• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He was definitely using it again today. And I don't mean just twitching it. I had set him down in the tub while I was cleaning his cage, and I scooped him up into my palm so he was standing on my hand. I felt him kicking and stepping with both feet in tandem, and when I went to try and clean off a bit of fluff from his beak, he scuttled away, and I saw him using the bad leg.
How exciting! :cheer: Yay Gerault, you can do it!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, I hope he continues to use it!:bliss:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe the leg is not as dead as the vet thought it was?? How does the leg look?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Maybe the leg is not as dead as the vet thought it was?? How does the leg look?
Maybe? It's still dark and strange looking. I'm worried that this might have just been him simply getting his second wind and a bit of mobility in his upper leg. I noticed a bit of white on his toes. I think it may have been bone.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Maybe? It's still dark and strange looking. I'm worried that this might have just been him simply getting his second wind and a bit of mobility in his upper leg. I noticed a bit of white on his toes. I think it may have been bone.
:confused: Picture?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Yeah, definitely going to have to take the picture in the morning. :T Dad turned off the basement light while watching my birds despite knowing they need the light on until bedtime, so everyone's testy and scared and very grouchy. I don't want to stress him out too much by picking him up when he's already so freaked out.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It looks like his foot is definitely going, though I'm not sure if the white stuff I saw is related. He really doesn't like me looking at the underside of his cone, and I think it might have been dried on poop I hadn't seen in the morning. Either way, I have him a quick warm bath, and it has mostly come off. Come the morning, I'll be giving him a shower with me. Hopefully the steam combined with some warm water will help clear the rest of it off.
I'm going to call the vet tomorrow anyways, just in case. His foot looks a little weird. I got a photo of his foot here. It really isn't pretty and will probably be distressing to look at, but yeah, there's no coming back from this. I have no idea how he was even USING it the other day.

For those who want nicer pictures of the boo;

He was immediately given a bath after this and the foot photo. My mom called me into the kitchen while I was cradling him to warm him and try to calm him down after his bath, despite really not... liking birds. At all.

@Peachfaced I'm really not sure anyone would want to see the photo of his leg, but it's up. :dead: Look at your own peril.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Oh, poor thing! I don't know much about bird anatomy but maybe it was a muscle in his thigh or hip that was still able to move the limp leg (?). Sending hugs
:sadhug2:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
It looks like his foot is definitely going, though I'm not sure if the white stuff I saw is related. He really doesn't like me looking at the underside of his cone, and I think it might have been dried on poop I hadn't seen in the morning. Either way, I have him a quick warm bath, and it has mostly come off. Come the morning, I'll be giving him a shower with me. Hopefully the steam combined with some warm water will help clear the rest of it off.
I'm going to call the vet tomorrow anyways, just in case. His foot looks a little weird. I got a photo of his foot here. It really isn't pretty and will probably be distressing to look at, but yeah, there's no coming back from this. I have no idea how he was even USING it the other day.

For those who want nicer pictures of the boo;

He was immediately given a bath after this and the foot photo. My mom called me into the kitchen while I was cradling him to warm him and try to calm him down after his bath, despite really not... liking birds. At all.

@Peachfaced I'm really not sure anyone would want to see the photo of his leg, but it's up. :dead: Look at your own peril.

I am honestly not seeing his leg. But he sure is cute.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I am honestly not seeing his leg. But he sure is cute.
It's really badly shriveled up. If you look at the photo, it's that funny looking thing towards the top. I have him on his side facing towards the right.

Really wish I'd given him a better look the other day, but this sort of stuff is absolutely terrifying.

He is the cutest boy, though. ;; He does this little tail wiggle when he's happy and practically waggles his whole body with it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That does look bad. It's a somewhat difficult to see the foot clearly but it does look shriveled up and there may be some exposed bone. When does he go back to the vet? It's good, though, that he is getting around.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That does look bad. It's a somewhat difficult to see the foot clearly but it does look shriveled up and there may be some exposed bone. When does he go back to the vet? It's good, though, that he is getting around.
I'm calling her tomorrow, since I really don't like the looks of this. He's going back on Thursday. With luck, she'll be able to remove it. From what the vet said, it'd only take a quick clip once it's had time to die vs the long, convoluted surgery it would have been to remove earlier.

If she can fit him in on Tuesday to have a look see, though, I'm going to go in. Maybe with the state its in, she'll be able to just remove it sooner rather than later.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, that's definitely necrotic. Sooner than later will be good.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Yeah, that's definitely necrotic. Sooner than later will be good.
Thought as much when I got a better look at it. Hopefully, they'll be able to squeeze us in tomorrow. He's still on baytril to try and combat any sort of infections this might cause, but this is just bad.

He is such a good bird through all this! And you are wonderful with him.
Thank you! ;-; He's the one who's wonderful right now, though. I can't imagine how frustrated and upset he must be right now.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can your vet do a CBC to see if there's signs of systemic infection? Baytril is good, but it may or may not be adequate coverage for something this major.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Can your vet do a CBC to see if there's signs of systemic infection? Baytril is good, but it may or may not be adequate coverage for something this major.
You mean a complete blood count? I'm more than happy to do tests, and I'll bring it up to her tomorrow when I take him in to see if the leg can be removed already.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, sorry. :) That's what I'd want if one of my birds was in his situation. But of course you'll want to discuss pros/cons with your vet since she knows the specifics of his case best.

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
Thanks so much for keeping everybody apprised of the situation in such detail. I think it'll be really helpful for members in the future. So sorry your fid is having to lose his leg after all. He must've been a determined little bird when you saw him moving it earlier.:bluhug: