• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some help with babies

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Mockinbirdiva @iamwhoiam @Ripshod @tka

Op has messaged me. The chick is doing ok. S/he will be 8weeks old now. :loveshower:

Hi zara , thank you i hope you are well too.
Chick is good he is 80 grams most of his body is now covered with feather how ever there are some suspicious things.
he still doesn't fly , he can fly like 5 meter if he is so hungry but most of the time he prefer walking. ( he will sometimes flap his wings while standing , like he is practicing or something).
another thing is he still refuse to eat seeds and want formula. how ever i'm trying some soft foods like fruits and veggies he seems to like them but not as his main food. ( yesterday he was in love with watermelon , and yes i don't offer fruit seeds to him )
I was expecting for him to do all of these long ago , but i think to due his bad health in past his growth was not as it used to be so... i will wait more see how he will do.

So it sounds like @Raminlich is doing well with the chick.
S/he is a little underweight but hopefully will be ok. And the chicks flight will improve once weaned. ❤

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Mockinbirdiva @iamwhoiam @Ripshod @tka

Op has messaged me. The chick is doing ok. S/he will be 8weeks old now. :loveshower:

So it sounds like @Raminlich is doing well with the chick.
S/he is a little underweight but hopefully will be ok. And the chicks flight will improve once weaned. ❤
That really is good news, another weight off my mind.
Thanx Zara.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He´s looking great :) :loveshower:

How many times does he eat formula a day?

Raminlich

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ramin
Thanks.
Usually i give him every 4 hours plus some fruits and veggies between them

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Awesome! He looks much healthier from when we first saw him. You did good Ramin :)
Are you also looking to wean him onto pellets? Its just easier to do it when they are younger, it gets very difficult later on - Depending on the bird of course.

Raminlich

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ramin
Awesome! He looks much healthier from when we first saw him. You did good Ramin :)
Are you also looking to wean him onto pellets? Its just easier to do it when they are younger, it gets very difficult later on - Depending on the bird of course.
i would love to but now he just hate hard stuffs like millet and want soft things like fruits.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
he still doesn't fly
To early for him.
he will sometimes flap his wings while standing , like he is practicing or something
Yes, correct. He is practicing.
he still refuse to eat seeds and want formula
To early for that too. He will stop taking formula when he is ready to wean.
yesterday he was in love with watermelon , and yes i don't offer fruit seeds to him
That is normally correct, but pumpkins and melon seed/kernels are fine to give. If you got many you can dry them.
Both mine loves pumpkins and melon seeds. But only one of them eat them wet/fresh.

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
If I'm correct - he should wean somewhere in the next 2-3 weeks tops, considering he's 8 weeks. So you don't have too long to go - I would say first introduce him to pellets then seed. It'll be easier for you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for posting the updated photos and thanks, too, Zara for posting your updated info on baby. He is looking good! Moisten some pellets with warm water and see if he eats those. You can also put some of the formula in a small and very shallow bowl and see if he will eat any of that on his own. Don't give up on offering the veggies and millet. Cook some mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots) and let them cool a bit so they are slightly warm but not hot to the touch. I also gave my babies (red-bellied parrots, not cockatiels) a few Cheerios. They are easy for babies to pick up. Do you have Cheerios or something similar available?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Glad to see your baby survived. As the others have said, offer softened pellets along with the vegetables ( chopped very small so they are easy to eat) What kind of pellet food do you have? If you don't have any now would be the time to get some. You might also try cooking some sweet potato and mashing it up and offer a small amount on a very shallow dish or bowl. Have you got any videos or photos of Jony eating the veggies?

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Thank you for updating us @Zara and @Raminlich!

I have been following this thread and did not have any experience in hand feeding to help you, but I am so glad to hear you bird is doing well, Ramin. Jony is adorable and looks quite happy and healthy!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If I'm correct - he should wean somewhere in the next 2-3 weeks tops, considering he's 8 weeks
There´s no time limit when it comes to weaning. They will go at their own pace and wean once they are ready. Most Tiels wean around 10-12 weeks, but that´s not to say that they must wean by then, it is just the average.
It is fascinating to think that the little baby eats formula, and then they wean themselves... like something within them tells their brains to stop accepting the formula. It´s just amazing. Birds are so smart :)

Raminlich

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ramin
I will try soft pellets today.
how ever i have to update that he likes sunflower seeds ( shelled of course )
also he can shell sesame seeds.
how ever i'm little bit worry about his hydration.
if i'm about offer pellets and some seeds he won't get enough water , also he doesn't drink water too.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Only give a few sunflower seeds a day. Or save them for treats - like you give hinm one sunflower seed from your hand to bond with him.

What is the water in? Do you use a bowl or a dish?
For me, to introduce water I use a technique that has worked for all my birds, I will put the bird next to the water, dip my finger in the water and then gently touch the side of their beak so that a little water trickles in. Some times they get closer and drink, other times they sit and look, so I do it once more and then leave them be and try again later.

Remember the bird will get some water from the soft pellets and vegetables.

I just remembered that he is still eating formula, in this case he will probably not drink at all or if he does it will be very little. As he rejects food and you feed less formula, he will drink more.

Do you know how to cut down the formula while he weans?

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Raminlich and @Armin Hey, how are you all? I think of Jony often. Did he wean OK? Is he flying now? What is the status with Jony and Sunny?

I´d love to hear from you guys :)

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
You should be offering mashed cooked (let cool down) vegetables daily in a dish so your bird can start learning to eat healthy foods at a young age. You can prepare mash and freeze it in portions so you don't have to cook it every day. unthaw overnight a portion in the fridge.

Simple mash recipe:
cooked vegetables (brocolli, kale, carrots - optional: green beans, peas, corn, sweet potato, califlower, green peppers(sweet peppers of any color), collard greens - any bird friendly vegetable)
cooked quinoa (1-2 cup)

Remember to remove fresh wet foods after 3-4 hours from the cage to prevent spoilage.

You should also be offering seeds (not sunflower) and pellets daily as well.

Another optional but nutritious option is to offer sprouts (soaked organic seeds) but you will need to read a guide on how to sprout + buy organic seeds.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best