• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Permits for all wild animals, (Even Parrots)?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel

If the product isn't profitable, the real response should be to not sell that product (live animals). Not to make it so that the animal suffers :(

I've visited a lot of pet stores that don't sell animals at all, or only house rescues. I'd love for this to become the norm, but unfortunately there are people who see animals as a means to an end - as a product to sell. I doubt that will ever change.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Actually labs and chihuahuas have the highest bite rating I believe. Its just easier to make pitties (use to be called The Nanny Dogs ^-^) the bad guy. Annnnd let me add that I don't care how small chihuahuas or any other small puppers teeth is! A bite is a bite! My first dog bite that sent me to the hospital was from a freaking toy poodle -_-
My grandparents' neighbours had dachshunds which were perfectly wonderful while you were in the house with the family. BUT once you left the house and started walking down the drive to leave, they'd snap at your heels. It got to the point where one of the owners would have to walk us down to the gate. I don't care for small yappy dogs, growing up our smallest dog was an English cocker spaniel.

As for the "parrot" part of the law, what is the definition of wild? Of my entire flock, only one bird could be considered originally "wild".

Quaker Daisy was found by a good Samaritan as a feral chick in downtown Chicago with a broken wing and an injured leg which were never treated. I adopted her over 7 years ago. She (and her female Quaker cage mate Loofa) are not necessarily hand friendly but neither would survive in the wild.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know for Michigan, with my example of the skunk, you can only keep animals that have been bred and born into captivity; you can't take from the wild. However it is stil considered a wild animal. I imagine it would count for any animal that is not domesticated.

Parrots are not domestic animals.

In my household, my leopard gecko and bird would be considered wild.

My cats and rats would be domesticated.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I know for Michigan, with my example of the skunk, you can only keep animals that have been bred and born into captivity; you can't take from the wild. However it is stil considered a wild animal. I imagine it would count for any animal that is not domesticated.

Parrots are not domestic animals.

In my household, my leopard gecko and bird would be considered wild.

My cats and rats would be domesticated.
Parrots may not be considered domesticated but many of our fids don't fall into the real description of "wild" either. How many of our fids on AA would really survive in the wild? Consider all the ones that are handicapped or are ill and are being treated? And, when it comes to cats, they do have a mind of their own just like our birds. If they don't think it has to be done, it "ain't gonna happen".

domestic animal. Word Origin. an animal, as the horse or cat, that has been tamed and kept by humans as a work animal, food source, or pet, especially a member of those species that have, through selective breeding, become notably different from their wild ancestors.

That description alone would cover parrots.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Parrots may not be considered domesticated but many of our fids don't fall into the real description of "wild" either. How many of our fids on AA would really survive in the wild? Consider all the ones that are handicapped or are ill and are being treated? And, when it comes to cats, they do have a mind of their own just like our birds. If they don't think it has to be done, it "ain't gonna happen".

domestic animal. Word Origin. an animal, as the horse or cat, that has been tamed and kept by humans as a work animal, food source, or pet, especially a member of those species that have, through selective breeding, become notably different from their wild ancestors.

Wild doesn't mean capable of living in the wild. It just basically means not domestic.

"become notably different from their wild ancestors"

Parrots are not. They are very similar in behavior and genetics to their wild living counterparts.

Dogs are a domesticated version of wolves.

Cows are a domesticated version of Aurochs.

Chickens are a domesticated version of junglefowl.

These were all wild animals that we selectively made different for the benefit of ourselves. They are now genetically separate from their wild counterparts. Our parrots are exactly the same as the ones in their native habitat.

A tiger that is raised in captivity as a pet would also have a hard time going back to the wild and surviving. That isn't because they are domesticated. They are still a wild animal, they are just lacking the survival skills needed. Instinct can't do everything.

Last edited:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Some parrots are considered "semi-domesticated" - these include budgies, ringnecks, cockatoos, lovebirds, african greys, and eclectus. I think it would be fair that most parrots would be on this list if it were to be comprehensive.

Semi-domesticated is defined as "at least somewhat altered from wild animals by their extensive interactions with humans. Many could not be released into the wild, or are in some way dependent on humans."

Also on the list are species like cheetahs, servals, and caracals, for the same reason as the parrots - "held/tame in captivity".

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Some parrots are considered "semi-domesticated" - these include budgies, ringnecks, cockatoos, lovebirds, african greys, and eclectus. I think it would be fair that most parrots would be on this list if it were to be comprehensive.
Would parrots with different mutations count as semi-domestic due to differing visually from their wild counterparts then?
Just curious :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If we had to have permits or registration for every animal in our homes (regardless of type) then I think less people would be acquiring too many animals for them to look after well and those who are not serious about looking after them properly would likely be deterred from bringing home a spare of the moment type pet.
I am all for the laws and regulations on animal ownership and care being tougher in every country, people should be held accountable for mistreatment, negligence and releasing of the pets/animals they are supposed to be responsible for.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If we had to have permits or registration for every animal in our homes (regardless of type) then I think less people would be acquiring too many animals for them to look after well and those who are not serious about looking after them properly would likely be deterred from bringing home a spare of the moment type pet.
I am all for the laws and regulations on animal ownership and care being tougher in every country, people should be held accountable for mistreatment, negligence and releasing of the pets/animals they are supposed to be responsible for.

Well said!

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
My parrots are acclimated to air conditioning. I live where temps hit 101F-103F (38.3C-39.4C) daily in the summer.

If they go outdoors, even for 3 minutes, they begin panting.

They wouldn't survive outdoors, so not completely wild.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Oh heck no. They are not domesticated. They are "broken" because we broke them. They don't belong in the wild or in our homes because they can't survive in the wild and our homes are the furthest thing from natural.

Would parrots with different mutations count as semi-domestic due to differing visually from their wild counterparts then?

No. Physical mutations can be bred into very easily and quickly. Doesn't have much of anything to do with domestication.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel

Not really. Tigers have colour mutations largely due to selective breeding by humans, but I don't think anyone would consider those cats to be semi-domesticated.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Wild doesn't mean capable of living in the wild. It just basically means not domestic.

"become notably different from their wild ancestors"

Parrots are not. They are very similar in behavior and genetics to their wild living counterparts.

Dogs are a domesticated version of wolves.

Cows are a domesticated version of Aurochs.

Chickens are a domesticated version of junglefowl.

These were all wild animals that we selectively made different for the benefit of ourselves. They are now genetically separate from their wild counterparts. Our parrots are exactly the same as the ones in their native habitat.

A tiger that is raised in captivity as a pet would also have a hard time going back to the wild and surviving. That isn't because they are domesticated. They are still a wild animal, they are just lacking the survival skills needed. Instinct can't do everything.
The description also includes the words "or pet" and most of ours would be considered as such.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

The description also includes the words "or pet" and most of ours would be considered as such.

But then a pet tiger also would be domesticated, which isn't correct either

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

But then a pet tiger also would be domesticated, which isn't correct either
But cats would also fall into the wild section of life too. Most cats I've known/had still tried hunting and climbing trees. And the really feral cats couldn't care less about humans other than to avoid them. Granted, just like our fids, some are used to living inside only.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Sounds like your state is forward thinking. As more should be. :)

John, Missouri comes in dead last when it comes to the welfare of animals. We are still the puppy mill state. We voted four years ago on a measure that would limit breeders to fifty dogs, and it barely passed, but the people at the state senate overturned it.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Well think there is a rule 3 attacks by a dog who bites & they can be euthanized. Still most people/children bitten by the fierce toy dogs are not seriously maimed or killed but I suppose mental trauma is mental trauma & best to not get bit at all. Still people have dogs & if they let them close enough to others there can be problems.

I still would rather get bit by a Chihuahua than a pit bull.

Sorry to pick on the pitbull but I have an issue with one now. I live in a building with a no dog policy which is fine with me as I don't have to hear the barking & step in poo. I'm quite sensitive to the pitbull drama as my new neighbors boyfriend has a pitbull & he submitted ESA paperwork so he is entitled to an ESA animal & we have to allow him to visit with his dog even though the building has a no dog policy even as a visitor! We have small children who run & play in the courtyard.

They have beat pitbulls over the head with a sticks & shovels & they still will not let go of its prey.
I really don;t think I should have to be forced to have one walk past me while I'm getting my mail or entering or leaving
my apartment & they are not even the tenants dog but the law requires that we have to cater to a tenants guest who has a disability & make them feel at home when they visit which would include their ESA animal. ESA animals don't have to have any special training or qualifications. They consider a pet monkey, pig, duck, a whole lists on animals many of which are less dangerous than a pitbull. So maybe even tiger can be considered a ESA animal? Where does it end?

We can't do anything until the dog injures someone or is proven dangerous...yes the disabled have more rights now...
Pitbulls have a special kind of jaw that locks on, which doesn't help their reputation. Helen Keller had a pit bull. They are good dogs if owned by good people. Too many times a monster gets a hold of that dog. Is the dog approachable? Maybe you can ask the owner if you can pet his dog? That way you and the dog can get to know one another.