• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Permits for all wild animals, (Even Parrots)?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Sylvester

Hit the Road

That bill is about making it so that cities and counties are not allowed to place bans on dog breeds, pitibulls included. There were a lot of cities where you weren't allowed to own a pitbull or other "bully breeds".

And you can be susceptible to higher home insurance, which is total BS.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I use to live in PA myself, and yes, as I remember that state had some lax laws.

People get by with things left and right. Seeing somebody walking a tiger gets attention, owning a parrot, not so much.
Talk to @cassiesdad about the "owning parrots" part - he's been invaded by PA authorities.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Talk to @cassiesdad about the "owning parrots" part - he's been invaded by PA authorities.
I will, but unless somebody saw him with the parrot I can't believe he got invaded. I mean, who would care. So glad to know that the PA authorities have so much time on their hands.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I skimmed some parts so sorry if I’m repeating, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I owned a pit bull who was a bait dog in dog fighting. He was rescued severely underweight and wounded and from a known fight house.
When he came into my home he loved the cats and loved kids even more. He was a gentle big guy and every time we’d take him to the park the neighborhood kids would run over to give him hugs. I understand some people feel nervous with a “pit bull” around but education goes a long way. He sadly passed away a few years ago due to natural causes, but he is forever the best boy :dog2:. That being said classes for dog owners, parrot owners, whatever may be a good idea.
The problem then though is who runs these classes and permit boards? There’s so much misinformation out there that it’d be hard to get a better standard in place, across the board. Look at child protective services. They’re a mess and they’re the only standard for protecting abused kids. In my state I see so many bad outcomes due to human error in judgement.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
PA is weird with animals, probably because we are a commonwealth, not a state. They keep trying to make different types of parrots illegal but it keeps not passing. Hedgehogs, sugar gliders, degus are all illegal but I can own a fox, a skunk, an alligator, or anything venomous without so much as a second thought. When they made hedgies, gliders and degus illegal they went into local stores that sold them and euthanized them on the spot, didn't even try to find somewhere to put them in another state. Quakers are also illegal and anything that gets an endangered status so we have to always watch if any of the parrots get that status because they typically don't grandfather anything in.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I skimmed some parts so sorry if I’m repeating, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I owned a pit bull who was a bait dog in dog fighting. He was rescued severely underweight and wounded and from a known fight house.
When he came into my home he loved the cats and loved kids even more. He was a gentle big guy and every time we’d take him to the park the neighborhood kids would run over to give him hugs. I understand some people feel nervous with a “pit bull” around but education goes a long way. He sadly passed away a few years ago due to natural causes, but he is forever the best boy :dog2:. That being said classes for dog owners, parrot owners, whatever may be a good idea.
The problem then though is who runs these classes and permit boards? There’s so much misinformation out there that it’d be hard to get a better standard in place, across the board. Look at child protective services. They’re a mess and they’re the only standard for protecting abused kids. In my state I see so many bad outcomes due to human error in judgement.

You bring up some really good points. Giving bad information could lead to somebody getting hurt or the death of the animal. Child Protective Services is usually understaffed with their employees underpaid. And I agree, it is a mess resulting in too many children falling through the cracks.

I am so glad you gave that loving doggie of yours a second chance in life. It sounds like he had a happy ending to a story that did not start out well. I know he left a big impact on you and everyone who knew him.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
PA is weird with animals, probably because we are a commonwealth, not a state. They keep trying to make different types of parrots illegal but it keeps not passing. Hedgehogs, sugar gliders, degus are all illegal but I can own a fox, a skunk, an alligator, or anything venomous without so much as a second thought. When they made hedgies, gliders and degus illegal they went into local stores that sold them and euthanized them on the spot, didn't even try to find somewhere to put them in another state. Quakers are also illegal and anything that gets an endangered status so we have to always watch if any of the parrots get that status because they typically don't grandfather anything in.
Wow, is all I can say. I can not believe that they euthanized those animals. I imagine that animals welfare groups were up in arms. Euthanizing healthy animals is such a cop out. And I don't understand the logic, (if there is any) behind what animals can be pets and what animals can't.

I have heard about the Quakers, I know farmers consider them a pest.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Wow, is all I can say. I can not believe that they euthanized those animals. I imagine that animals welfare groups were up in arms. Euthanizing healthy animals is such a cop out. And I don't understand the logic, (if there is any) behind what animals can be pets and what animals can't.

