• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please have them in your thoughts

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE: HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAYA (10 weeks old) 70 DAYS! :dance5:

This is not an end-all post. But it is a celebration post.
I hope to inform and clarify my thoughts=
NOTE: 'Young Adult' is classified as the time when the first molt/beak color is completed. It begins at 6 weeks, and ends 10 weeks (at the latest). Originally I hoped for her to make it to 7 days... then hoped for 30 days (weaning). Now she is 70 days.... and honestly, still a bit of a mystery- but she is my little mystery.

Terrible storm/crashing-cage/lightening/flooding- Abandoned Nest- No electricity/Brooder- Paralysis- Infection- SHE MADE IT.

70 days in review: (at a few days old)
Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 12.29.09 PM.png

At one point, this is what her crop was one sided, and filled with an extreme amount of air- but she was negative for yeast.
(graphic warning from the infection caused by 'improper embryo development' most likely because I had to incubate the eggs in my hands/legs for a period of time and of course- the rolling/moving of the precious eggs (smashing to the floor didnt help when the enclosure got crushed)... in which I needed to find meds (off the market):
Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 12.31.58 PM.png

I questioned whether or not she was meant to thrive. Scientifically- I was ready to throw in the towel... to prevent undue suffering. Shortly after the vet confirmed that Foo Man Choo (brother) died from embryo underdevelopment (heart mostly and couldnt process correctly). However MY HUMAN, wee-bit of a heart took over, and I continued to give the best care money and time could buy (with limited expectations).

TODAY:
In her honor:
Birthday cake: - egg, pellet and quinoa with honey millet topping and a carrot candle
She received a 'hut' nest to be added to her enclosure and Harrisons superfine pellets (which turns out she loves) as birthday gifts.

She is 100% weaned! (still regurgitates sometimes whole seeds?) and beautiful with her bright white tummy and griege body. The bold back lines on her tail are stunning.

SONG: An interesting note, interconnected brain nuclei enables 'learned song' patterns in adult male zebras. The nucleui in the females (who do not sing are greatly reduced).
Males have more hormone-concentrating cells than females, and this enables them the same language learning capacity as humans. Therefore I was confused by her ability vocal communications. After significantly recording her songs- it is very similar to what she was raised with 'kisses, smooches and clicks' when I was feeding her as a kit. While I played zebra songs for her during development, she only responded to humans unfortunately (too little too late).:straightface:

PHYSICAL: According to some professionals after seeing blind photos of her-
She is a 'SHE' LB/DD/BB (lightback, Dominent Dilute, black breasted) but considering the lightening/storm- she may also be a super hero :smuggrin: lol

Therefore, her father: must be a lightback/silver- which is a very rare combination and was thought not to exist until recently (winner at a few birds shows recently was a lightback/dominent dilute (another name for silver).

If she was a 'dominent dilute' (silver) then her tail bars would not be black (tail bars are as black as the night- fittingly so with the name Saya 'born in the night').
It is noted that some 'creams' (silver + fawn) will produce pink legs in show. Her mother was a blackbreasted, but could have carried fawn (silver +fawn makes creams).
The confusion regarding her beak/feet is still quite a mystery. It does seem to be darkening slightly- but well- that is to be debated I guess.
So she is: Lightback, Dominent dilute (silver), Black Breasted.
Here is an image of a lightback hen:
lb_hen3.jpg

I would assume, there will be a very clear conclusion in 2 weeks (when they reach full sexual maturity and can actually breed :wideyed:.... (which I dont let happen, but they can).

I will keep updating as things progress- but I wanted to make a special post in honor of her achievement.
(now if I could only teach her to read..... and maybe do the dishes......) :sneaky:

Attachments

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I should also add: she has NO interest in other birds. Even after her enclosure was placed in between two different clutches. She prefers human interaction, and loves sunlight. She enjoys playing in your pocket (peekaboo type thing)and is not afraid of, well, anything (faucets, showers, microwaves, dishwasher, dog barking, clapping hands, etc). She would be a great parrot.... but she is a greige ping pong ball with wings. Speaking of which, flying is better- she flies to me on command, but has no desire to 'fly away'

Even when I try and convince her, she just wants to be with mom. I can place her on the stand, and as I walk away- she flies in a fury to be on my shoulder. She is sweeter than I ever imagined, but soon, at sexual maturity, I assume she will begin her birdly duties and look for a mate- seemingly forgetting about her upbringing.

Heather F

PHYSICAL: According to some professionals after seeing blind photos of her-
She is a 'SHE' LB/DD/BB (lightback, Dominent Dilute, black breasted) but considering the lightening/storm- she may also be a super hero :smuggrin: lol

Therefore, her father: must be a lightback/silver- which is a very rare combination and was thought not to exist until recently (winner at a few birds shows recently was a lightback/dominent dilute (another name for silver).
Definitely super hero, just like her mama! :D

If I recall correctly, father survived and went right on to mate again. Has he actually made any babies yet? Are they also interestingly coloured?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::heart::hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She is such a special little angel of a bird.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Definitely super hero, just like her mama! :D

If I recall correctly, father survived and went right on to mate again. Has he actually made any babies yet? Are they also interestingly coloured?
Yes- the father survived, he went on to have a clutch with a fawn.
And the babies were cream and fawn (one of which is almost white with dark feathers underneath) so the father has to have silver in him (to make cream babies, you need a silver and a fawn). Here is a photo of the clutch with saya (she is the one with black- her beak started black and turned pink).
photo 4[1].JPG
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 8.44.43 AM.png

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Maybe Saya is carrier for cream genes?hence the pink beak.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Crazy4parrots

Update: 77 Days old
22.5 grams

Socially: Saya now flies like a junior pro- she flies to me, and well.... to me. She begins flight from my hand and makes a circle about 4 feet circumference and lands on my shoulder. She is not specific to me... she loves all humans. She does make more vocalizations than the other females, and still hates all other birds- even nestlings (she walks over and pulls out their feathers!)

Physically: I noticed she was more fluffed than normal today, which is what prompted me to make the posting. But overall seems healthy.
Her beak is darker (feet are not). It does have an orange hue to it- Im waiting to see how dark it gets.
She has a few new pin feathers here are there, and she is still weaned :)
Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 2.58.44 PM.png
Boring video- but you can see her feathers/bodyshape:

Here is scritches- likes to be under my hand being scratched- so hard to take video and massage a tiny bird at the same time:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
D'awwwwww, tiny snuggly ping pong ball. That beak is definitely turning orange!
Snuggly is right- I look at the images of her, and I want to kiss her little cheeks!

(even tho she is a finch- she still has the musk/dust scent that larger bird do. I sniff her head all the time- she thinks im crazy (so does my husband).

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Snuggly is right- I look at the images of her, and I want to kiss her little cheeks!

(even tho she is a finch- she still has the musk/dust scent that larger bird do. I sniff her head all the time- she thinks im crazy (so does my husband).
I figured i wasn't the only one who likes to sniff my bird. I love the way she smells.:smuggrin:

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
What a cute ping pong ball you have there! :)
Saya needs a small paper party hat! :lol:You heard me @mythic55 I want to see Saya in a party hat :hehe::hehe:
You are so awesome for not giving up on her when she might not have made it!

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María

Her head is turning gray? It looks like it!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Her head is turning gray? It looks like it!
With lightback- the head is slightly grey, and body is more buff. You can only notice in the sun. It has been like that for many weeks....

It's one thing I like about that mutation , thanks for noticing :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wow Saya is beautiful & sounds like an interesting mutation but we already know she is special!