• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Potentially Not Urgent? Budgie being sold with growth by beak?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
@rocky'smom
I found this advice for cleaning thinds that may be infested with mites. Does this sound like it would work?

Put every perch and food pot in hot water with chlorine (bleach) and leave them in there for about 30 minutes. Then wash them well with clean water and leave to dry.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Any perches that are wood can be baked in oven at 200degrees F for 5-10 minutes

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Any perches that are wood can be baked in oven at 200degrees F for 5-10 minutes
Eeeh, I'm iffy on keeping the perches. I don't know what wood they are and they seem to be a little ratty. The only bit of wood I'm debating keeping is their ladder, but it has hooks in it and I'm not sure if I can remove that.
Aside from the ladder, I'd like to potentially keep the PVC stand, their bath and their slinky. The blue guy seems to love it to death. He's always in it, from what I've seen.
I'd like to save their bead toys, but I don't think dunking them in bleach and giving them to these two munchkins is a good idea.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
With the Turk I ended up replacing the entire cage, it was junk to start with.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@rocky'smom Yeah, this cage ain't exactly the ritz, either. Ah well, I'll set up the spare cage and chuck this one come Friday, then figure out what to do from there. The spare cage isn't much better, but at least there won't be any mites hiding between the bars waiting to hatch and mangle her face again.

I'm starting to wonder if the yellow one's a girl, though? Her cere looks like a boy's and she sings quite nicely when she wants to.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Wait get the meds clean the cage, follow the instructions make 2nd appt make sure they are gone. Follow quarantine procedure

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Wait get the meds clean the cage, follow the instructions make 2nd appt make sure they are gone. Follow quarantine procedure
Yeah, I'm going to be extra careful with these two. :confused: The last thing I want is to spread this around. They're downstairs for now, I was way too worried to bring the cage up right away.

I'm not sure if I want to bring them upstairs... the furnace room might be my best option at this point. I'm worried it may be too dark, but I can take them outside via the laundry room door when I go out to tend to my garden.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
A short time in darkness is fine as long as they get thru this they can find the light! Have to do whats best for the rest right now & easiest for you

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
A short time in darkness if fine as long as they get thru this they can find the light! Have to do whats best for the rest right now & easiest for you
Yeah, I think you're right. It's not like the furnace room is a black hole. It has a small window I can set them up by.

It just sucks that I gotta stick them there. The blue boy is very friendly and let me touch his head. (Scrubbed my hands with disinfectant after and took a stinking hot soak). He really seems starved for attention.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
They have been moved into the furnace room. The little yellow one actually seems to be doing a little better. She stopped doing the thing with her beak. She did it constantly before and I didn't see her doing it once during the time I spent with them.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Holy heck are these birbs sweet.
20180627_121330.jpg
20180627_121336.jpg
And this was AFTER I grabbed him with a facecloth to check his beak and feet over for any sign of coral like his friend had. He just kept willingly stepping up onto my fingers. ;____________;

I was told that he doesn't like people and the yellow one is the friendly one.

The little yellow one was definitely born without one of her back toes.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
They are an absolute treasure. :sad4: It's gonna be so hard sending them to their forever home. Neither made any attempt to bite me, and they're just so trusting and aren't loud at all. Aside from the very infrequent bickering, all I hear are quiet budgie noises.

Garet

Real Name
Garet

They're so loud. No wonder they had to be locked away in the laundry room. :shakehead: I don't know if my neighbors can put up with this noise level, you guys.

Also: They are fans of daft punk.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Update: the cage is trash and belongs in the dump and their toys are even worse. I was misting them off and all the rope and string just fell apart. As I was getting rid of that, I noticed that there were thin strips of plastic in some of the toys that were too danged easy to tear apart and got rid of that as well.

Then I had to get rid of all the loose zip ties and realized there are two large doors on either side of the cage and no way to seal them and no way to remove the grate. The doors are real easy for a bird to open up and just need to be pushed or pulled from left to right.

Whoever designed that monstrosity should feel bad.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It took me 20 minutes to corral these two into a carrier for their appointment. Luckily the vet isn't far... it's boiling hot today, though. And there's no bus I can take to get there.
:faint: