• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Potentially Not Urgent? Budgie being sold with growth by beak?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Don’t do the olive oil thing. It doesn’t rid them of mites. More info about mites...

These are burrowing. Mites as mentioned. They CAN and WILL travel all over your house, flock (person). They do not survive on you but that doesn’t. Mean they wont hitchhike on you.

By the time you actually see signs of scaly face/scaly leg mites, they have been on the bird a long time. Ivermectin I believe is the right medication. YOu’ll have to re-treat later on. I’m sorry my brain has died. I’ll get back to you with dosage and frequency. Or you can google it.
Treat the entire flock for best results.

I can’t seem to see the photo clearly enough to say it does or doesn’t look like scaly face. Your vet will know. If you had a powerful microscope you might could see them. YOu can’t with the naked eye.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats the problem, you can't see them so you never really know if they are hitching a ride even if you wear gloves, a smock & change shoes or use plastic booties.

I guess if you had a 10X loupe you could see them...Are those those red dots people mention?

Its summer now so can you do a temporary out in a garage or basement? Something without rugs...Somewhere you can sort of contain them???

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The red dots are red mites. I’m not sure what magnification you’d need to see these guys. Even with a hard floor I would vacuum every day etc.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Don’t do the olive oil thing. It doesn’t rid them of mites. More info about mites...

These are burrowing. Mites as mentioned. They CAN and WILL travel all over your house, flock (person). They do not survive on you but that doesn’t. Mean they wont hitchhike on you.

By the time you actually see signs of scaly face/scaly leg mites, they have been on the bird a long time. Ivermectin I believe is the right medication. YOu’ll have to re-treat later on. I’m sorry my brain has died. I’ll get back to you with dosage and frequency. Or you can google it.
Treat the entire flock for best results.

I can’t seem to see the photo clearly enough to say it does or doesn’t look like scaly face. Your vet will know. If you had a powerful microscope you might could see them. YOu can’t with the naked eye.
Right, ditch the olive oil thing.

Is there any way to keep any mites from traveling to the rest of the flock? My brother's room is right outside of the bathroom, and I'm not above flinging myself in a stinking hot shower after handling them, along with buying extra meds/treatment/whatever preventatives are out there to keep it from spreading.

Once I get them here, I'll take closer pictures to share with you guys and take them to the vet anyways.

It looks like there may be a little white dot in the growth, from what little I can see in the second batch of pics. I think what I may do is take them in via the garage, make sure the other birds are all in other rooms and quickly usher them into my brother's old room. I'd leave them downstairs, but it's a lot colder down here and it's a high-traffic area. The only rooms I could potentially close them off in down here are the garage, but it's constantly dark, frigid and lonely down there, the cool room, which is cold and kind of smells thanks to my mom (she forgot about the pears and they turned into sludge and the room now smells like fermented pears), or the furnace room. It's warm unlike the other two, but it's very dark and I wouldn't want them breathing in the smell of laundry detergent all day (it's connected to the laundry room, the only way in or out is through the laundry room). Or I could leave them in the main playroom, which is a high-traffic area I spend a lot of time in. My brother's room is bright and airy and it's a bit of a mess (and full of knives), but I'm more than happy to tidy it up and shove all his knives in a box (He's a chef/hoarder hybrid. It's not terrible, it's just messy and pointy).

Thats the problem, you can't see them so you never really know if they are hitching a ride even if you wear gloves, a smock & change shoes or use plastic booties.

I guess if you had a 10X loupe you could see them...Are those those red dots people mention?

Its summer now so can you do a temporary out in a garage or basement? Something without rugs...Somewhere you can sort of contain them???
There are no rugs in the house. It's all tile and laminated flooring. IMHO, I think my best bet is my brother's room. He's coming back in September and it's the warmest room in the house, has no traffic, has a door and is right next to the restroom. It also has windows I can open a crack to get them fresh air and sun for a good part of the day.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Ugh, now that I look at them, he appears to have wonky wing feathers. If you look in my first post with the both of them, his primaries on the wing closest to us are shorter than the other.

@Eloy What do you think of the blue and white one's wing feathers?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
floors help as you can mop them well.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
$_59 (7).JPG
Definitely something up with that wing. It's so much shorter than the other.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Perhaps it simply broke a feather?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Garet how old are these two? If they are babies it could be broken feather or bad wing clip.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@Garet how old are these two? If they are babies it could be broken feather or bad wing clip.
Around 3 years old. I'm hoping it's just a bad clip. The owner said she has three young kids, and two are on the spectrum, so there's a possibility one of them was a little rough with handling him.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That happens...wings get caught or broke in many ways.

Not sure why only one got it if its mites. May the be a tumor...

Nice for you wanting to help them out...The blue one is really pretty too...I like blue & its a sortof lace wing.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That happens...wings get caught or broke in many ways.

Not sure why only one got it if its mites. May the be a tumor...

Nice for you wanting to help them out...The blue one is really pretty too...I like blue & its a sortof lace wing.
I do like him, but I'm really worried about his friend. I think the blue one is called an arc-en-ciel (rainbow) budgie here? I'm really hoping this is something we can just patch up and help them find a new home once they're better. It might be hard to find someone to take them both if the yellow one has a tumor, even if it isn't cancerous.

At least if it's mites, I can just medicate them and look for someone who will keep them together once they're both in good health.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
It looks like mites, I am not vet but looks like exactly what the Turk had.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well mites can be treated easier than a tumor & have to treat them both but wonder why the mites picked one bird???

Looks younger than a year to me??? Not sure if some yellow budgies donlt get grey in the eyes

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It looks like mites, I am not vet but looks like exactly what the Turk had.
Christ, is it creepy to look at. I don't envy Turk.

A lil more info on these two; she gave them sandpaper as a calcium supplement and they were both locked in the laundry room for being too loud. The yellow one also has overgrown nails because why take care of our pets?