• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures So this may be happening...

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My husband found this guy for sale locally...well two hours away but still... and we are considering getting him next week. The thing is I have to decide by tomorrow or these people will be opening up the possibility of shipping him to whoever wants him. He's had it rough, his beak got caught in his cage and frantically trying to free himself he did a good amt of damage. He also had a toe swell up and that was removed. I feel like he's not in a good environment being in with a large amt of breeders and no one on one attention so my heart is pulling me in the direction of getting him. I have the money (just paid off all debt woohoo) and time but it's such a huge decision. I want to just go buy a huge cage and tons of toys and bring this little guy home but I'm trying to be rational...however I don't know that I can leave him there to be one of hundreds of pieces of "merchandise" Any words of wisdom are appreciated. IMG_20161103_171523034.jpg

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Oh and he was born June 7th, weaned as of last week they tell me.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
How could such a beautiful fid be in a condition such as that! If I had the chance, I would rush at it! Alas, this is also a 40 year commitment on your part! Truth be known, the fid would have a wonderful home and a loving environment! If that helps at all! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well the baby certainly deserves a good home and if you have taken all of the possibilities into consideration there is no reason you shouldn't go get him. Those that are imperfect are many times the most perfect. Just remember he is a baby and you need to be ready to hand feed him for comfort if nothing else. Also remember that babies grow up just like children and my not have the character and personality that you dreamed of.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thank you @Lodah. :)
I also don't understand how a beautiful baby can be in such condition. I just want to immediately wrap him up and bring him home. I am busy this coming week or I would get him now...I actually lost my father and I have to go out of town to handle the estate business so it's been an emotional, difficult time. But this "breeder" said I could pick this fid up Next Saturday so long as I pay for him now, which I can do.
The first thing I would need to do is get this guy to a vet. Not entirely sure if they took him to one to remove his toe or did it themselves.
His face is so sweet and kind and I seriously may go to my local bird rescue where I got Fred and buy a ton of toys (even tho I have huge orders in to some of the vendors here, I dont know they'll be here in time) and just wait to get this baby.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful. I hope you get him. :) (And so sorry about your dad. )

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
@Hankmacaw thank you for the response. I have hand fed before in a CVT capacity so I will definitely be prepared if need be. I would be really anxious to take to this guy to the vet because I just don't know what kind of care hes had...tho I can make a pretty good guess. I'm fortunate that although I've experienced some personal tragedy recently my family is in a good place. We are debt free and I get to stay home with the kids and fids now.

@sunnysmom thank you. :) He is a beautiful little guy who deserves love.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I'm so sorry about the loss of your father. :sadhug2:

I'd be making arrangements to get this guys home set up and then waiting to pick him up next weekend. Good luck.

The beak will grow out and lots of birds don't have a toe or two.
He is such a cutie.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thank you @Chopper. I'm going to go buy some things (ok maybe the whole store lol) in preparation today. Then I'm in a different city for a few days but I'm ordering a nice cage to be here when I get back. I already have all the stands that my severe Fred won't use yet (tho he's making progress every day) and lots of fun stuff on order from our vendors. I've never brought a baby home before, it's always been older rescues so this is exciting and also making me nervous lol.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
@MiniMacaw I hope you enjoy your baby. I think those who rescue older birds are entitled to a baby bird at least once. (I say that because I want a baby bird so badly but I just go to CL and find the older ones.) And he is already smiling at you. Do you have a name picked out?

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
@MiniMacaw I hope you enjoy your baby. I think those who rescue older birds are entitled to a baby bird at least once. (I say that because I want a baby bird so badly but I just go to CL and find the older ones.) And he is already smiling at you. Do you have a name picked out?
Thank you. :) I dont have a name yet at all. I appreciate any suggestions...

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
How about something that honors your dad.
Yea, I was leaning towards that. He loved my severe macaw and always loved the larger parrot species, but his health just wasn't good enough to let him have one. He would visit with Fred and talk up a storm with him lol. I'm trying to think what names he would have liked. He was big into western culture (we live in the Arizona desert so pretty much a given lol) and loved any old time western sounding names. Ive got to get a list put together lol.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
With a perfect upraising he'd be normally weaning now, or close to being done.
With a traumatic upbringing, I agree with Hankmacaw that you'll most likely want to do some supportive feeding to get him back up to speed, and support his emotional state.
If he doesn't take/want them that's good and fine, but I'd definitely offer them.

Poor little one, so much trauma already. :( Praying you can bring him comfort, safety and love.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
@macawpower58 I hate that hes had so much trauma already. The second I saw him I wanted to shower him with love and toys and just let him have the happiness of being a part of a family. I'm messaging the breeder right now to finalize everything. Ill let everyone know when it's a sure thing.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yea, I was leaning towards that. He loved my severe macaw and always loved the larger parrot species, but his health just wasn't good enough to let him have one. He would visit with Fred and talk up a storm with him lol. I'm trying to think what names he would have liked. He was big into western culture (we live in the Arizona desert so pretty much a given lol) and loved any old time western sounding names. Ive got to get a list put together lol.
Well that's perfect. Fred was the parrot owned by one of the dancing(!) gals in Larry McMurtry's novel "Buffalo Gals". That novel was the prequel to his Pulitzer Prize winning novel "Lonesome Dove". So you have a plethora of appropriate Western Hero or Heroine names for your new baby.

Buffalo Girls Cast; Buffalo Girls (TV Movie 1995) - IMDb

Lonesome Dove Cast; Lonesome Dove Characters

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I
Well that's perfect. Fred was the parrot owned by one of the dancing(!) gals in Larry McMurtry's novel "Buffalo Gals". That novel was the prequel to his Pulitzer Prize winning novel "Lonesome Dove". So you have a plethora of appropriate Western Hero or Heroine names for your new baby.

Buffalo Girls Cast; Buffalo Girls (TV Movie 1995) - IMDb

Lonesome Dove Cast; Lonesome Dove Characters
I love this!! So many good names to choose from.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
And you can match a character to his/her personality.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I just got done talking to the breeder. It's a done deal. :heart2: He is paid for and mine. The breeder is willing to hold him until next Saturday and by then I'll have his entire set up ready and waiting.
Ill take pictures galore when I go get him so get ready lol. :miligold: