• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some help with babies

Raminlich

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ramin
Hi guys sorry for late answers i was little busy
Here it's a video of his last feeding : Feed me ( 10 min ago )
Just compare to previous video see how stronger he become :)))
He is gaining strength and weight morning ( 10 hours ago ) he was 37 gram now he is 39.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Please read this well, if you do not understand ask me and I will tell you another way ok. This is all important.

1. You must get closer. When you go closer he will be at an angle so looking more up. Feed him from up, down. I will see if I have a video, if not I will make one.

2. remove the rubber tube, that is for crop feeding, so it is not necesary and is causing the mess. It will give you more control.

3. use two hands. With one hand, gently keep the babies head from wobbling all over the place, don´t grab him, just cradle him so if he pulls back he can ok. With the other hand use the syringe

4. You are feeding very slowly too, you see the baby swallowing but no food going in. It will fill him with air. The problem is the tube is falling out. when you remove plastic tube it will fix this too.

I really wish I was there so I could physically show you.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Please do some reading of these:

How To Hand Feed a baby | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

some more links:
Some helpful links about hand feedin and weaning:) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Maybe my video may help, but remember I made this for me to remember these chicks by not for education so I hope it is clear enough for you to see.

You can see I put the syringe in the birds left side of the beak and point to the right side. This is important. If you sit and look at the baby, when the formula goes down you see it on your left, which is the babies right.

So when you sit to feed the baby, face him, the syringe enters the right (your right), and is pointing left. I hope you understand this. If you are unsure, just ask, I am not sure if I am explaining that well.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's good to see this little one is still thriving. Viewing the video it does look to be pretty behind in growth.

@Zara Thank you for stepping in with questions and your instructions as well as the video.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that he is eating and I agree with Zara that you need to toss that rubber tube and also need to place and direct the syringe correctly as she explained. You need to be sure that the tip of the syringe is entering on the birds' left and pointing towards the back of the bird's right side. You need to direct the food correctly so that you don't aspirate the little one. No need at all for that tube. I used to hold the chicks on my lap putting a towel on my lap and then the chick on top of the towel and would use one hand to support the chick and one to feed him. You can do the same thing on a table but do use two hands.
Speed at which you feed baby depends on how fast that baby is taking food. You don't want to feed too slowly but you don't want to feed too fast either and "pump" too much food in at one time.

Raminlich

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ramin
Please, how often are you offering food? (how many times a day?)
every 3 hours.
also thanks for the video and instructions was clear.
the thing about tube u said i was afraid he bite the tip of syringe too hard and might harm him, but i will try it today.
THANKS.

Raminlich

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ramin
OK....
I did it, it was much easier without tube.
and i have to report that he is now 46 grams ..... he is gaining weight so fast , yesterday was 37.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
i was afraid he bite the tip of syringe too hard and might harm him
I see. No the syringe is plastic so it is ok.

I´m so happy to hear he is gaining weight. These are the weights before eating yes? For example, in the morning, if the bird is 46grams before food and after food he is 54grams, then the bird weighs 46grams

Also, I saw this picture that was already posted in this thread, it shows which side to put syringe in:

Raminlich

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ramin
Yes all weights i said are before feeding
and yeah i saw that pic before now i'm feeding him just like that.
Thanks for your efforts and worrying you helped a lot.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very good! I´m so glad he is gaining weight.

Yes, while I do not agree with people buying unweaned chicks if they don´t have experience, it is not fair to let the bird suffer, and so if I can help, I will try my best. I would have been much happier to see the breeder care for and wean the baby but that wasn´t what happened here.

Do you have a name for this little bird?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Could you do another video feeding the chick with the syringe?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you tossed the tube and that you are handling him more correctly when feeding. Great that he is gaining weight. Continue to keep us updated.

Raminlich

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ramin
Very good! I´m so glad he is gaining weight.

Yes, while I do not agree with people buying unweaned chicks if they don´t have experience, it is not fair to let the bird suffer, and so if I can help, I will try my best. I would have been much happier to see the breeder care for and wean the baby but that wasn´t what happened here.

Do you have a name for this little bird?
not yet :)

i'm noticing something strange,
he is gaining weight very fast.
2 days ago he was 45 yesterday was 50 and now it's 56 is this normal? ( weights are before feeding )
also should i take him out for walk? i feel like he need to train those muscles and learn to walk with more confidence.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Chicks don´t leave the nest until they are feathered/not bald anymore. They will get up on their own and start moving. Once he is at that age, let him walk around on your bed or sofa, or put a bedsheet on the floor.
What does he look like now?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope they reply. I'm worried that this little one didn't make it :(