• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Permits for all wild animals, (Even Parrots)?

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Florida is full of invasive species, not just snakes that are destroying the native flaura and fauna. We have lion fish that are destroying the populations of native ocean fish. There was an article in the paper today that there was a fishing derby in Ft. Lauderdale held to catch lion fish. They caught 550 fish, from spearfishing. Apparently they are good eating. Again it is the fault of humans as these fish were aquarium fish dumped into the ocean when the people were tired of them. They have been seen far north in the ocean so they are adaptable. Same as the pythons. Nice as babies but when they get to be 10 ft. long and are no longer handable in a home environment, they are dumped. People complain about all the iguanas. There are plenty of other lizards species also. Iquanas are vegetarians so mainly destroy landscaping but again are not native and were released by humans. We have countless Quaker parrots. Most people don't complain about them but they like to nest in the elecrical transformers on top of the poles and can cause power outages so the FPL people like to destroy the nests. They don't do that so much anymore as FPL has put deterants in place. Eqyptian geese, who knows where they came from. Then we have invasive plants, insects, it is endless. All caused by human activity.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Wow, I had no idea that there were that many invasive species down in Florida. It boggles the mind but at the same time makes sense since that is such a warm, wet, state.

It is always the fault of humans. We are the ones responsible for feral cats, wolf dog hybrids, pet baby alligators, etc being dumped on an unsuspecting environment.

I have never seen the appeal of snakes. They are an attractive animal, and I would never hurt one, but I fail to see the allure. It's not like they even recognize their owners, they are not going to wag their tail or start purring.

Iguanas are cute and I had one as a child, real playful when they are babies.

Our species is reckless.