• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures So this may be happening...

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The towel robe pic is precious! And I'm so happy for Bowser that he found such a great home and caregiver :loveshower:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
It's definitely past time for an update. :) Bowser gets stronger every day. He went from the vet warning me his injured foot may never fully function, to hanging by one toe...On the injured foot...And playing! We worked on that foot a lot...From me having him grab my finger over and over with it to changing up his perches and giving him a huge variety of choices to grab on to.
He is still a water bird...He LOVES his showers. And with his feathers still growing in and so many pin feathers I can see why.

He's doing great trying new foods too. From oranges to apples and home made bird bread (his favorite) he's getting a good variety in now. He is still getting one hand feeding a day, down from two, until he feels comfortable and doesn't need it anymore.

He has definitely decided he can lunge at my husband for sport lol though he has never done so to me. I think my husband is a little wary of him now which of course the cheeky little guy knows and takes advantage of. He has never bitten and honestly he's a sweetheart...But he enjoys watching the large man hop back lol. He has never done this while I'm watching either. I have only heard about it. Apparently he's on his best behavior if I'm there.

Bowser spends most of his day hanging out with me and is only in his cage for bedtime or if I'm leaving the house...If I'm cleaning or in the kitchen he's on his wingdow stand rolling around to be by me. And if we're in the bedroom he gets free range play and loves hopping around the floor. My bedroom has been transformed into a Bowser safety zone lol with giant atoms hanging from the ceiling to a rope net. (Though he's still too nervous to try those just yet)

He tests his wings out a lot now trying to get up and fly but they just haven't grown in enough yet. He will be flighted when they grow in and I have no intention of clipping. He's so eager to get up and fly I can't wait until he gets to.

Here's a pic of Bowser being goofy (finally!) Hanging upside down by a couple of toes from his swing in his cage. After I took the pic he spread both wings out wide and just had fun. :dance5: IMG_20170220_132749.jpg
And here he is when I was weaning him a bit off the two feedings a day. He initiated this, and started enjoying his formula out of a cup for a feeding. :) (He is a very messy eater lol) :heart: IMG_20170125_183951.jpg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Great update!

When pulling back on Korbels second feeding I would pour the formula over some smushy pellets. It was the taste and warmth of the formula that got him eating the soaked pellets. To this day he still has soaked pellets for breakfast, it's a favorite here.

If your planning on keeping him flighted now would be a great time to get him wearing an avatar harness. :) They are braver when they are young.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
A messy but a very happy and well taking care of boy! ♥

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Great update!

When pulling back on Korbels second feeding I would pour the formula over some smushy pellets. It was the taste and warmth of the formula that got him eating the soaked pellets. To this day he still has soaked pellets for breakfast, it's a favorite here.

If your planning on keeping him flighted now would be a great time to get him wearing an avatar harness. :) They are braver when they are young.
I've been working on that harness for a few weeks now. I can get it on him and then I just have to spend a good solid half an hour (literally) loving on him and then I can make the adjustments. I haven't been brave enough to take him out yet. I took him to the screen window and he was amazed and then terrified. So we spent some time there every day while he calmed down and now he asks to see out the window. I'm hoping soon I can take him to the patio. I definitely want him getting fresh air and sun soon . I want to beat our summer's here that get to 120' regularly.

Heather F

That is so wonderful! :heart:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful update :laughing12:

He's really turning into a happy confident mac :heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
He has definitely decided he can lunge at my husband for sport lol though he has never done so to me. I think my husband is a little wary of him now which of course the cheeky little guy knows and takes advantage of. He has never bitten and honestly he's a sweetheart...But he enjoys watching the large man hop back lol. He has never done this while I'm watching either. I have only heard about it. Apparently he's on his best behavior if I'm there.
One of my amazons does this with my hubby! Seriously! If MC doesn't know I'm watching, I've been able to see it happen... but if I'm watching? Totally different attitude. It's like a little child saying, I didn't do anything!

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
My husband found this guy for sale locally...well two hours away but still... and we are considering getting him next week. The thing is I have to decide by tomorrow or these people will be opening up the possibility of shipping him to whoever wants him. He's had it rough, his beak got caught in his cage and frantically trying to free himself he did a good amt of damage. He also had a toe swell up and that was removed. I feel like he's not in a good environment being in with a large amt of breeders and no one on one attention so my heart is pulling me in the direction of getting him. I have the money (just paid off all debt woohoo) and time but it's such a huge decision. I want to just go buy a huge cage and tons of toys and bring this little guy home but I'm trying to be rational...however I don't know that I can leave him there to be one of hundreds of pieces of "merchandise" Any words of wisdom are appreciated. View attachment 235871

That poor baby :sad14: looks like he was in a cage that was way to small. He is a beauty. He will be a lucky bird if you take him in & give him a good home.
Wait to hear you decision. Only you know if it is right for you.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
One of my amazons does this with my hubby! Seriously! If MC doesn't know I'm watching, I've been able to see it happen... but if I'm watching? Totally different attitude. It's like a little child saying, I didn't do anything!
That's too funny! I didn't believe him at first and it was driving my husband crazy lol.
It really is like having a child who doesn't want mom to catch them being bad.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Look at him swinging from that atom like he owns it... because he does! :joyful: He's come so far from that poor baby who barely knew what to do with, or even able to use a foot toy. :swoon: And all because you did what you knew in your heart to be right.

Do you know what ever became of that awful man in Tuscon? :rpg4::alien1: And if not, can we have his address so we can all meet up with torches & pitchforks? :devil:

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
So happy to see how well adjusted and spoiled the babe is now! Love the pics, on the swing having fun...Such a love... :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Oh my what a b precious baby.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I keep going back to page 7 -his first bite of warm mash. :xflove: Probably my favorite pic on this entire site. I need a "like again" button. :swoon: