• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Permits for all wild animals, (Even Parrots)?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
[QUOTE="Mizzely, post: 2862858, member: 4252

"One of the most tolerant, patient, gentle breed of dogs is now being portrayed as the most dangerous. Because of this bad reputation, at least 6,000 pit bulls are put to death every day, by far the highest number of any other breed. Before the pit bulls were being notarized as the most aggressive dog breed, it was the Rottweiler, before that, it was the Doberman and the German Shepherd. Each time, people wanted to enforce laws to ban these dogs. Each time, this notoriety was proven wrong. It’s the same with the American Pit Bull.

In temperance tests, given by the American Temperance Test Society, the pit bull rated as the second MOST TOLERANT. The most tolerant dog breed was the Golden Retriever. The least tolerant was the Chihuahua. It has been said that the pit bull’s jaws will lock on and won't turn loose. It has also been stated that they have the most powerful bite among dog breeds. Neither one of these statements are true. Pit Bull’s jaws do not lock and the dog with the most powerful bite is actually proven to be the Rottweiler."

I have met many, many pitbulls and never been bitten by one. They are some of the sweetest dogs ever. If I were in the market for a dog, pit bull would be on my short list because they ARE so good with children.

Pitbulls Were Once Known as “Nanny Dogs.” What Happened? | PetHelpful
[/QUOTE]

They want all of that for a skunk? Those animals are not any bigger than a bread box.

As I have said if a cretin gets a hold of any dog they can quickly turn it into a monster. The temperance test you quoted is interesting. I had Collies growing up and they rated 3rd on the list of dogs that are more incline to bite. Imagine, 'Lassie', being more vicious than a Pit Bull.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
to be honest, i do wish exotic pets had some type of permit and that there were laws/fines that were more aggressively enforced related to releasing exotic animals out in the wild.

i work at a pet store and i regularly deny sales to people who are uneducated. most of the time people listen to my advice and do more research, but if they know nothing and don’t intend on attempting to learn about the creatures they’re purchasing, i will deny the sale. i’m tired of being brought dead animals that would’ve lived if more effort was put into learning about them.

OMG, that's horrible. I never realized what pet store employees had to go through.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Sure there are good pitbulls & they don't get the publicity. Still the statistics do seem to advise caution.

All Dog Bite Statistics

Really don't want to make it a pitbull issue but it all has to do with the breeding bloodline. Just alot of backyard breeders breeding pitbulls from dogs with bad temperment.
You can get bad german shepherds too. A german shepherd & rottweiller can do alot of damage too as well as all large working dogs that are bred for guarding.

I've had alot of german shepherds & they were great dogs with the family & would just sit & have there tails & ears pulled. Still they would bite someone who walked inside the gate without an invitation.
I have always wanted a German Shepherd since as far back as I can remember but my dad wouldn't let me have one because he thought they were dangerous. I don't agree with him on that. But one thing I have noticed about Shepherds, is that their temperament does seem to change after two years of age when they really become a one person dog.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I think ownership permits are a good thing. I wouldn't hesitate to get permits for my birds if they were necessary, even if I had to attend a class.

I also wish that more schools would offer animal care/husbandry classes. I think teaching children responsibility and empathy early on would help reduce a lot of the cruelty and ignorance that is so prevalent.

I hate to say it but the more work you make for somebody who wants to obtain a certain pet, the more serious of a pet owner you will get.

The second part I couldn't agree more with. The Humane Society issued a statement not too long ago that they are shocked at how cruel today's children have become towards animals.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Pitbulls have a special kind of jaw that locks on, which doesn't help their reputation. Helen Keller had a pit bull. They are good dogs if owned by good people. Too many times a monster gets a hold of that dog. Is the dog approachable? Maybe you can ask the owner if you can pet his dog? That way you and the dog can get to know one another.
I believe Michigan or Detroit area (?) has an automatic euthanasia policy in place for any pitbulls found/rescued/seized due to a history of dogfighting in that state/area. Sad because some are puppies and others have been used as "bait" in training.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
But cats would also fall into the wild section of life too. Most cats I've known/had still tried hunting and climbing trees. And the really feral cats couldn't care less about humans other than to avoid them. Granted, just like our fids, some are used to living inside only.

The house cat has been domesticated for four thousand years so it no longer considered a wild/exotic animal. Now there are some jerks who dump their cat, the cat has kittens who have no interaction with humans, and you have got feral cats.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I believe Michigan or Detroit area (?) has an automatic euthanasia policy in place for any pitbulls found/rescued/seized due to a history of dogfighting in that state/area. Sad because some are puppies and others have been used as "bait" in training.
I am sorry to hear about that. My state just staged one of the biggest raids on people who used pit bulls for fighting. Over a hundred dogs were confiscated. The Humane Society decided to create a rehabilitation program for the dogs using money that came from fines imposed upon the owners. Only one dog had to be euthanatized because of uncontrollable aggression. The rest were adopted out.

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
The second part I couldn't agree more with. The Humane Society issued a statement not too long ago that they are shocked at how cruel today's children have become towards animals.
That's because parents think its cute and funny when kids are rough with animals and like to record it. I've seen a couple of videos posted on facebook bird forums of children squeezing birds or smacking on them and it gives me a anxiety attack. Its not funny or cute with any animal. When I was 6 I pulled my dogs tail playing around and my father slap me upside the head. I learn real quick it wasn't ok. Not saying people should discipline their kids in this manner but definitely need to learn right/ wrong better.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

Oh heck no. They are not domesticated. They are "broken" because we broke them. They don't belong in the wild or in our homes because they can't survive in the wild and our homes are the furthest thing from natural.
I'm curious as to how I "broke" mine since only one was actually wild. Daisy would've died if someone hadn't found her and saved her but that would've been the "law of the jungle" wouldn't it? The strong survive and the others don't.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
That's because parents think its cute and funny when kids are rough with animals and like to record it. I've seen a couple of videos posted on facebook bird forums of children squeezing birds or smacking on them and it gives me a anxiety attack. Its not funny or cute with any animal. When I was 6 I pulled my dogs tail playing around and my father slap me upside the head. I learn real quick it wasn't ok. Not saying people should discipline their kids in this manner but definitely need to learn right/ wrong better.
OMG! Well we'll being hearing about those same kids ten years from now, probably when they murder somebody as they are being taught to be little sociopaths.

I hear you, my parents didn't play that game either. I did the same thing you did when I was five. We had this black cat named 'John Trouble' and I wanted him to come over to me. Let's face it, the cat couldn't stand me, or any kid for that matter. So I pulled his tail,..hard, and he took a chunk out of my thumb. I cried, my mother sympathized and bandaged me up, but she didn't side with me.

And with something as delicate as a bird, I can't even imagine somebody roughhousing it. Children can be too rough and that is why they need to be supervised when handling an animal.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm curious as to how I "broke" mine since only one was actually wild. Daisy would've died if someone hadn't found her and saved her but that would've been the "law of the jungle" wouldn't it? The strong survive and the others don't.
Any bird that is not born in the wild or taken from the wild is broken (in numerous ways).

Sylvester

Hit the Road
My grandparents' neighbours had dachshunds which were perfectly wonderful while you were in the house with the family. BUT once you left the house and started walking down the drive to leave, they'd snap at your heels. It got to the point where one of the owners would have to walk us down to the gate. I don't care for small yappy dogs, growing up our smallest dog was an English cocker spaniel.

As for the "parrot" part of the law, what is the definition of wild? Of my entire flock, only one bird could be considered originally "wild".

Quaker Daisy was found by a good Samaritan as a feral chick in downtown Chicago with a broken wing and an injured leg which were never treated. I adopted her over 7 years ago. She (and her female Quaker cage mate Loofa) are not necessarily hand friendly but neither would survive in the wild.

It depends on the type of bird, but most parrots have only been domesticated for a few generations as oppose to dogs who have ten thousand years of domestication under their belts.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
OMG, that's horrible. I never realized what pet store employees had to go through.
Can't remember the name of the member, but he/she worked at a pet store. The store sold a young weaned macaw to some idiot who took it home and had it caged outside. The stupid heck**r apparently didn't realize that macaws are tropical and left the young bird outside in 30 degree weather to die. Took it back to the store in a box and our AA member was horrified and in tears. I believe this same idiot had stated that he wanted to buy the other young macaw the store had but was denied after the AA member told the store owner what had happened to the first one.

I visit a local PetCo to see what birds are there - the employees (and manager) are clueless about what birds they have. Last time they had 2 gccs - one normal and one cinny - the had the normal one marked as "fancy" @ $449 and the cinny marked as "regular" @ $349. If I'd had the money I would've been tempted to buy the "normal" and fight them on the pricing. I put chewable toy parts into the gccs areas so they have paper strips or straw to chew and play with.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Any bird that is not born in the wild or taken from the wild is broken (in numerous ways).
How? Don't mean to start any type of fight and you know (by now) you can treat me like an idiot ... and I'll still ask and argue.

NB: I don't have anything larger than a sun.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Can't remember the name of the member, but he/she worked at a pet store. The store sold a young weaned macaw to some idiot who took it home and had it caged outside. The stupid heck**r apparently didn't realize that macaws are tropical and left the young bird outside in 30 degree weather to die. Took it back to the store in a box and our AA member was horrified and in tears. I believe this same idiot had stated that he wanted to buy the other young macaw the store had but was denied after the AA member told the store owner what had happened to the first one.

I visit a local PetCo to see what birds are there - the employees (and manager) are clueless about what birds they have. Last time they had 2 gccs - one normal and one cinny - the had the normal one marked as "fancy" @ $449 and the cinny marked as "regular" @ $349. If I'd had the money I would've been tempted to buy the "normal" and fight them on the pricing. I put chewable toy parts into the gccs areas so they have paper strips or straw to chew and play with.
Oh, Petco, and PetSmart are the worst offenders. I trust privately own pet shops over those two chains.

I am so sorry to hear about the Macaw. Unless it's a Penguin why would anyone leave a bird out in freezing temps? He had his nerve asking for the second one. I would have to ashamed to even show my face again at that store.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
How? Don't mean to start any type of fight and you know (by now) you can treat me like an idiot ... and I'll still ask and argue.

NB: I don't have anything larger than a sun.
I think he is mostly referring to Cockatoos. This second generation of Cockatoos are really mentally screwed up. People have hugged them, babied them, and have treated them like little white fluffy puppies to the point that these poor birds don't even realize that they ARE birds.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I think he is mostly referring to Cockatoos. This second generation of Cockatoos are really mentally screwed up. People have hugged them, babied them, and have treated them like little white fluffy puppies to the point that these poor birds don't even realize that they ARE birds.
Some Dogs have gone through something similar its called "little dog syndrome" or something where the dog thinks it's human and becomes rather aggressive. (The famous handbag dogs that never touch the floor).

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Oh, Petco, and PetSmart are the worst offenders. I trust privately own pet shops over those two chains.
It really just depends on the store and training which a lot lack.

I got a ferret from a private pet store and the only reason I bought him is because he was literally skin and bones and infested with fleas. My mother mentiin I was worked at Petsmart and he went on a 10min long rant about why the place suck. The whole time I was thinking "right we don't know how to care for animals but look at this poor creature".

My Petco manager had birds she rescued and was super informative about birds to the point of denying sales to people she consider unfit. Infact she was like that with all animals at the store even fish! Lol

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Some Dogs have gone through something similar its called "little dog syndrome" or something where the dog thinks it's human and becomes rather aggressive. (The famous handbag dogs that never touch the floor).
Yes, and that annoys me as well. It's like the dog become an accessory. Who was it, Paris Hilton, who was always doing that?

I don't blame them for becoming aggressive. Dogs are meant to run around, play, and just be dogs.