• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures So this may be happening...

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
I lost track of this thread for a while but I just read it all the way through. Bowser is one lucky baby to have been whisked away from such an awful start and into the lap of luxury and love. And you are a lucky duck to have found such a darling sweet little baby mac to dote on. The picture with your toddler is just precious. :heart::heart::heart:

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Oh my goodness how adorable!! :) Bowser is ready for Santa tomorrow. :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What a great picture!

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
What a great way to end a Christmas Day. Such a wonderful Bowser update :sunflower: he just looks so content and happy. Thank god you found him and rescued him from that hell he was existing in. He looks as if he knows how lucky he is :swoon:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
IMG_20161225_162306.jpg
One more update today: We've been working on training, just fun goofy things to build confidence, and when I say "be the wind" he puts both wings up. So naturally today when I had family over I wanted him to show off...and this is what I got haha. He just kept putting one wing on my head. I had to keep telling everyone he really had the trick down yesterday lol. :faint::rofl:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Maybe he is trying to say that you are the wind beneath his wings.:fairy3:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What's new with Bowser???

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
What's new with Bowser???
So many things!! We had a huge break through with towels. The "breeder" used to just throw a towel over Bowser and then grab him around the head or neck and get him that way so he was understandably terrified by them.

But he loves his showers and even though my house is warm and in the desert he would still shiver after each shower for a bit. I slowly started working with him cuddling into me and bringing a towel near him and finally he allowed me to wrap him on his favorite wigdow stand!! He loves sitting there in the mornings.
It may not seem like a lot, but it was a huge measure of trust for Bowser to let me do that and stay calm and happy.

Here he is cuddled up and toasty watching cartoons with the kiddos. IMG_20170111_204930.jpg 8005.jpg

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Bowser is doing really well. He likes calm (unlike a properly raised macaw I'd imagine that enjoys loud fun) and that suits me fine. He is still very scared around loud things and sudden movements but he calms instantly with a soft voice and gentle touch.
His beak is getting stronger but he still prefers shredding toys to wood. His feet are doing way better than when he first got here. He now plays easily with foot toys and doesn't fall off his perches anymore, so he gets to enjoy being up higher more now.
He's the sweetest macaw.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Beautiful, just beautiful. You obviously have a great touch.

Wingdow

Sprinting down the street
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aleta
Wonderful to see that Bowser is doing so well. Through all your patience and hard work, you are helping him put his awful past behind and learn to be a bird. I'm going through the same process on a much smaller scale with a little parrotlet. We got her 6 months ago from a lady who didn't want her and kept her in a cage for 2 years---and she was frightened, frightened, frightened. It took 2 months to even get her out of the cage. Step by step, she's learning to trust us. Last week, she learned to use a Wingdow Seat and now spends a lot of her day playing on it. Yesterday, she tried broccoli for the first time. She's learning how to be a bird, too---and we rejoice with each milestone. Bless you for caring about this beautiful bird.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I found this thread again and I'm so proud of you for doing so much for Bowser! You're amazing and I hope there are so so so many years of great fun and experiences, and failed tricks in front of the family. I love Bowser and his story and how well he's doing! :cheer::loveshower::leslieatwork:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He has really bonded with you, you are his flock and he trusts you completly. Just like a child he can come to you for safety and comfort. :smileflower:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Great update!