• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Potentially Not Urgent? Budgie being sold with growth by beak?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I'm thinking of picking her and her friend up and bringing them to the vet. I was just wondering what you guys think this could be? Their owner said they have no name and the yellow one has had the growth by hr beak for over a year and has been housed with the blue one for 3 years without spreading it to him. I'm waiting on getting better pics.

If I do get them, they're going to be housed in my brother's room until I figure out what this is.

I'm thinking it might be a tumor, personally, but I'm not sure. I am worried about mites/fungus, but I'm not so sure a bird could live for a year with it.

ad_1529951565094.jpg
ad_1529951573007.jpg
Any thoughts?

I'm getting real p.o.'d that people keep doing this to birds. There's a $@/#&&*£^ vet that treats birds and isn't too expensive right up the "$^&**(£€&& road. I'm going to see about finding these two a good home once they're healthy if I get 'em. Turns out that someone I know has a contact with a rescue agency in the area.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I can't see it in pic but tumors on face near eyes are not good.

Just be careful of your flock as you would not want to treat them all & frankly you have a big heart but can you afford another few $100 to treat these budgies?

If its not cancer but benign & does not grow or can be removed then the bird should be ok.

Lumps And Tumors In Birds - Petcha

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
$_59 (1).jpg
$_59 (1).jpg $_59 (2).jpg
@camelotshadow I'm worried that might be what this is. The rest of my flock isn't allowed in my brother's room. He's gone until September, so it should work for quarantine.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
If you do buy them even with quarantine, you will have to make sure that you practice well through hand washing. Mites are horrible to get rid of. In my siggie there is a budgie called the turk. The Turk flew into my apt one day, he had mites both scaley and feather, it spreads like wildfire. Both my tiels ended up with them. He was in quarantine for 90 days.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
If you do buy them even with quarantine, you will have to make sure that you practice well through hand washing. Mites are horrible to get rid of. In my siggie there is a budgie called the turk. The Turk flew into my apt one day, he had mites both scaley and feather, it spreads like wildfire. Both my tiels ended up with them. He was in quarantine for 90 days.
Should I change my clothes as well? I'm more than happy to keep a set of quarantine-only duds just in case.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wonder is they can hop on you or crawl across the floor into another room???

They could fall to the floor & be carried by your feet.

Have to have booties for shoes & a smock in that room & leave it in that room...of course wash hands or wear surgical gloves

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Wonder is they can hop on you or crawl across the floor into another room???

They could fall to the floor & be carried by your feet.

Have to have booties for shoes & a smock in that room & leave it in that room...of course wash hands or wear surgical gloves
Oh gosh, could they?! :jawdrop1:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Seems its certainly possible they could travel. Most time these things like to stay on the host but we don't even know what it is yet.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Seems its certainly possible they could travel. Most time these things like to stay on the host but we don't even know what it is yet.
I just hope it's not something too horrible. Ugh, I wish I could get these guys today so I can book an appointment for tomorrow morning. They'll have to wait for Thursday.

I read that olive oil might help to suffocate the mites. I'm not going to use it in lieu of treatment, but I'm wondering if applying some to the "growth" on Wednesday would be a good idea, just to do something for her until the AV can see her.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
To me this looks like a case of burrowing mites, one of my budgies had it when i got them and it did spread to the other one, the best way to cure it is to put on a daily basis petrolium jelly on the scaly area that is what my vet told me to do and it fully cured my bird in just a few weeks, the petrollium jelly will suffocate de mites !

ooof and it will make the beak grow to astoniching lengths if not treated so at some point it might need to be trimmed down ::

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Should I change my clothes as well? I'm more than happy to keep a set of quarantine-only duds just in case.
Yes clothing, shoes down to the skin. I learned that lesson the hard way. Keep some type hand sanitizer just inside the door. AND WRITTEN REMINDER NOT TO WALK OUT WITHOUT USING IT AND CHANGE OF CLOTHES.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
To me this looks like a case of burrowing mites, one of my budgies had it when i got them and it did spread to the other one, the best way to cure it is to put on a daily basis petrolium jelly on the scaly area that is what my vet told me to do and it fully cured my bird in just a few weeks, the petrollium jelly will suffocate de mites !

ooof and it will make the beak grow to astoniching lengths if not treated so at some point it might need to be trimmed down ::
I'm hoping to get antibiotics, but I think I might also have some petrolium jelly to use until thursday. Thankfully, the little yellow bird doesn't seem to have a long beak, but they have a lot of fabric stuff in their cage that will have to go (rope perches, one of those cage skirts, and leather toys). Unless I can just throw the perch and toys in the wash or something? I know that cage is in desperate need of a serious washing if they're infested.

Yes clothing, shoes down to the skin. I learned that lesson the hard way. Keep some type hand sanitizer just inside the door. AND WRITTEN REMINDER NOT TO WALK OUT WITHOUT USING IT AND CHANGE OF CLOTHES.
It's a good thing ma got a lot of soaps and hand sanitizers from the kids she works with at the school. :p We got that stuff coming out of our ears.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i did wash on high heat all my rope perches and fabric accessories :) it did the work ! if the beak and nails have not overgrown its a great thing ! and if you have time to stop by the vet don't hesitate

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Scaly Face or Scaly Leg Mites: Common Treatments | Beauty of Birds

Looks like either or could work to at least start treating these sons of bugs until I get them both to a vet.

i did wash on high heat all my rope perches and fabric accessories :) it did the work ! if the beak and nails have not overgrown its a great thing !
Good, then I can at least throw their toys and perch in for a wash. I think my plan of attack is going to be;
  1. Olive oil for both birds on their faces, legs, vents and wingtips until thursday.
  2. Get up early on thursday and clean the heck out of the cage.
  3. Fabric toys and perches in the washing machine.
  4. Take them both to the vet.
  5. Set up their cage.
  6. Wash the heck out of my pet carrier (or throw it out altogether, since I have multiple carriers).

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Be careful using oil on any bird, JMHO, wait and see the vet first most likely they will tell you what to use, what works best. I tried oil on the turk didn't do dang thing. But meds from the vet worked wonders.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Be careful using oil on any bird, JMHO, wait and see the vet first most likely they will tell you what to use, what works best. I tried oil on the turk didn't do dang thing. But meds from the vet worked wonders.
Mmm, I can at least call the vet tomorrow and see what she says about what I can do until then. I'm picking them up at 6:30 pm, which means I likely won't be able to bring them in on tuesday at all. I'm half-tempted to ask if I can buy the treatment for scaly mites from them on tuesday and take them in thursday, but I think that really won't be an option. (For pretty darned good reasons, mind you)

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I would hope it's scaly face mites as that's easy to treat (injection of ivermectin, same as what's used for flea and tick medication for dogs - obviously should only be done by a vet).
It kind of looks like a tumor or other growth, though. If it's been there for a year and hasn't grown, then that tumor itself is probably not a big deal (and almost certainly not worth the risk of removal with it being so close to major blood vessels). But, it might mean she's more prone to developing other fatty tumors in other spots where they could potentially be a problem.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I would hope it's scaly face mites as that's easy to treat (injection of ivermectin, same as what's used for flea and tick medication for dogs - obviously should only be done by a vet).
It kind of looks like a tumor or other growth, though. If it's been there for a year and hasn't grown, then that tumor itself is probably not a big deal (and almost certainly not worth the risk of removal with it being so close to major blood vessels). But, it might mean she's more prone to developing other fatty tumors in other spots where they could potentially be a problem.
Either way, I need to get them looked at and want to wash the cage since her house is being fumigated for something.

If it is a tumor, then I might just have to keep them. I'm not sure if I can trust potential adopters to keep them on a low-fat diet or bring her to the vet should she develop further tumors.

Unless I can get my friend's contact to keep them in the sanctuary she runs, but I'm really iffy on that. They have over 200 birds atm, and I'd be worried that they might not receive the care they need.