• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Petsmart blowout prices on some Avian Adventures -- hurry

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry. Call and let Midwest know. Doesn't matter how much you paid for it. It's supposed to be brand new. If it has flaws these need to be corrected and parts need to be replaced. It's important to let them know that there are quality issues and a lack of quality control.

That metal filing is dangerous. Touch up paint....not good. Place where you insert toy hook definitely tweaked and not acceptable. The paint might have opened during shipping but the other issues do not seem shipping related, IMO. Do give them a call. You have photos you can send them, too.

So used to seeing natural wood perches....too bad they downgraded to dowels.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, you can probably use a needle nose or blunt nose pliers to fix the place where you insert the toy hook, but contact Midwest first. I had to tweak the base of the Loro I received because the bottom of the cage would not fit into one of the legs. It was like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Midwest was closed when I started putting it together and it was a Friday night so they were closed over the weekend. Since I had taken everything out of the box I just wanted to assemble it. If I had to do it over again I would have just put everything aside and called Midwest when they re-opened on Monday.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I've made two calls to Petsmart and been given two different stories as we were charged and were not supposed to have been until shipped. Though cage hasn't shipped. One girl, yesterday, was apologetic, indicating that the warehouse it was shipping from has been having problems with this issue. She indicated that the warehouse will call us back by afternoon today to tell us what was going on. No call. So I called this evening. Different girl, totally clueless, I told her the story ans she said she doesn't know why I was told that ... "it hasn't shipped". So I asked why we were already charged and she said she didn't know. their policy is that it should ship within 3 days. I said Okay, it's December 5th. "Well, shipping is delayed". Asked to speak to a supervisor since she was giving me a totally different story than the girl yesterday. Perpetual HOLD. She came back on and said she'd have someone call me back. I'm not holding my breath.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rolanda I suggest that you call Midwest. They are shipping the cage and they can let you know whether the cage as shipped and/or when it will ship.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
So Petsmart isn't even shipping? What a pain! Okay, I will try them tomorrow. Thank You!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cage ships directly from Midwest out of Indiana. Petsmart sent me one email with one tracking number for cages. Checked on Fedex and only one package weighing 58 lbs. Knew that cage should weigh more and there should be more packages. I got the other 3 tracking numbers directly from Midwest. Chiquita is sent in two boxes.

Go to post #97 in this thread.

Last edited:

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
I did take a pliers, wrench and a screwdriver to try to pry the square opening to be... square....for the toy hook and all I managed to do was damage the finish, still won't go in. I will call about that and for more paint. Right now bird is scared of the new cage, I'll give it a few weeks. only treats to be had are in the Chiquita!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They will have to replace the perch n toy hook part & top of cage & the paint.

My paint bottle came with some missing & a bit messy but not lik that.

Had to file an extra blob of metal off the bottom of the toy hook so it would fit in the square
& straighten one of the pegs so it would align / fit in the groove/

All in all it was acceptible.

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
Is the general midwest number the right one to call? 765-289-3355
 ? Are they good over email? (i prefer email) they have an email option to contact them...

I'll get new top part for hook and paint. Right now though it's up to bird if i keep it or sell it. She's currently acting terrified and won't even come out of her cage. I live in small apt so I had to put the new cage by hers. We will see.

I do like how sturdy it feels and the casters. But it's obviously made for a larger bird as a sleep cage??? bowls and perches and spacing fits amazon or cockatoo or larger but cage space is only 22x28 so not sure what they're really aiming for there.....

Of course, I'm comparing it to a PH Flight cage so it's no comparison (although to be fair my PH flight cage shows no sign of wear, and i think plastic pans are the best, no worries about rust!)

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
I'm not too upset about the dowels, both they and the natural wood perches would have been far too large for my cheekie. I have a corkscrew willow tree i use for perches so that will make a really nice replacement on top :D

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ecogirl2206 I recommend calling. You can use the number you posted or 800-428-8560. I have red-bellied parrots in mine and that works out fine for them. I am planning on using the Chiquitas that I ordered with other red-bellied parrots or my Senegal. My 'toos and Amazons are in the next size up, the Mediana, except for one 'too who has an Inglebrook Forges cage. Would get her a new one but she gets stressed easily and then seizures so I won't take a chance. Sometimes when you put a bird in a new cage they will be fearful of it at first. How is the bar spacing with your green cheek? I personally don't like plastic pans. They tend to stain after awhile and also can crack. I have an old Chiquita and there are no signs of rust. Maybe the Nina would have been better for the green cheek or a Loro but the Loro is very pricey right now. Really depends on the size of your conure and whether or not the bar spacing is too big or just right.

This is from the Midwest website: "Chiquita Playtop Cages are Ideal for Senegals, Conures, Quakers, Lorles, Calques, Pionus and Available in three colors"

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
When i got her she was in a 20x22 cage with 3/4- 7/8 bar spacing so this cage is similar to the spacing she's been used to for most her life. I'm not going to force her in the new cage so I can't test the spacing yet. When she starts exploring I'll see how far the beaks gets through the openings! If I would have gotten a Nina for a cheekie i fear i would have been banned from this site for bird abuse LOL. Even for my perch potato it's a bit small.

I love the black plastic pans of prevue. They don't stain like the white plastic pans some other cage manufactures have. I haven't had it for long but the plastic isn't the brittle, rigid type to crack. It's just like dog crate pans which I've never had crack. People love to bash the cheap PH F040 cages, but honestly, i think they're quite good for smaller birds.

I think the perfect solution here is to adopt a quaker, caique, pionus, or senegal LOL

I do love the cage gold "bling" and retro food and water bowl design!

@iamwhoiam is your bare eye (??) in a mediana?...I'm many months away from any decision as of yet but we have a rather lonely BE2 I keep hoping gets adopted, but unfortunately has developed a reputation at the shelter as a biter....

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I would be careful with 3/4 & esp 7/8 for a GCC.
Yours must have a big head.

Loro is 1/2 in but its over $400 now

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
yes, That's why I got her a 1/2" spaced cage. I'm just testing out the 3/4" chiquita. Since she was fine for years in 7/8 inch should be fine. But right now its supervised time only.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ecogirl2206 No my Bare-eyed is in an Inglebrook Forges cage but my Goffin's is in a Mediana dometop. Wanted to get my b-e a Mediana but I am afraid the new cage will stress her out and scare her and she will have a seizure. She hasn't had one for about a year and I am ultra careful with her. She gets stressed out over things that I wouldn't think would bother her. I moved her cage so she would be closer to the Goffin's and she seizured. Was walking around with her one day and something scared her and she seizured. I think a cage change would definitely freak her out.

Did you call Midwest?

Was told cages would be here in the AM but nothing when I left the house at about 12:15 to go to class. Came home and still no cages. Checked tracking and still out for delivery. Fedex Home usually arrives in the AM so it's strange but maybe they put them in the back of the truck so they wouldn't block others packages and they will be dropped off when the driver is on his way back to the station.

Last edited:

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
Nope will tomorrow.

Good to know. I've read 30x40 min cage size for small toos but I know many at shelter are kept in much smaller. interesting to learn what sizes have worked for others to keep their toos healthy and happy.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Mediana is 34"L x 24"W x 40"H. I don't have room for anything larger. I almost bought a Grande which was on sale for $599 but realized that it wouldn't fit well. My BFA and YNA also have Medianas but play tops.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Mediana is 7/8. I still would be careful with the 3/4 in bar space Chiquita & a green cheek conure.

I wish the Chiquita was 5/8. Hard to find good quality larger cages with smaller bar space other than the lighter flight cages with plastic trays & no feed doors.