• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Remove leg or let it fall off naturally? -Geralt

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
So glad to hear he's pulling through! Give him some fatty sunflower seeds for me. :)

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Thank you! It looks like I've got a little shopping to do. xP Not sure where I can find most of this stuff, but here's hoping I can find everything.

So glad to hear he's pulling through! Give him some fatty sunflower seeds for me. :)
v: I will! Poor babboo really needs to get his weight up so he can get back to his usual self.

He's already calling to his friends and had a good time flying around the examination room before we left. I sincerely think (and hope) that he'll pull through. She prepared me for the worst-case scenario, but with how strong he's been, I think he'll pull through.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't understand how leaving necrotic tissue in the body is somehow less risky than removing it. I'm glad he seems to be doing well, I just question some of what your vet is saying. Did she explain how removing the leg would risk infection?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Thank you! It looks like I've got a little shopping to do. xP Not sure where I can find most of this stuff, but here's hoping I can find everything.

v: I will! Poor babboo really needs to get his weight up so he can get back to his usual self.

He's already calling to his friends and had a good time flying around the examination room before we left. I sincerely think (and hope) that he'll pull through. She prepared me for the worst-case scenario, but with how strong he's been, I think he'll pull through.
I don't use RPO, I just use the chia, hemp, and coconut oil. All can be found in most grocery stores.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The cone's off, and so far, we're good. He hasn't started chewing on his own leg again and went right to his food and water once we got home.

That's more or less what the vet said. She said it was putting pressure on his throat and was probably pretty uncomfortable and a little painful for him to eat. I'm hoping he puts on some weight soon. He didn't look emaciated, but that's a huge drop.

Parrot butter? If you have a recipe, I'm more than willing to try it.
Well if you can keep the cone off and watch him that's your best bet. Can you wrap the leg with vet wrap?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I don't understand how leaving necrotic tissue in the body is somehow less risky than removing it. I'm glad he seems to be doing well, I just question some of what your vet is saying. Did she explain how removing the leg would risk infection?
She mentioned something about opening him up to infection, as she'd have to cut it close to the stump. There was also a chance of bleeding, as he has some mobility in his leg (but not his foot).

I don't use RPO, I just use the chia, hemp, and coconut oil. All can be found in most grocery stores.
Ah, I hope I can find it all. These aren't products I usually buy.

Well if you can keep the cone off and watch him that's your best bet. Can you wrap the leg with vet wrap?
Not with his toes curled in the way they are, AFAIK.

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's climbing?? :doublelol: There's no stopping him!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad the exam went OK and hope he will put weight back on now that the cone is off.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
He's climbing?? :doublelol: There's no stopping him!
Yep. Little guy keeps flying across the cage and climbing back. :p I think he was a happy.

Glad the exam went OK and hope he will put weight back on now that the cone is off.
Same. He's eating like a horse.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
Glad he is recovering, maybe you can make him a special bird seed cake for being such a brave boy? He is lucky he has you with him.:)

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
He's really starting to get back to his old self again. Geralt is chirping and perching where he can see everyone. While he's not all that interested in being held now that he has a choice, he's comfortable enough with me around to not immediately go flying away when I reach in with my hands. I got him a little hut with a sturdy plastic base to help him sleep in it and a ladder to make it easier for him to get inside, but he still prefers sleeping under his cardboard

I hope to finish his platforms and ramp by the end of the week. My brother was supposed to help me with it, but he ditched me and it's been a bit of a hassle to find the tools I need now that he's gone.

Glad he is recovering, maybe you can make him a special bird seed cake for being such a brave boy? He is lucky he has you with him.:)
I'm planing to making that birdie butter sometime soon, once I find someone to come with me and help me look for the seeds.

Attachments

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It's King Kong! ... but cute and tiny. :shy:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
He is so scrappy! :heart: Doesn't look like he is going to let anything hold him back!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
This report is so awesome.