• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures So this may be happening...

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Look at him swinging from that atom like he owns it... because he does! :joyful: He's come so far from that poor baby who barely knew what to do with, or even able to use a foot toy. :swoon: And all because you did what you knew in your heart to be right.

Do you know what ever became of that awful man in Tuscon? :rpg4::alien1: And if not, can we have his address so we can all meet up with torches & pitchforks? :devil:
Yes, but it's not very encouraging. He was checked out, cited for a few cages with no water and given a follow.up.date where they'll check again to make sure he's in compliance. Unfortunately Arizona law on keeping.birds just requires they have shelter, food and water available. There is no outline for what that shelter should be. He's still selling birds (of so many species) as far as I know.
We did personally have a conversation with him months ago after Bowser first saw the vet and my husband very firmly explained that Bowser was starving and had eaten his own feathers and that he was in horrible shape with an infection on top of it. The guy acted shocked, said he trusted his hand feeder Implicitly and this was way out of the norm. But of course after we saw him handling Bowser by picking him up by his head I knew any logic he may have once had was long gone. We emailed him copies of the vets report and everything but he stood firm on the fact he raises the "best birds in Arizona with over 40 years experience."
I try to focus on the fact that I have Bowser and that guy will never be near him again on days when it gets to me.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I keep going back to page 7 -his first bite of warm mash. :xflove: Probably my favorite pic on this entire site. I need a "like again" button. :swoon:
He was so excited to have that mash! :) And this was before I found out he had an infection and would need hand feedings so he really loved it lol. Now he gets that look for warm bird bread. Every time. :cloud9:

Heather F

It really is the most darling picture. How is his beak looking now? Recent pictures didn't show his face.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yeah, his beak was busy in that last one. :popcorn2:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Just read through this thread. Thank you for rescuing him, he has such a better life now and is very lucky to have you. I really can't stand some people. I wish there were tougher penalties for animal abuse and neglect.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
It really is the most darling picture. How is his beak looking now? Recent pictures didn't show his face.
Here he is. I asked him to pose lol he's a ham now.
IMG_20170323_201036215.jpg
His beak is doing well. At one point a chunk of just 'dead' beak chipped off, which the vet told us may happen but it did look so deep and tender. It didn't slow Bowser down though. :) he's still got that groove in the center, but it's healing and stronger than before now. He gets frustrated with walnuts in the shell still, but he's mastered all other nuts. (This was a big deal because he couldn't even crack an almond at first)

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
IMG_20170307_152929.jpg
Bowser update:
My handsome guy is doing wonderful. Hes got so much personality, it's simply subdued in a manner that's all Bowser. For example, he still gets frightened at any fast movement or loud noises...To the point he'll jump off his stand to me if he hears a crash. (Which happens sometimes...I have kids and they break things lol). He loves to hear soft singing at night. It gets him so calm he's fully relaxed. He also loves his swing. He hangs all the time and plays with his toes. He's still doing daily showers and his feathers still need it. He finally started growing in healthy tail feathers but his wings are a work in progress. I work with him daily on getting him harness trained. It's more building up his confidence right now than getting the harness on.
He still gets his daily bird bread/mash/nuts/fresh veggies mix daily lol and he gets very upset if he doesn't get to be in the kitchen and watch me mix some up.
I'm worried sometimes that he'll never be as confident as he should be had he not been abused, but I remind myself he's still a baby and has many years to figure things out. It's his adventure and he's definitely enjoying it. :hug2:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Bowser is looking handsome. Glad to hear he is coming along well.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
View attachment 246491
Bowser update:
My handsome guy is doing wonderful. Hes got so much personality, it's simply subdued in a manner that's all Bowser. For example, he still gets frightened at any fast movement or loud noises...To the point he'll jump off his stand to me if he hears a crash. (Which happens sometimes...I have kids and they break things lol). He loves to hear soft singing at night. It gets him so calm he's fully relaxed. He also loves his swing. He hangs all the time and plays with his toes. He's still doing daily showers and his feathers still need it. He finally started growing in healthy tail feathers but his wings are a work in progress. I work with him daily on getting him harness trained. It's more building up his confidence right now than getting the harness on.
He still gets his daily bird bread/mash/nuts/fresh veggies mix daily lol and he gets very upset if he doesn't get to be in the kitchen and watch me mix some up.
I'm worried sometimes that he'll never be as confident as he should be had he not been abused, but I remind myself he's still a baby and has many years to figure things out. It's his adventure and he's definitely enjoying it. :hug2:

They can be amazingly resilient, and as you point out, he's a baby, so I think you'll continue to see improvement over time. I'm so glad you saved him!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update! ♥
I'm worried sometimes that he'll never be as confident as he should be had he not been abused
He will be, but it will take more time. I only had Eliy for 5 month and I see big improvements. :)

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
He is so happy. Again, thank you for getting him out of that place and on to a happier journey. I hope you guys have a lot of years together.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
you and Bowser make my day. I am smiling.
I just love the posts and pics!
:fairy::fairy2:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So glad to see he is coming along so well :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Bowser is doing well. Several of us on AA have adopted parrots that were abused - some not too bad and some horribly. When I got Hank at 18 years old he was a wild caught that had been terribly abused for 10 years - hit, kicked beaten with sticks. The woman who was the parrot manager for the last two years he was at the Tropicana Hotel did a lot to regain his trust. It took us six years to become best buddies and even then if he got scared, surprised or upset he reverted to being vicious and I would just have to let him calm down on his own. Hank was my great love and I miss him every day.

Bowser is young and he will most likely completely recover from his early life. Remember too that he will have his very own personality.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Physical therapy/silly time for Bowser. This is the first day in months he has actually been goofy. (I wasn't crying, it was allergies) lol IMG_20170325_134821.jpg You can also see his horrendous wing clipping still growing out. But his feathers are much healthier than before.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Bowser is doing well. Several of us on AA have adopted parrots that were abused - some not too bad and some horribly. When I got Hank at 18 years old he was a wild caught that had been terribly abused for 10 years - hit, kicked beaten with sticks. The woman who was the parrot manager for the last two years he was at the Tropicana Hotel did a lot to regain his trust. It took us six years to become best buddies and even then if he got scared, surprised or upset he reverted to being vicious and I would just have to let him calm down on his own. Hank was my great love and I miss him every day.

Bowser is young and he will most likely completely recover from his early life. Remember too that he will have his very own personality.
I just reread this again this morning after Bowser had a particularly somber day yesterday and then today he was coming out of his shell! Thank you for the encouragement. It's so great knowing others understand. :heart:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:coffeescreen: That is hysterical! I think I'd fall over laughing if I ever saw Buzzard doing that! :laughin:You definitely have a special little guy there and so many years of fun ahead of you both!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Physical therapy/silly time for Bowser. This is the first day in months he has actually been goofy. (I wasn't crying, it was allergies) lol View attachment 246791 You can also see his horrendous wing clipping still growing out. But his feathers are much healthier than before.
Batbird!