• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
@Nikomania thank you and your son and the owner’s son for your incredible heart, patience, empathy, love, and most of all the determination and grit it took to save Sydney from such deplorable conditions. I read this whole thread in one go, and I so hoped that you would keep him. He deserves to spend his life surrounded by such unconditional love and understanding.

CAGs are my dream bird. I know I’m not ready yet and I plan to foster for a few years to really be prepared before I bring home my own rescue. Having the opportunity to hear your story and see your beautiful boy develop was an absolute privilege.

Thank you for sharing this journey with us and thank you all for saving Sydney.:heart::heart::heart::hug8:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
To everyone: :heart: :hug8:Thank you!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You deserve the compliments - Sydney is a reflection of your hard work and love.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well lo and behold, Sydney's beginning to say a few words! He talks up a gibberish storm all day long as it is. So much so that I'm usually tuned out to most of it. But today mixed in I heard 'Hello' and 'I love you'!:heart:

These are the first 2 phrases I've heard him say since he'd once said 'You're stupid' a few months back. I'll take 'Hello' and 'I love you' over that awful phrase any day!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
So heartwarming :heart::swoon::heart:
Also I love birdie gibberish :lol:But its nice when they say something you understand. :)

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
That is so awesome. How is it going getting him to step up and come out of his cage? Is he still hunkering down or is he being a little more social for him?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
He will step up, but as soon as I take a few steps away from his cage, he becomes extremely anxious. So we usually just hang out together next to his cage.
Baby steps. Baby steps.

That's still wonderful considering his past.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think so, too.

The thing I've noticed about Sydney is that he's in his own world most of the time. He's quick to engage in vocalizations back and forth, but when I'm talking to him next to his cage his little mind seems to be off in the distance. My other greys engage with intent. With Sydney he's always looking elsewhere with a disconnect. When he does connect, it's only when he's feeling amorous.

That's the damage from all those years living in isolation. He's had to create his own world in order to survive.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My other greys engage with intent.

That's the damage from all those years living in isolation. He's had to create his own world in order to survive.
He's scared to love.

I get that.

But man, he's coming around pretty fast for the horror he lived through.

Way to go girl.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sydney's ability to retreat into his own world reminds me of Argus, a horse rescued from appalling conditions that remind me a lot of Sydney's horror shed. Argus' rehabilitator documented his journey from rescue until his untimely death. This post in particular reminds me of Sydney: From Hell To Heaven: Saving Argus: Two Years!

Sydney has already made enormous strides in the few months he's been with you. He has a lot to heal from, but his progress so far is remarkable.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sydney's ability to retreat into his own world reminds me of Argus, a horse rescued from appalling conditions that remind me a lot of Sydney's horror shed. Argus' rehabilitator documented his journey from rescue until his untimely death. This post in particular reminds me of Sydney: From HE double hockey sticks To Heaven: Saving Argus: Two Years!

Sydney has already made enormous strides in the few months he's been with you. He has a lot to heal from, but his progress so far is remarkable.

OMG, this is just like Sydney! You're absolutely right.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Just caught this thread...first, to echo the entire Avenue....THANK YOU! Second, if Sydney would happen to need a ride to @BirdManDan 's, George and I are planning to leave California in the late Spring to head back to the Tennessee/Virginia/North Carolina areas to again look to purchase our forever home. As we are full time RV'er's a side trip to Florida would be no inconvenience. I lived in Florida from 1980 to 1987 and have always wanted to go back and visit my old stomping grounds. Or, maybe I could keep him?

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
@tka thanks for the link to the wonderful story of Argus. We are planning on adopting a rescued horse (and a burro) as soon as we find that piece of property that is to be our forever home...hopefully that will happen this Spring.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@tka thanks for the link to the wonderful story of Argus. We are planning on adopting a rescued horse (and a burro) as soon as we find that piece of property that is to be our forever home...hopefully that will happen this Spring.
You're welcome - I can't read that blog without crying. Good luck in finding that special place!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just caught this thread...first, to echo the entire Avenue....THANK YOU! Second, if Sydney would happen to need a ride to @BirdManDan 's, George and I are planning to leave California in the late Spring to head back to the Tennessee/Virginia/North Carolina areas to again look to purchase our forever home. As we are full time RV'er's a side trip to Florida would be no inconvenience. I lived in Florida from 1980 to 1987 and have always wanted to go back and visit my old stomping grounds. Or, maybe I could keep him?
Thank you! I truly appreciate your amazing offer! I haven't heard anything from Bird Man Dan.