• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please have them in your thoughts

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Wow, that one needs a "HAZARDOUS LEVELS OF CUTE" warning label! :faint:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I have heard rumors of finch with pink beak and feet. They say that pink feet and beak could be a new mutation. There was discussion about it on finchforum.com
But to confirm, she has to be at least 10 weeks old. And she is only 8 weeks.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She loves her mommy, love the 3rd pic where she is looking up at you

DaisyB

Moving in
Real Name
Diana Bravo
Wow! I just joined the forum and saw Saya when she was newly hatched! So, so happy you have her and she is beautiful

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE:

Trying to sing? She did it a few times so I turned on the camera. She loves to sit on top of my iphone. But I got her making muddled voice. If she starts to sing, then it is for sure a 'HE' as females dont sing. Or it could just be communicating. Here it is: (she does it when she jumps on top of my phone... then I copy her to see if she repeats it)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ohhh was that the beginning sounds of warbling? :D Or cuddle me closer sounds? Did she open her beak and move her head around and her throat moved when she did that?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Saya's little face just makes me smile.
I know she's a little handful, but ....oh!!!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Bokkapooh
No dancing, but a little neck stretch.... Im keeping my eyes and ears open.

UPDATE: Almost weaned. Takes .3ml every so often, but I see her eat seeds, veggies, egg food, etc and she is starting to refuse formula
However:

I mentioned her feather density issues- seemed to have issues growing feathers initially and lately I have noticed a few feathers missing. Im officially uncomfortable and this morning, I counted 5 feathers in the base of her enclosure, and during playtime, she lost another 3 (not blood feathers).

There is also a bald spot on her head (upper cheek patch behind ear). The skin is smooth, no flaking, discoloration, etc. Just a clutch of feathers are missing.
Here is a photo (note that even as I am taking the photo- another small feather has fallen out on her back) :( Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 8.41.54 AM.png

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Shes just doing this to mess with mommy. When Beeper went through her bad patch she would just drop bunches of feathers but she was really sick. Maybe she is very sensitive and tends to show it by dropping feathers, she certainly seems to be doing great otherwise.

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
This thread is amazing to follow! For the patch of feathers missing, is it possible she scratched it on something? Also, amazing to hear that she is almost weaned!:birdance:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE: 59 Days old
weight: 20.6
(at 10 weeks (in 11 days), most finches have full adult colors... and orange beaks)

She seems to be losing feathers on each side of her head. She does however have tons of pin feathers all over here face (you can see the tiny little white spots).
She is technically going into her adult colors- so maybe it is just a really uneven moult? But she does have tons of pin feathers coming in.
Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 8.32.06 AM.png
She still regurgitates often. It used to be only formula, but now also regurgitates seeds and then eats them again.
I got it on video (sorry about the tv in the background- my phone picks up everything).

Still very, very pink (not orange, lol). Starting to make lots of different noises... and really eating on her own (almost). When I bring in her sprouted seed and egg food in the morning, hops over and chows down. Then hops out of the enclosure, and asks for formula. I give her the syringe but she only takes about .2 ml

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Love her beeps & can't wait for the suspense at her beak color.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
For those of you that think she is cute, HAZARDOUS LEVELS OF CUTE WARNING:

PROOF OF INTELLIGENCE: the zebra finch.
I study these little rascals, and I explain to people how intelligent they are, but they are skiddish so they get a bad rap.

We hang out here, while I take a break from work. She gets irritated, and flies on top of my computer. She almost makes a muddled song (mating call beginning?) when she is on a high place (hand or object... hard to get on video). She does it a lot... dont quite know what to think of it.

HOWEVER: OK, acting crazy to the water bottle.... turns out she wanted the water- proceeded to take a bath in the bottletop (couldnt get the first part on camera because water was flying EVERYWHERE.
Trying to get in:

Bathing in bottletop:

Last edited:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They do love their water...:heart::coffeescreen:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What a smart little birdie. Next video she will be typing on the keyboard!