• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Permits for all wild animals, (Even Parrots)?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
My state has recently passed a law that makes it mandatory to obtain a permit for owning a wild animal. Before this residents of my state could own lions, tigers, bears, (oh my). The person must take classes on being a responsible owner, have the right facility, and pay over a chunk of money.

I have always thought, personally, that snake owners should be made to obtain a permit.

But what do you think?

Do you think all wild animals warrant this step?

How about parrots? Gotcha.

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I think you should have to get a permit and take classes for certain animals. Did you ever watch Fatal Attraction Animals? It was about people who ended up injured or killed by the wild animals they kept. Very good series btw! My best friends boyfriend is rehabbing raccoons right now and everyone we know is in awe and wants one as a pet. She said she wishes she did more research on them as she wasn't prepare for the level of destruction they unleash on her house. She said bf would have had to find another place to care for them had she known. I think people are often atractted to the "wild" and "exotic" aspect (or in her cause awwwww cute baby fluffers who can do no harm) then the fact that these animals need a lot of care. At least wit a permit and courses people might be better prepared then just an impulse buy.

Smaller snakes shouldn't require a permit but the larger ones definitely should require permits and classes to own them. People often get over their heads and release them after they get to big which is very sad :(

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Regarding the snakes, it is very sad. Florida is full of pythons because of irresponsible people. Just last year in my hometown a teenager placed his 21 foot python in a public park because he thought it was dead. A couple came across it while jogging, and it was very much alive. Now what if a dog, cat, or God forbid, a small child had happened upon the reptile?

That is so nice that your friend is helping those raccoons. My brother acquired a baby raccoon when he was in his teens. He traded his mini bike for it. And your best friend is right, they are a handful.

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I didn't pay attention to the parrot part! I would be all for classes that teach proper housing and need requirements especially for larger parrots. Kinda like a lot of rescues do before adopting!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Whats wild? Bred in captivity may not be considered wild. So are parrots wild?

I agree a neighbor keeping tigers & bears should file some plans on how they will be kept & the safety precaution & of course they have to be zoned to keep such animals. Can't really tame birds either but most of them can't kill & eat you or seriously maim you. Large birds can cause servere injury though! What about pit bulls? They are responsible for something like 50% of the injuries from dogs. They are not "wild".

Depends on the area etc even chickens are not allowed...they are not wild...just safety & health concerns.

They don't allow these exotic animals on normal home properties unless they are a few acres or zoned farm etc.

We live in an imperfect world with imperfect people some of which are not fit to have animals or even raise a child
but have the right to do so!

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I didn't pay attention to the parrot part! I would be all for classes that teach proper housing and need requirements especially for larger parrots. Kinda like a lot of rescues do before adopting!
LOL! That is the part I was hoping would stand out, since this is a parrot forum. :)

I couldn't agree more. I bought a male U2 last summer and I love him, but if I knew then, what I know now, I doubt I would have gotten him.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Whats wild? Bred in captivity may not be considered wild. So are parrots wild?

I agree a neighbor keeping tigers & bears should file some plans on how they will be kept & the safety precaution & of course they have to be zoned to keep such animals. Can't really tame birds either but most of them can't kill & eat you or seriously maim you. Large birds can cause servere injury though! What about pit bulls? They are responsible for something like 50% of the injuries from dogs. They are not "wild".

Depends on the area etc even chickens are not allowed...they are not wild...just safety & health concerns.

They don't allow these exotic animals on normal home properties unless they are a few acres or zoned farm etc.

There are such inconsistent rules. I still think they should mandate childcare certification or at least a mandatory class if you have a child. Seems anyone can have them & don;t think they don't upset the neighbors who have to live next door to a playground with screaming & ball playing all day. We all have rights. The right to annoy our neighbors by imposing our activities on them & then again asking us to restrict our activity.

Now I see alot of "mothers" sueing Child protective services for taking a child that was deemed in danger. They make it sound like the agency likes to do this for profit & without just cause. Gosh darn what about the ones that slipped through the loopholes that died from beating injuries or locked in closets as mommy had a headache! where do you draw the line on protecting a child when there is strong evidence that they are in danger? Do you wait til its too late?

Animals have no rights. No punishment system in affect for cruelty & abandonment. Can't leave a kid chained to a pole with no water in the blazing sun. There are now no risk rules that say you can break a car window to rescue a dog unattended inside a hot closed car. What do they do if your pet dies from negligence??? Not much!

Don't get me started...we live in a less than fair or optimal society but still we have it much better than many other countries.

The housing laws have finally made it OK for landlords to prohibit smoking in apartments. Its been known smoking causes severe health risks for decades yet we have had to deal with it at college lecture halls, dorms, the workplace, restaurants, movies & even through the walls & windows of our own homes for FAR too long!

Its just not right when one persons rights imposes on others health, safety & mental well being!

The disabled have rights but what about the rest of us trying to get along????

We live in an imperfect world with imperfect people some of which are not fit to have animals or even raise a child
but have the right to do so!

Parrots can maim and disfigure people. I don't know where I stand on permits for the large ones.

In my state before last year all one had to do is go to an auction to obtain tigers or lions, even if you lived in an apartment. So damn unfair to the animal. We have some knucklehead to the south of us that has a tiger chained up at his gas station. The poor creature paces back and forth in a large dog kennel as the guy charges two dollars a person for a viewing.

No, not even the police will break a car window to rescue an animal.

Couldn't agree more on the subject of raising a child. I have always said there should be a test for someone wanting to become a parent.

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Regarding the snakes, it is very sad. Florida is full of pythons because of irresponsible people. Just last year in my hometown a teenager placed his 21 foot python in a public park because he thought it was dead. A couple came across it while jogging, and it was very much alive. Now what if a dog, cat, or God forbid, a small child had happened
I hear snakes and crocodilians are often responsible for dog and cat disappearances in Florida. If you are caught releaseing a animal in the wild you once owned, there should be a fine.

What about pit bulls? They are responsible for something like 50% of the injuries from dogs. They are not "wild".
Actually labs and chihuahuas have the highest bite rating I believe. Its just easier to make pitties (use to be called The Nanny Dogs ^-^) the bad guy. Annnnd let me add that I don't care how small chihuahuas or any other small puppers teeth is! A bite is a bite! My first dog bite that sent me to the hospital was from a freaking toy poodle -_-

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I hear snakes and crocodilians are often responsible for dog and cat disappearances in Florida. If you are caught releaseing a animal in the wild you once owned, there should be a fine.

Actually labs and chihuahuas have the highest bite rating I believe. Its just easier to make pitties (use to be called The Nanny Dogs ^-^) the bad guy. Annnnd let me add that I don't care how small chihuahuas or any other small puppers teeth is! A bite is a bite! My first dog bite that sent me to the hospital was from a freaking toy poodle -_-

I agree. In this state there is a 200 dollar fine if they catch you dumping a cat or dog. I think it should be more for a dangerous exotic animal. Those snakes, through no fault of their own, are destroying the eco system down there.

Chihuahuas are fierce. A childhood friend of mine use to own one, and that dog gave him fits when he tried to take it back home. It was the only dog my German Shepherd was afraid of. LOL! Those little ones have needle teeth.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sounds like your state is forward thinking. As more should be. :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well think there is a rule 3 attacks by a dog who bites & they can be euthanized. Still most people/children bitten by the fierce toy dogs are not seriously maimed or killed but I suppose mental trauma is mental trauma & best to not get bit at all. Still people have dogs & if they let them close enough to others there can be problems.

I still would rather get bit by a Chihuahua than a pit bull.

Sorry to pick on the pitbull but I have an issue with one now. I live in a building with a no dog policy which is fine with me as I don't have to hear the barking & step in poo. I'm quite sensitive to the pitbull drama as my new neighbors boyfriend has a pitbull & he submitted ESA paperwork so he is entitled to an ESA animal & we have to allow him to visit with his dog even though the building has a no dog policy even as a visitor! We have small children who run & play in the courtyard.

They have beat pitbulls over the head with a sticks & shovels & they still will not let go of its prey.
I really don;t think I should have to be forced to have one walk past me while I'm getting my mail or entering or leaving
my apartment & they are not even the tenants dog but the law requires that we have to cater to a tenants guest who has a disability & make them feel at home when they visit which would include their ESA animal. ESA animals don't have to have any special training or qualifications. They consider a pet monkey, pig, duck, a whole lists on animals many of which are less dangerous than a pitbull. So maybe even tiger can be considered a ESA animal? Where does it end?

We can't do anything until the dog injures someone or is proven dangerous...yes the disabled have more rights now...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In my state, in order to have certain (wild) animals, you have to be able to prove that you have a suitable enclosure, and you have certain laws you have to follow. For instance, I wanted a pet skunk, but in order to do so I had to have at minimum a 8x4x4 enclosure with a denning box of at least 2x2x2, with an additional 16 square feet per additional animal. They also require several logs at least 2 foot by 6 inches thick for enrichment.

Now, I am in favor of that. It means I cannot currently have a skunk. Which sucks because my great aunt had one and I loved it. But if I cannot meet its basic needs, then I shouldn't have one.

Same with parrots.

Well think there is a rule 3 attacks by a dog who bites & they can be euthanized. Still most people/children bitten by the fierce toy dogs are not seriously maimed or killed but I suppose mental trauma is mental trauma & best to not get bit at all. Still people have dogs & if they let them close enough to others there can be problems.

I still would rather get bit by a Chihuahua than a pit bull.

Sorry to pick on the pitbull but I have an issue with one now. I live in a building with a no dog policy which is fine with me as I don't have to hear the barking & step in poo. I'm quite sensitive to the pitbull drama as my new neighbors boyfriend has a pitbull & he submitted ESA paperwork so he is entitled to an ESA animal & we have to allow him to visit with his dog even though the building has a no dog policy even as a visitor! We have small children who run & play in the courtyard.

They have beat pitbulls over the head with a sticks & shovels & they still will not let go of its prey.
I really don;t think I should have to be forced to have one walk past me while I'm getting my mail or entering or leaving my apartment & they are not even the tenants dog but the law requires that we have to cater to a tenants guest who has a disability & make them feel at home when they visit which would include their ESA animal. ESA animals don't have to have any special training or qualifications. They consider a pet monkey, pig, duck, a whole lists on animals many of which are less dangerous than a pitbull. So maybe even tiger can be considered a ESA animal? Where does it end?

We can't do anything until the dog injures someone or is proven dangerous...yes the disabled have more rights now...
"One of the most tolerant, patient, gentle breed of dogs is now being portrayed as the most dangerous. Because of this bad reputation, at least 6,000 pit bulls are put to death every day, by far the highest number of any other breed. Before the pit bulls were being notarized as the most aggressive dog breed, it was the Rottweiler, before that, it was the Doberman and the German Shepherd. Each time, people wanted to enforce laws to ban these dogs. Each time, this notoriety was proven wrong. It’s the same with the American Pit Bull.

In temperance tests, given by the American Temperance Test Society, the pit bull rated as the second MOST TOLERANT. The most tolerant dog breed was the Golden Retriever. The least tolerant was the Chihuahua. It has been said that the pit bull’s jaws will lock on and won't turn loose. It has also been stated that they have the most powerful bite among dog breeds. Neither one of these statements are true. Pit Bull’s jaws do not lock and the dog with the most powerful bite is actually proven to be the Rottweiler."

I have met many, many pitbulls and never been bitten by one. They are some of the sweetest dogs ever. If I were in the market for a dog, pit bull would be on my short list because they ARE so good with children.

Pitbulls Were Once Known as “Nanny Dogs.” What Happened? | PetHelpful

Last edited:

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
to be honest, i do wish exotic pets had some type of permit and that there were laws/fines that were more aggressively enforced related to releasing exotic animals out in the wild.

i work at a pet store and i regularly deny sales to people who are uneducated. most of the time people listen to my advice and do more research, but if they know nothing and don’t intend on attempting to learn about the creatures they’re purchasing, i will deny the sale. i’m tired of being brought dead animals that would’ve lived if more effort was put into learning about them.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sure there are good pitbulls & they don't get the publicity. Still the statistics do seem to advise caution.

All Dog Bite Statistics

Really don't want to make it a pitbull issue but it all has to do with the breeding bloodline. Just alot of backyard breeders breeding pitbulls from dogs with bad temperment.
You can get bad german shepherds too. A german shepherd & rottweiller can do alot of damage too as well as all large working dogs that are bred for guarding.

I've had alot of german shepherds & they were great dogs with the family & would just sit & have there tails & ears pulled. Still they would bite someone who walked inside the gate without an invitation.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I think ownership permits are a good thing. I wouldn't hesitate to get permits for my birds if they were necessary, even if I had to attend a class.

I also wish that more schools would offer animal care/husbandry classes. I think teaching children responsibility and empathy early on would help reduce a lot of the cruelty and ignorance that is so prevalent.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I think ownership permits are a good thing. I wouldn't hesitate to get permits for my birds if they were necessary, even if I had to attend a class.

I also wish that more schools would offer animal care/husbandry classes. I think teaching children responsibility and empathy early on would help reduce a lot of the cruelty and ignorance that is so prevalent.

