• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I actually began looking for the 'unhappy little dog'. Sydney got me good!:rofl:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You know what? He probably isn't being yelled at to "shut up" so now that he's coming out of his shell you're hearing what the rest of his world used to be like.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think you're right. I did hear that his previous owner also didn't treat his small dogs very well. Kept them locked up inside their hot garage. Surprise surprise. Guess I'm now hearing the dogs' pleading cries through Sydney, and it's making me feel very sad.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I think you're right. I did hear that his previous owner also didn't treat his small dogs very well. Kept them locked up inside their hot garage. Surprise surprise. Guess I'm now hearing the dogs' pleading cries through Sydney, and it's making me feel very sad.
This isn't going to be any consolation but maybe a "heads up". An AA member in MN had adopted a rescued 'too (I believe it was) several years ago. As the bird slowly adapted to her home she'd mentioned that some of the sounds he was making were bone-chilling. A woman's voice begging "don't, please don't", a young child's voice crying and screaming "no, no, no", "please don't hit me" and things like that. She'd said her bird was scared to death of anything that resembled a broom and would literally freak out - all of this giving her more than a vague idea of what her 'too's prior home must have been like.

As you said, it would make anyone sad when you're faced with a reality like that.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This isn't going to be any consolation but maybe a "heads up". An AA member in MN had adopted a rescued 'too (I believe it was) several years ago. As the bird slowly adapted to her home she'd mentioned that some of the sounds he was making were bone-chilling. A woman's voice begging "don't, please don't", a young child's voice crying and screaming "no, no, no", "please don't hit me" and things like that. She'd said her bird was scared to death of anything that resembled a broom and would literally freak out - all of this giving her more than a vague idea of what her 'too's prior home must have been like.
:sad6: How sad that the world is like that. Another member's macaw's phrases were recently used as evidence in a child custody case, if I'm not mistaken. I'll try to find the link.

At least Sydney is safe and will never be in questionable circumstances again. :hug8:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@SandraK that truly is bone chilling. Don't know how I could bear to hear that day in and day out. My mind would be working over time, wondering about his former abusive home.
@faislaq I would love to give that macaw a huge macadamia nut and a big scritch for his having helped to protect that child. Love this!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Found it! It's sad, but he saved a little boy. :)
On a side note, we can feel a little satisfaction as Harvey sort of got his day in court. It's sad but He says no, stop it. Stop it davey. I cant take it anymore. I hate you.
Davey is one of the abusive wretches kids. Poor little guy is 4. His dad ended up getting custody as she was apparently abusive to the dog too, someone caught her and she was caught cutting herself. Okay it's sad and she needs mental help but Harvey helped that little boy since the grandmas attorney had proof of what was said. A good end for child and bird.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kamara makes desperate whining dog sounds too, and her swears have become very aggressive, like a man shouting. She also screams "NO" a lot, and adding to that her absolute terror of humans, I don't imagine her last home was a healthy or safe one to live in. :(

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my gosh, what a story! 114 degree heat, and bone chilling cold - unbelievable, and as others have said, it breaks my old heart to think of other birds living in the same conditions. What a fabulous rehab he is having in his new home, thank God that son kept your son informed, and realized Sydney's plight. I just looked to see what the low temps are for San Diego in the winter... 40+F degrees in January? Poor baby. And the rats - holy smokes, I can't stand thinking about it. I am SO glad he is okay now, and hope that he will find a wonderful forever home when you go to place him. My hugs and love to our Sydney! :heart:

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie

As you said, it would make anyone sad when you're faced with a reality like that.

Oh holy...

You had me bawling like a baby. A Grey might pick up something like that after one or twice, but 'toos aren't generally that great at picking up phrases... how many times did it have to be repeated for him to pick it up...?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well, Sydney just uttered his very first phrase tonight after being here for a month in the gravelliest male voice: "Hey Stupid" :sad8:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I really didn't think he could talk. I do know of a few CAGs who don't and thought he could be one of them.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I was going to hit like, but am having a very mixed reaction. How sad of what the phrase is, he has a lot to overcome. How wonderful it is that he is talking, he must be feeling safe.
Me too! My thumb stopped just short of hitting the like button...

Glad he spoke, sorry for the words he chose. Hope those weren't the most frequent.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I really didn't think he could talk. I do know of a few CAGs who don't and thought he could be one of them.
I'm glad he's starting to talk, though what a heart-wrenching start.

My last CAG never spoke in front of me. I knew she could, because I heard her mumbling the occasional word to herself if I was in another room. But apparently after I rehomed her (she hated my spouse, and after two years of trying I gave up and found her a new home who loved her as much as I did), she became an absolute chatterbox! Made me both happy and sad to hear about. XD

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well, Sydney just uttered his very first phrase tonight after being here for a month in the gravelliest male voice: "Hey Stupid" :sad8:
Many hugs to you and a scratch or treat for Sydney - you're both dealing with his past. :hug8::hug8:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sweet Sydney no longer puffs up like a little porcupine whenever my son and I enter his room!:dance4:
However, he has selected me as his love interest, which means that I can't talk to him without him wanting to get romantic.
We're still taking it very, very slowly with out of cage time, because we aren't able to get him back inside without it becoming a negative event for him.