage (opposite the door) and talking sweetly while someone else puts him in? My thought is that he'll be so interested in talking to you, that he may not notice that he's going in his cage - you talking to him and then giving him a pet or a song after he's in may turn it into a positive event.
So far he's only allowing me to handle him at select times. My son can handle him on occasion, but he's been so busy and away from home so much that I've now become the primary rehabber.

I was away for the last 5 days attending a convention. When I came back, I walked into his room and shouted, 'Sydney!' He didn't fluff up at all and immediately began his flirtatiousness.
Tomorrow I'll return the focus on getting him more comfortable being out of his cage.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am so happy to read about his progress. He is so lucky to have found you and your family. Hopefully he will soon understand he is never going to be cage bound again.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's our dear Sydney? He looks fantastic! :heart2: How is he coming along?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Oh my gosh! He looks wonderful!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you! He's doing great! The only issue I'm having with him is that he's chosen me as his mate, and really turns on his charms whenever I either enter the room, speak to him, or touch him. However, when that switch turns off, he can become wary.

He's still in my son's room, mainly because I've run out of comfortable room elsewhere. So he's still pretty much isolated from where all the action is. Might have to get another double cage at some point.

When I go back to page one of this thread, and look at how emaciated he was inside that carrier, I realize just how far he's come in such a very short period of time.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you! He's doing great! The only issue I'm having with him is that he's chosen me as his mate, and really turns on his charms whenever I either enter the room, speak to him, or touch him. However, when that switch turns off, he can become wary.

He's still in my son's room, mainly because I've run out of comfortable room elsewhere. So he's still pretty much isolated from where all the action is. Might have to get another double cage at some point.

When I go back to page one of this thread, and look at how emaciated he was inside that carrier, I realize just how far he's come in such a very short period of time.

Hard to believe he came from that oven-like rat box. You've done a great job!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
He looks wonderful.