• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please have them in your thoughts

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have been through quite a bit recently, and my two show quality (jumbo) zebra finches laid eggs. (they were all I had left after I lost y grey to PBFD). Everything was fine... then a monster storm hit (hail, rain and lightening hit the aviary).

I took fast action moving everyone inside- but for the incubating female, it was all too much. She passed away, and with her death, her mate decided he no longer wanted to incubate the eggs. I took action and set up the best I could on short notice a incubator (my old incubator kicked the bucket apparently).

Well the eggs are hatching!
I have been giving them rehydration liquid in tiny drops and a bit of formula (they are about 24 hours old now). Im NOT new to this- but controlling the temp has been a nightmare. 6 eggs total. I see them as 6 offspring of my hand tamed finches.... my Alpha who passed away because of a freak storm.

In the incubator: It was far to hot for too long (temp read right... but I could see it in their body language), please keep them in your thoughts. The two hatchlings are 50/50 survival and there are two more eggs pipping. The new thermometer gets here late tonight.

Im worried it will be too late :(

Thanks everyone!

The full story can be found on the blog... so very sad. Please send out your good thoughts.... :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh no, so sorry to hear this. I hope they survive.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have all of my fingers and toes crossed for your tiny babies.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
Hang in there babies! Your new "momma" loves you!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers for the babies, Sorry theyre mom passed :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive thoughts your way. Sorry about the loss of mother finch.
Hoping all goes well w/ the babies.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
We lost one little guy in the night.... He was almost out of his shell, and between visits (5 visits during the night) he passed away.

There are still two eggs, and two babies (2.5 days old and 2 days old). I named this one Man-Choo because he looks like a sensei from a 1970's karate film.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Oh my, I'm praying for these little ones to make it. Poor babies. Please keep us updated.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Did the thermometer arrive? I hope it's going ok for the remaining babies!

(A big storm in Dubai?! That's pretty rare isn't it?)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Did the thermometer arrive? I hope it's going ok for the remaining babies!

(A big storm in Dubai?! That's pretty rare isn't it?)
Pretty rare is an understatement. Made worse because Im not on mainland... so the wind speeds up and creates a furry.
I lived in Hong Kong for many years- we have Typhoons- I would take a 'black' typhoon over this any day. In the meantime the aviary and my facility has been remodeled. They were technically protected from the major elements here is dubai (excessive heat, wind and cold). I didn't plan for getting hit by lightening, going down to 14C in 10 minutes and flooding!

Hail and rain in Abu Dhabi - video | The National

Thermometer arrived, and they both give opposite readings :( so instead I check on the hatchlings every 30 minutes while awake, and 5 times during the night to check body language. The body of one of these delicate little creatures can tell you a lot.

They get fed every hour as of this moment. I am afraid the brooder was too hot and the eggs are not going to make it. I just have to try and keep these guys alive no matter what!

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
As they 'hopefully' get older:
Foo man-Choo is the large darker one, and Sayo (means born at night) is the smaller one that seems to have a slower crop. After 7 days things will be easier. Right now it is a battle of temp control not of dedication.

Im assuming: Foo was born about 10 hours earlier than Sayo (I was sleeping).
Both have had the same care: with rehydration liquid and very thin formula. Originally, Foo was the one that I assumed was in trouble. Now it seems Sayo has a slower crop- I added a little bit of apple juice to balance out the pH in her crop (thereby hoping to eliminate infection). Both have perfect yellow stools, and are relatively active, but Sayo seems much weaker and doesn't beg for food with the same enthusiasm.

As you can see- the thermometer and humidity levels read differently:
(31 vs 34.5, and 56 vs 70)

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hug8:
Hope you get the babies to thrive!
Prayers coming for your lil ones.

:hug8:

QBird

Jogging around the block
Sorry to hear about your loss Mythic, I do hope that the babies pull through they are so lucky to have you dedicated to helping them

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Sayo developed a large air bubble in her crop in the evening. She is still eager to feed and active, so I gave her a dose of 'apple cider mix' to reduce the pH.
I ordered a new box of pharmaceuticals... it should be here on Feb 1st (ordered them 1 week ago). Pray they dont get an infection before then :(

Kimberla

Avenue Veteran
Oh my gosh!! They are so tiny!!! You have a wonderful steady hand. I can't imagine feeding babies this tiny!! Good luck. Ii hope they continue to do well. You really have had a run of it. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.. >>>HUG<<<

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:hug4: