• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please have them in your thoughts

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Is Zeka formerly known as Bunny? :)

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
Saya is so gorgeous. Is Zeka the new name for Bunny? They seem to be getting along! Does that change Saya's neediness toward you? I literally sat here and read through this whole story today from the beginning. Just so amazed by you and Saya!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Zeka is the new name for bunny- Zeka means 'bunny' in croatian. ;)

They get along- I catch them cuddling all the time. If they see me, they will abandon each other, but when not in my presence there is some serious lov'in going on.

Bunny is soon going to go through his mount and change into adult colors. Hoping for a boy (because blackface are just beautiful) but what matters is they get along.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Saya is so gorgeous. Is Zeka the new name for Bunny? They seem to be getting along! Does that change Saya's neediness toward you? I literally sat here and read through this whole story today from the beginning. Just so amazed by you and Saya!
Thank you. Say is beautiful, she still has some health issues (she has a little wheez when she flies for extremely long distances, etc. Her little organs just never developed quite right as an embryo, so she gets winded a little easier and is still small in size. But she is a fighter, so she needs people instead of a big bird flock like other finches).

She has so much contrast in her feathers that she maintains this royal beauty without all the fancy colors.

She is still EXTREMELY needy. She flies after me if I leave the room, screams in her enclosure.... (if I take her out, she is quiet.... she has trained me well). I think as Zeka gets older, and more active, that Saya will be more interested in interacting with him beyond the mid day cuddle session. She is also very spoiled with food... she throws temper tantrums if she doesn't get her soft food and sprouted seed in the morning first thing before Zeka gets formula.

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
She sounds like such a character lol. I think it's fascinating that she was so steadfastly unwilling to interact with cream finches but has accepted this black little guy. I wonder what the deal is there? Just personal preference, I guess lol

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
That really was a stroke of inspiration to pair Saya with a hand-fed makeup brush of her own! Saya and Zeka are so lucky to have you and each other!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Update:
Zeka is just as tame, if not mores than Saya.... and they love each other. Zeka is slow to molt as well (but kinda also seems like a female- which I was hoping for a male), but very healthy. They love each other and Saya has stopped her 'screaming' (only screams for treats or bath time- lol). They are a permanent fixture in the dining area, with a beautiful view of the ocean. Spoiled. Rotten.

They cuddle in their enclosure and just adore each other sleeping in a compact little feather ball at night. The new enclosure is working great- I can't wait till Zeka is done with formula and has less 'projectile' feces (finches literally aim and fire!.... but as they get older the feces is more formed and a normal 'drop')

Here is a video of Zeka trying to figure out how to take a bath: moral of the story- get 'IN' the water, don't just copy your buddy.

(saya is down a few tail feathers on one side from a crash she had. But now a couple weeks later they grew back extremely full and she is doing another molt!)

Heather F

Oh that's precious! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: And that video! :laugh::roflmao::rofl:

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
Aww!! Saya is so amazing and Zeka is precious. I'm glad they get on well. Do they pretty much prefer each other's company or do they still want attention from you?

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Love these updates. So glad Saya has a buddy now.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Aww!! Saya is so amazing and Zeka is precious. I'm glad they get on well. Do they pretty much prefer each other's company or do they still want attention from you?
Funny you mention that. They still both prefer me if I happen to grace their presence, lol.
So if I bring them both out for play time, they are not competitive but both desire love at the same time (saya takes her bath first and wants to 'dry' on me, but Zeka just wants the underside of her beak rubbed asap). They don't seem to understand that scritches only come from my hand- and will find other areas to cuddle (cleavage, shoulder, etc).

I can say- their all time goal is falling asleep on my computer while I type away. I end up only using one hand because they lean in very closely as want to be touching me. But this is honest... not 'my bird likes me' this is velcro bird syndrome times two. Which honestly, now that they have each other in the enclosure, I can be selective with interaction (without the screaming) and have two wonderful pin pong balls!

and of course if I don't bring them out for playtime... they remind me with 'dual temper tantrums'.... lol

Last edited:

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
Funny you mention that. They still both prefer me if I happen to grace their presence, lol.
So if I bring them both out for play time, they are not competitive but both desire love at the same time (saya takes her bath first and wants to 'dry' on me, but Zeka just wants the underside of her beak rubbed asap). They don't seem to understand that scritches only come from my hand- and will find other areas to cuddle (cleavage, shoulder, etc).

I can say- their all time goal is falling asleep on my computer while I type away. I end up only using one hand because they lean in very closely as want to be touching me. But this is honest... not 'my bird likes me' this is velcro bird syndrome times two. Which honestly, now that they have each other in the enclosure, I can be selective with interaction (without the screaming) and have two wonderful pin pong balls!

and of course if I don't bring them out for playtime... they remind me with 'dual temper tantrums'.... lol
Oh man, that is fantastic! The best of both worlds!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
:lol:I'm doing everything right but this bath just doesn't seem to be working...:heart:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
No emergency... only positive: I took a sabbatical of sorts.... but im back.
Saya is still alive and spoiled!

Her last vet visit (in which she sat on the vets shoulder the whole time) was very positive.

She has a bit of a 'whistle' when she breaths hard as her organs never did develop correctly. But she is very happy, healthy and sweet. She enjoys her free flight time, kleenex paper fetch and egg food- but doesnt go further than 1 ft from her non feathered mommy. Routinely- she has baths on the coffee table. I took a quick video...

She is mommies little girl.

I am prepare to add another member to the 'house finch' or 'Days of Saya's Lives'.... the cage is large, and I think Saya and Zeka deserve another friend. (hand fed of course ;) I think I reserved just the right candidate (currently an egg but should be silver/blackface).

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::heart::hug8:

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
So happy to hear about Saya! The little feather all is spoiled rotten, lol.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
So happy to hear about Saya! The little feather all is spoiled rotten, lol.
Thank you so much. I just cant believe I fell for a finch ;P
I will say I still miss being able to bury my face in giant parrot feathers..... but this little thing is so sweet. She spent over an hour today weaving torn tissue into my hair then perched on my shoulder for a long nap. Priceless.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Adorable! So glad she is doing well.