• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please have them in your thoughts

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
is turning orange or red!
It looks like Saya's beak is turning orange. It's definitely different color than 10 days ago. It's slower change, just anything else with her, but it's getting there.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
is turning orange or red!
It looks like Saya's beak is turning orange. It's definitely different color than 10 days ago. It's slower change, just anything else with her, but it's getting there.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
She's so beautiful. Growing up so well.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
She's so beautiful. Growing up so well.
Thanks so much. She is quite the character.

@Crazy4parrots
'ENTER' haha.

My gut says female... (which would be orange beak) but my brain notes these very unique song characteristics. However Zebra finches have the same language learning capabilities as humans (one of the reasons they are studied so much). Parrots can mimic, but language learning is something slightly different. So I am wondering if I coursed her to make extra ordinary noises considering she had only human contact in her formidable years.

I did some study on Zebra finch song- but it was only specific to the males (study on female was only on the acceptance of song in mating- preference of longer song, etc)/

For those of your that are not aware of beak colors of finches, here is a photo- orange vs red (female vs male- regardless of the feather colors) but note- I have never seen pink legs- even in the young:
Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 11.29.15 AM.png

IDENTITY:
I asked some UK breeders- showed the pics of Saya, they said:

"Pink beak/feet thing is strange- but ***** had that happen once and it stayed that way, darkened a titch but never orange, so mating became an issue. That looks like a lightback hen split to black breasted"

(meaning dad would have to be a silver lightback- not a regular lightback or a regular silver. That would explain confusion over her identity)
I say identity, but that is not what I mean... Her identity is, in all honesty:
Saya the housefinch

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE: 68 days old
Pin feathers opened nicely (quite a few left all over her body). Here she is taking a bath:
Note how her tail is filling out- and she has feathers under her wings. Beak is a bit darker towards the nostril, or more yellow/pale where the beaks meet. She only is taking .1ml once a day now in the morning. So officially she is weaned ;) :dance4:

I tried giving her some dried insects- which just became projectiles. lol

I listened to the other females/male zebra interactions yesterday. Trying to identify some of her garbles.
She sounds like a male. No doubt- I hear the males make the same tonation garbles to the females when they want to be snuggled or wants the female to cuddle in the nest.

But she doesnt have flank markings- or a breast bar. She looks like a female lightback split to blackbreasted (a few of her tail feathers show the blackbreasted from the mother). Technically 10 weeks she should be done with her moult (70 days old). So im holding strong, and not finalizing any conclusions.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Saya is so cute beak looks like its getting some orange tone?

:dance4:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for continuing the updates. Always enjoy reading about the adorable and beautiful Saya.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
T
Thank you for continuing the updates. Always enjoy reading about the adorable and beautiful Saya.
i hope people enjoy reading about her, she has had a significant impact on my life, and I hope- I guess that it finds other pleasure as well.

Heather F

T

i hope people enjoy reading about her, she has had a significant impact on my life, and I hope- I guess that it finds other pleasure as well.
Given this thread has had almost 8,000 page views, you'd better believe that others have been interested in her progress! She has a huge fan club! :cheer::cantwait::leslieatwork::marlenesmile::loveshower:

I'm glad you've been updating even now that she seems to be properly out of the woods at last. It's been amazing to watch her go from a tiny sickly wee thing barely clinging to life to a rambunctious little fluff ball, and every video of her cute antics is extra exciting knowing everything she's been through.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
@mythic55, I've learned everything I now know about European Finches from reading this thread... Which is a surprising amount and includes hand-feeding schedules from hatching through weaning, expected developmental milestones, some genetics of color mutations, and even a bit of behavior in hand-raised vs. parent-raised chicks. I have for you, in a word: RESPECT.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just as cute as ever!

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but is it possible to do DNA testing on finches, with just a drop or two of blood from clipped toenail?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You did a great job and I respect you for taking on this challenge :yourock:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but is it possible to do DNA testing on finches, with just a drop or two of blood from clipped toenail?
Yes, in theory you could- very, very carefully. But here it is more difficult.
The travel time for the same is insane and last time the sample was no good- (We dont have mail, addresses or mailman, etc). So it is best to do it at the vet (but it is 190USD plus the cost of the vet visit).