• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sydney's owner purchased him as a baby 12 years ago. She took very good care of him the first 4 years of his life. Unfortunately, she became terminally ill with cancer and passed away.

For the past 8 years, Sydney's owner's husband has been caring for the bird. Sadly, he thought he was doing right by Sydney, only the following images of Sydney's deplorable conditions speak otherwise.

Sydney has been living in a cage inside a makeshift shack for the last 8 years without heat during the winter or any way to cool down during the hot summer months. His owner placed a tiny fan on top of his cage which essentially circulated the same hot air throughout his enclosure.

An open bucket of basic seed sat next to his cage. Rats quickly discovered the food source, chewed through the screen and would scamper throughout Sydney's shack as well as through his food.

Sydney was lucky if his owner remember to feed him every 3 days. Today his water bowl was bone dry, the outside temperature had climbed to 114 and there were only a few morsels of seed left inside his bowl. The floor underneath his cage was caked with his poop and mixed with rat urine and feces. Rats could even enter Sydney's cage through the opening below the cage. It's a miracle that he never flew out through one of the chewed out screens or that the rats had never chewed off his toes.

Sydney's plight was made known to my son several years ago. At the time the owner was emphatic that Sydney remain where he was, believing that his living conditions were adequate. Then, a month ago, my son's friend reached out to us again, believing that Sydney was wasting away inside his hell hole and needed to have better life. They approached Sydney's owner, who angrily sent them away.

Fast forward to yesterday. During the night the owner's son had a rat scamper across his chest while he was sleeping. That was the straw that finally broke, leading the way for us to bring Sydney in.

Here is Sydney's past in pictures. I can't even imagine how he has suffered all the years, let alone that he's still alive today.
IMG_5686.jpg
IMG_5687.jpg
IMG_5699.jpg
IMG_5691.jpg
IMG_5694.jpg IMG_5696.jpg IMG_5697.jpg
20180706_132553.jpg
20180706_151001.jpg
Welcome, Sydney, to the first day of the rest of your life! <3 Here he's enjoying the first fresh food he's had in over 8 years. He already loves cooked broccoli and my home made birdie bread!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love happy endings! :heart::heart::heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That poor bird!! Thank you for helping him :heart:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My god, what a horrific way to live.

Here's to the next chapter of Sydney's life! I hope it's filled with wonderful things.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Horrible disgusting conditions, welcome home Sydney. It's amazing that he looks so good for being in such awful conditions. I take that you left his death cage there, correct?

Last edited:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Heartbreaking story :( Im glad you got him out of there and hope to hear more of his new wonderful life with you.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So thankful

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:cheer::cantwait::excited2::leslieatwork::loveshower:
Thank you for giving him a wondeful home!
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Oh my god I can't even imagine. I'm so glad he'll have a better life now.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My heart aches for Sydney's life. There are so many just like him out there, and many won't find a @Nikomania to save them. Thank you, thank you so much. Even if you are a step to his forever home, he will at least have that chance now.

We save them one at a time.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
How horrible. I wonder if the owner didn't want to part with Sydney because he was one of the last vestiges of the owner's late wife? Either way, thank you and the owners son for getting him out of unspeakable conditions. This was definitely not a rehome but a rescue.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
My heart aches for Sydney's life. There are so many just like him out there, and many won't find a @Nikomania to save them. Thank you, thank you so much. Even if you are a step to his forever home, he will at least have that chance now.

We save them one at a time.
This. So many times. :sorrow:

Thank you @Nikomania for taking Sydney into your home. :heart:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. My son and I did our share of weeping over these images. Did you take note of that tiny useless fan on top of the cage? That was his 'cooling' measure for him. All it was doing was blowing around that 109 degree weather we've been besieged by today. And to also think he remained inside this shack during the cold winter months as well.

My son's friend is so grateful that his mother's precious bird is now being taken care of. He says he feels her spirit near him today. He, too, was in tears.