• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Thanks so much for keeping everybody apprised of the situation in such detail. I think it'll be really helpful for members in the future. So sorry your fid is having to lose his leg after all. He must've been a determined little bird when you saw him moving it earlier.:bluhug:
It's nothing. I'm really upset that he's losing his leg, but I really do hope this at least helps someone as well. Geralt's definitely determined, though. :p He keeps trying to fly and run about, I don't think this will stop him. He's even tried to dive away from me when I get him for his meds and has essentially mastered rolling back onto his feet and throwing his jingly bells into his seed/pellet mix.

Yes, sorry. :) That's what I'd want if one of my birds was in his situation. But of course you'll want to discuss pros/cons with your vet since she knows the specifics of his case best.
It's okay, I'm just not used to the English abbreviation, it's called an NFS here. If the vet says it's safe to do, we'll go for it. Hopefully, she can squeeze us in tomorrow instead of thursday. I'll keep you guys posted.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
GDI, the exotics vet isn't there this week. She's only seeing patients on Thursday in another clinic.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
We have an appointment for Tuesday. I am going to go pick up more baytril later on today.

Geralt's a happy boy, though! I just got his new home today. He's taken to hiding under the cardboard structure with his favorite jingly bell.

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It's so nice to see him happy. And I'm inpressed how quickly he took to his new cage!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's so nice to see him happy. And I'm inpressed how quickly he took to his new cage!
He's a really awesome little guy and is really just nonplused about everything. I think he's just happy to be in this cage. His old cage was more vertical than horizontal, and I think he was going a little stir-crazy in there. I wish I had captured video of him first being introduced to his new cage, he practically wagged is whole body and just went off to explore the cardboard and move his sockbuddy to where he likes it.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I wish I had captured video of him first being introduced to his new cage, he practically wagged is whole body and just went off to explore the cardboard and move his sockbuddy to where he likes it.
:swoon::hug8:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
He's a really awesome little guy and is really just nonplused about everything. I think he's just happy to be in this cage. His old cage was more vertical than horizontal, and I think he was going a little stir-crazy in there. I wish I had captured video of him first being introduced to his new cage, he practically wagged is whole body and just went off to explore the cardboard and move his sockbuddy to where he likes it.
I can picture it! Sherbie wags her tail when she's excited, too!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Awe, Sherbiiiiiieeeee. Lil tailwags are the best, she sounds like an absolute doll.
A possessed doll with a wicked bite, maybe? :rofl:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
It's really badly shriveled up. If you look at the photo, it's that funny looking thing towards the top. I have him on his side facing towards the right.

Really wish I'd given him a better look the other day, but this sort of stuff is absolutely terrifying.

He is the cutest boy, though. ;; He does this little tail wiggle when he's happy and practically waggles his whole body with it.
That was nice of your mother to bath and cuddle him. I too, am leery of birds.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Well, my mom had an absolute fit when she saw Geralt's cage and got mad at me for buying him more meds with my own money, but he's worth it. Apparently, she thinks the cage is in the way despite being on my bureau in my room.
And that it's somehow ruining my bureau, despite being there for all of one night.
It's on a tablecloth.
He loves it, though, so tough pompoms. I checked up on him last night to make sure he was settling in, and found him snuggled into the cardboard thing Geralt absolutely adores his cardboard hut. I think I might leave it there until I can make and replace it with one made of leather and wood.

A possessed doll with a wicked bite, maybe? :rofl:
Hey, think of it this way; she might be the next big horror movie monster if she plays her cards right
That was nice of your mother to bath and cuddle him. I too, am leery of birds.
Aren't we all?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
[

Aren't we all?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I would imagine some people just take to them, as with any animal.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Have a video of him. I'm not sure if the way he crab-walks into his 'hut' is creepy or precious, but I love watching him do it.

It's precious of course! :kiss2: I love how he's adapting so well to the cone and his foot that he doesn't even seem to know that he's different. He is such a special little guy!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is it his entire leg that will wither and fall off or below the knee where the band was? I had a friend with a crimson belly conure that had a broken leg, untreated by a breeder, that he adopted. The leg was too far gone at the break and there was nerve damage. And the foot was turned around sort of. Vet took the foot off and the bird developed a stump at that point. With a little home PT to strengthen the leg muscles he learned to fly and land safely. It was amazing to see this little guy who had no foot from ankle down do what he could do.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no fear of my dinosaurs :p

Always good to see him doing so well! I hope you're adapting as well as he is!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's precious of course! :kiss2: I love how he's adapting so well to the cone and his foot that he doesn't even seem to know that he's different. He is such a special little guy!
I'm just glad he's actually adapted. He was miserable before, but he's having a lot of fun with his hut. He's even tried to climb ontop of it, but it's just a little too tall.

Is it his entire leg that will wither and fall off or below the knee where the band was? I had a friend with a crimson belly conure that had a broken leg, untreated by a breeder, that he adopted. The leg was too far gone at the break and there was nerve damage. And the foot was turned around sort of. Vet took the foot off and the bird developed a stump at that point. With a little home PT to strengthen the leg muscles he learned to fly and land safely. It was amazing to see this little guy who had no foot from ankle down do what he could do.
Below the knee where the band was. It looks like he'll have some of his lower leg, it's already healed over, by the looks of it.
Do you know what kind of exercises your friend used for that poor conure?

It's disgusting what people will do with 'breeder' animals. I just don't get it. Even if you ignore the animal's suffering to look at it from a purely financial standpoint, getting your birds seen by a vet would net you more profit in the long run. Either because people will pay more for the animal when you sell it, or because it would be more inclined to breed and more capable to breed and take care of their young.