Not to mention make pet stores give better information :/

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
"One of the most tolerant, patient, gentle breed of dogs is now being portrayed as the most dangerous. Because of this bad reputation, at least 6,000 pit bulls are put to death every day, by far the highest number of any other breed. Before the pit bulls were being notarized as the most aggressive dog breed, it was the Rottweiler, before that, it was the Doberman and the German Shepherd. Each time, people wanted to enforce laws to ban these dogs. Each time, this notoriety was proven wrong. It’s the same with the American Pit Bull.

In temperance tests, given by the American Temperance Test Society, the pit bull rated as the second MOST TOLERANT. The most tolerant dog breed was the Golden Retriever. The least tolerant was the Chihuahua. It has been said that the pit bull’s jaws will lock on and won't turn loose. It has also been stated that they have the most powerful bite among dog breeds. Neither one of these statements are true. Pit Bull’s jaws do not lock and the dog with the most powerful bite is actually proven to be the Rottweiler."

I have met many, many pitbulls and never been bitten by one. They are some of the sweetest dogs ever. If I were in the market for a dog, pit bull would be on my short list because they ARE so good with children.

Pitbulls Were Once Known as “Nanny Dogs.” What Happened? | PetHelpful
I REALLY have to agree. I volunteer at a dog and cat shelter that gets a lot of pit bulls and I have not yet met a pit with a mean bone in it's body. I would trust one around even an infant!

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I REALLY have to agree. I volunteer at a dog and cat shelter that gets a lot of pit bulls and I have not yet met a pit with a mean bone in it's body. I would trust one around even an infant!
I agree! Worked with animals for 11 years I love me a goofy, dorky pittie!

I think the problem with the statistics involving Pitbull biting is any dog that looks like a "pitt" is lump into that number. I have seen labs label as pitt mixes because they had square heads and shorter bodys not to mention other dogs with similar features that do not have pitt DNA in them at all. Definitely not fair as it gives a breed a bad name.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Not to mention make pet stores give better information :/

The problem with pet stores - and I've worked in a couple different ones - is that there's a weird dichotomy between wanting what's best for the animal, and still making the business profitable.

The one that I worked in that was genuinely mindful of the animals eventually went out of business. They gave us books to read up on proper husbandry of the animals we sold, and we also gave these books to people who bought animals from us. Gave. Free of charge.

On the other hand, the sh!thole that would use the sale of animals solely as an opportunity to upsell supplies is still in business. The owner has outdated and flawed ideas on proper animal husbandry, and required that animals be sold with certain items even if they weren't really in the animal's best interest. For example: all birds had to be sold with the House Proprietary Blend (read: bags of food that mice had chewed open) of parrot food, or Kaytee Forti-Diet. Client wanted another food? Nope, gotta buy one of those foods, or you're not buying the animal. It didn't matter that I knew that pellets were a healthier alternative, if I didn't do "my job" then I was out of one. Looking back now I should've left sooner, but when you're struggling to pay rent that's not always an option.

Basically, there are a lot of well-meaning pet stores and employees out there. Unfortunately, their business model isn't always the most lucrative and that's why, perhaps, they're not as common as the alternative.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The problem with pet stores - and I've worked in a couple different ones - is that there's a weird dichotomy between wanting what's best for the animal, and still making the business profitable.

The one that I worked in that was genuinely mindful of the animals eventually went out of business. They gave us books to read up on proper husbandry of the animals we sold, and we also gave these books to people who bought animals from us. Gave. Free of charge.

On the other hand, the sh!thole that would use the sale of animals solely as an opportunity to upsell supplies is still in business. The owner has outdated and flawed ideas on proper animal husbandry, and required that animals be sold with certain items even if they weren't really in the animal's best interest. For example: all birds had to be sold with the House Proprietary Blend (read: bags of food that mice had chewed open) of parrot food, or Kaytee Forti-Diet. Client wanted another food? Nope, gotta buy one of those foods, or you're not buying the animal. It didn't matter that I knew that pellets were a healthier alternative, if I didn't do "my job" then I was out of one. Looking back now I should've left sooner, but when you're struggling to pay rent that's not always an option.

Basically, there are a lot of well-meaning pet stores and employees out there. Unfortunately, their business model isn't always the most lucrative and that's why, perhaps, they're not as common as the alternative.

If the product isn't profitable, the real response should be to not sell that product (live animals). Not to make it so that the animal suffers :(