• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Potentially Not Urgent? Budgie being sold with growth by beak?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Well mites can be treated easier than a tumor & have to treat them both but wonder why the mites picked one bird???

Looks younger than a year to me??? Not sure if some yellow budgies donlt get grey in the eyes
Maybe his immune system is just stronger?
I've also noticed the yellow one does this odd thing with her crop/mouth.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Christ, is it creepy to look at. I don't envy Turk.

A lil more info on these two; she gave them sandpaper as a calcium supplement and they were both locked in the laundry room for being too loud. The yellow one also has overgrown nails because why take care of our pets?
OMG really REALLY, did you get them?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Also, the yellow one is missing a toe. I was told she was born without it, but I haven't gotten a good look at her feet yet.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Wow, is that the cage they were in? The treatment the vet will do is a shot, I believe

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Wow, is that the cage they were in? The treatment the vet will do is a shot, I believe
Yes it is.

I called and asked about getting some sort of medicine in the meantime, but I can't have it without first seeing the vet. We're going in at 10 am in Friday.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats sandpaper! Could be calcium but get them cuttle bone.

Well bless you & the lucky fids!

If they are just mites then its good...I guess I'd want to put them in a box & get the cage & put it in the tub with something to kill them in the nooks & cranies.

Would have to maybe be done again after treatment but would be alot less as they could be all over the cage...just an idea

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

Garet

Real Name
Garet
UGH, make sure vet checks for heavy metals
Will do.
I just don't get this.... they have a cuttlebone but "don't use it"... so sandpaper is the next logical step?
I mean... the cuttlebone doesn't look untouched...
And there are pipecleaners everywhere. No idea if it's safe or not.
And she set up one food dish directly under the other. You can guess where someone's been pooping...

Thats sandpaper! Could be calcium but get them cuttle bone.

Well bless you & the lucky fids!

If they are just mites then its good...I guess I'd want to put them in a box & get the cage & put it in the tub with something to kill them in the nooks & cranies.

Would have to maybe be done again after treatment but would be alot less as they could be all over the cage...just an idea
I'm planning on washing the heck out of that cage. There is so much to wash and throw out.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'm not sure if they even like eachother atm. All I hear is two angry budgies making angry noises...

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Does anyone know if dawn dish soap+a night in the freezer would kill the danged mites? I got one of those deep freezers I can throw their stuff in and an extra cage.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Be very careful, @Garet, you have other birds! I'm no vet nor do I want to be one so only can tell you my experience. Mites are not limited by species!
One of my rehomes got mites after a health check and I had to treat my whole flock (myself included) for months! Quarantine wasn't enough! In addition to hitching a ride on you, they can crawl under and around doors and across floors. Daily vacuuming doesn't necessarily stop them.
You can't guarantee that a door won't be opened by an adult family member even with a sign on it and instructions not to. Mites don't care about good intentions.
This is in no way meant as a criticism. It's meant as a warning to prepare for the worst!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Does anyone know if dawn dish soap+a night in the freezer would kill the danged mites? I got one of those deep freezers I can throw their stuff in and an extra cage.
No

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Be very careful, @Garet, you have other birds! I'm no vet nor do I want to be one so only can tell you my experience. Mites are not limited by species!
One of my rehomes got mites after a health check and I had to treat my whole flock (myself included) for months! Quarantine wasn't enough! In addition to hitching a ride on you, they can crawl under and around doors and across floors. Daily vacuuming doesn't necessarily stop them.
You can't guarantee that a door won't be opened by an adult family member even with a sign on it and instructions not to. Mites don't care about good intentions.
This is in no way meant as a criticism. It's meant as a warning to prepare for the worst!
I appreciate the warning, and I personally prefer a bit of tough love over not knowing something that could help my flock. If the vets can give me some sort of preventative treatment for the rest of the flock, I'll pick it up while I'm there.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Time for the big guns, then. And a longer stray in the deep freeze.

Or I could chuck the whole thing out and set them up in the spare cage come Friday until they're done being treated and get them a larger cage. I would like to at least keep the PVC stand and replace the rope with something a little less dangerous, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk, if these buggers are this bad.