I have heard about the Quakers, I know farmers consider them a pest.
I don't get it either, and they were but nothing could be done about it. PA likes to keep you in a loop of applying for permits and sending you off to talk to someone else when it comes to exotic animals. Hedgehogs I know were made illegal because they were worried about African mites that are dangerous to dogs and cats, but, they hadn't been in the country in years since all hedgehogs were bred not imported. We use to own them, and it honestly makes me a little nuts I can't have one now, but can go to a local reptile fair and buy a cobra, copperhead, dangerous scorpions, etc. We just had someone try to get it passed that the three species I mentioned would be legal again and it got voted down also.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Smaller snakes shouldn't require a permit but the larger ones definitely should require permits and classes to own them. People often get over their heads and release them after they get to big which is very sad :(
I agree as has been mentioned South Florida has been inundated with pythons being released into the wild and breeding prolifically. A male can mate with 8-12 females in a breeding season each having and average cluch of 6 eggs each. Males can reach sexual maturity in as little as 6 months and femaile in 18 months. Soyoucan see why this issuch a problem down here wreaking havoc on our native species and evvitonment. Don't even get me started on the release of eguanas and other lizzards. Pet owners need to be held accountable and responsible!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I agree as has been mentioned South Florida has been inundated with pythons being released into the wild and breeding prolifically. A male can mate with 8-12 females in a breeding season each having and average cluch of 6 eggs each. Males can reach sexual maturity in as little as 6 months and femaile in 18 months. Soyoucan see why this issuch a problem down here wreaking havoc on our native species and evvitonment. Don't even get me started on the release of eguanas and other lizzards. Pet owners need to be held accountable and responsible!

Thank you for that information. Had no idea that snakes were such prolific breeders.

First of all, who would even want one? And secondly, why is the selling of such a potentially dangerous animal being allowed? If I had to be cornered by one of these or a tiger, I would take my chances with the tiger. These things look absolutely soulless.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
And you can be susceptible to higher home insurance, which is total BS.

Yep, my friend has a german shepherd mix and has to pay higher insurance premiums!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I don't get it either, and they were but nothing could be done about it. PA likes to keep you in a loop of applying for permits and sending you off to talk to someone else when it comes to exotic animals. Hedgehogs I know were made illegal because they were worried about African mites that are dangerous to dogs and cats, but, they hadn't been in the country in years since all hedgehogs were bred not imported.

So PA is not keeping up with the times? Sounds like when it comes to animals Pennyslvania is running neck to neck with my state, only PA is prettier. One of the prettiest around. But the animals that could kill a person are allowed. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So even a mix got them higher insurance?! That's more than a little scary.

Yep, the dog is part lab, part shepherd. He probably could have lied but then that put him at risk of losing it if they found out so he opted on the side of safety

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Yep, the dog is part lab, part shepherd. He probably could have lied but then that put him at risk of losing it if they found out so he opted on the side of safety

He should have, how would they ever know?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I will, but unless somebody saw him with the parrot I can't believe he got invaded. I mean, who would care. So glad to know that the PA authorities have so much time on their hands.
One word = Quaker. Someone called in that there was one in the household (there wasn't) - it was an IRN and had to be identified with a book on parrots because the authorities in question couldn't recognize a Quaker if it (very literally) bit them on the you-know-what.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
One word = Quaker. Someone called in that there was one in the household (there wasn't) - it was an IRN and had to be identified with a book on parrots because the authorities in question couldn't recognize a Quaker if it (very literally) bit them on the you-know-what.
Wow, they are really serious when it comes to the Quake.

LOL! It's too bad his bird didn't.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
The house cat has been domesticated for four thousand years so it no longer considered a wild/exotic animal. Now there are some jerks who dump their cat, the cat has kittens who have no interaction with humans, and you have got feral cats.
But even a cat that has been dumped ends up being feral to a certain extent for purely survival reasons. Some dumped cats remember life with a loving human and can be brought back in (we've had 3) but 2 out of the 3 were avid hunters no matter what. The really feral cats don't trust anyone.

When we lived in Argentina, my mum made friends with a feral cat and would put out food and water in the front of the house. When she became pregnant, mum put out a wooden box lined with old towels/cloths and kept feeding her. Mother cat would bring her "presents" like dead or half dead rats and leaving them on the door mat. She was never tame enough to pet and I'm not sure what mum did about the kittens (I was maybe 14-15).

But S. America is different, animals aren't neutered or spayed, it's considered normal to just let them breed and multiply. That was circa 1960s-1970s, but I don't know that very much has changed. Strays were always visible and skeletal.