• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please have them in your thoughts

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I do want to say I'm just in awe of all you've done for this little one and just how tame and loving she is towards you as a response.

As someone with a small parrot, I don't want to be one of those people who underestimate the companionship the little ones can provide and how loving they can be but I'll admit I'm very amazed at just how unafraid she is of you and how much personality is packed into that tiny golf ball with wings. I shouldn't be surprised by her but that video of her pulling your hair and pestering you is just so parrot-like in my mind, and very cute (though I can see why that would get very old, very fast. Like a child, poke poke poke poke, until you give up. :shifty:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Agreed

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I do want to say I'm just in awe of all you've done for this little one and just how tame and loving she is towards you as a response.)
Thank you. You are very kind. I could not have done it without this forum.
.... I know... cliche. I am a Darwinist- pessimist- bent on disproving even my own beliefs. I still remain speechless, honestly.

I really want to take more video of her actually just being her... but that would involve everyone actually seeing 'me' (human, not hand form)... which I am not too keen on.

I can say, something about her kept me going after I lost my CAG, not sure how to interpret my feelings. But this tiny thing almost did me in... emotionally and physically. Yet, I fel I owe her.....(well maybe him) so much.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
How are Saya & Valentine doing? Are they sharing time together or is Saya having none of it? Also is she finally weaning?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@"Crazy4parrots"

Valentine needed to be separated from everyone. He was pulling the feathers out of his clutch mates. He is very aggressive, and frankly, a pain in my butt.

Saya also doesnt get along with other birds, but is fine with them being 'next' to her (cage next to cage).
The rest of the babies are wonderful little gems. I will see if Saya might be interested in being friends with the little one (named Aspro- means white in greek).

Saya is still doing the same on weaning. I see her play around with stuff, and eat here and there.... but she still has 1.5ml hand feeding every 2 hours. Im waiting for that point where Saya refuses formula, but it has yet to come. She wont touch egg food or veggies.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I'm sorry I haven't been giving you the good vibes that I waned to give you,:depressed: but I'm glad to hear that Saya is eating 10% of her seed diet.:hug8::dance5:I hope Valentine will live a good life too with Mommy.:)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry I haven't been giving you the good vibes that I waned to give you,:depressed: but I'm glad to hear that Saya is eating 10% of her seed diet.:hug8::dance5:I hope Valentine will live a good life too with Mommy.:)
OK
1: I don't know how to do the highlighted person thing, so I am quoting you.
2: What do you mean good vibes? You are fabulous, you have been amazing. Did I say something to make you think otherwise? please excuse my brash personality, it is just in my nature- similar to sun conures making noise, and ring necks chewing, I have to filter... I speak, then think.
A Lorikeet....I admire you. I would rather have tiny turds all over my house than fructose... Well technically I prefer large parrot droppings... but beggars can't be choosers ;)
You baby is smashing.

Last edited:

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I don't know how to do the highlighted person thing
You do it like @ and then their username, like this- @mythic55 (@ mythic55 without the space)
Sort of went off subject a bit.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
On the next episode of Days of our Saya and Co...

UPDATE: HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAYA !
7 Weeks old (49 days).

Weight. 20.5 grams. You made it this far against all odds: Full use of foot, and wings for balance:

Her beak should be orange, and she should have more adult feathers.... but who's counting?...... well, I AM. She is so strange in so many ways, there is no tracking her progress in comparison. She is just Saya... and doing whatever she wants! (including pooping in my Prada purse, lovely).

Still not weaned, or even close. But noticed she has great interest in Herbal Tonic. Herbal Tonic is a product I am developing for smaller birds that allows them to self medicate. While living in USA, China and Middle east I become fascinated with nutrition and herbal solutions. Eating certain herbs, as a great power to help the body heal- and many medicines are based off of them. . . Anywho. There is a dish of this in her cage. I have noticed that she has become very interested, and actually sits to 'eat' certain items. My other bird of course do this... but she is special needs, and has gravitated towards this over egg food or other supplemental feeding options. So I am intrigued to- say the least. It is evident she actually picks through the items, and chooses just a few (there are nearly 25 things in it, so I cant distinguish which ones she is choosing).

Here are some of the important ingredients, if someone has some comments on which you think she is consuming, I would be interested:
Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 2.35.28 PM.png

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:yah: for Saya

Heather F

:bounce4: She's just so stinkin' adorable.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
OMG, when you said her name and she super meeped!!! So adorable!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for continuing to post the updates on Saya. You have done a wonderful job with her and she is quite beautiful even without all of her adult feathers and the orange beak (which will probably arrive sooner or later).

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Any updates? :)
On the 54th episode of Saya & Co's Lives: Pink is the new Black
Saya is pink- beak, feet, mouth. PINK. still (can't believe she is 54 days old........!)

SOCIAL:
Say doesn't get along with other birds- no matter what I do. She charges at them beak open and pulls out feathers. There was an experiment: Move some babies into a big brand new enclosure (including Saya... all from different clutches). I monitored the situation, but the babies are all so much bigger than her, within minutes they ganged up on her. One on one she is the bully, in a group she gets picked on.

I think she will have to be alone until I can confirm if 'she' is a 'she' (or he) and find a suitable mate.
This is her new behavior- goes into my hand and settles in like she is in a nest, chatters her beak and coo's. If I stop petting her, she till take her beak and push my fingers. She enjoys 'grooming' me (very quickly vibrating her beak across my skin).

FEEDING:
I am happy to say, she is getting there on weaning. She still has a 'top off' feeding (every 3 hours or so) of about .5ml
I tried stopping the formula, and she started to drop weight fast, so I resumed. She is very picky about what seeds she eats, and doesn't consume enough protein (egg food, insects, etc) so I am going to increase the protein/fat in her 'top off' formula feedings by 5% as she really needs it for her feather growth.

SEX:
Still don't know. Sometimes I think I hear a specific tone that I have only ever heard in males. Physically I would say she looks like a girl. But behavioral- I would say male.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Saya is adorable & has come so far it is amazing. The two of you have a special bond. Continued success getting her weaned & some day to find her a mate so he or she can have a full life.
:heart::hug8::heart:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Saya is adorable & has come so far it is amazing. The two of you have a special bond. Continued success getting her weaned & some day to find her a mate so he or she can have a full life.
:heart::hug8::heart:
Thanks. I dont quite understand what happened... obviously, storm/lightening, abandonment, chaos and the like. But I wish I knew what EXACTLY went on. Crippled foot, one sided crop, light pink feet... Im hoping we are out of the woods, and she will just keep developing and soon will be my 'miniature jumbo finch', HAHA
I just wish she could tell me... if she could speak. Im thinking about going and getting an xray done, just to see what her insides look like- but I dont want to traumatize her. I need to remember, stress kills these little guys.

She is strange... I was just totaling up the financial impact to raise a ping pong ball- and I gasped. 4 containers of formula, vet visits, medication, special everything (even items I had to ship from USA... you know something is wrong when you pay more for shipping than the item).

By 10 weeks she should be fully color-feathered out (normally). But she is not normal. So I wonder... and the suspense is killing me. Just wish I could fast forward time.
However, I learned so much. Somehow I feel like she helped me, just as much as I helped her.

Last edited: