• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some help with babies

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Eloy you posted a website that talks about sunflower seeds for human consumption. They are a high fat seed and should not be free fed to small parrots ( a few in moderation is fine , but if you let them eat sunflowers all day , they may ignore the rest of their diet) . If you sprout them, thats a different story as sprouts are lower fat , they use the fat inside to grow.

They are not poison, they are high in fat. If you let your bird eat any seed they want all day long, chances are they are going to indulge in only sunflower seeds, ignoring the rest of the seeds in the bowl.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Eloy you posted a website that talks about sunflower seeds for human consumption.
No I posted a link to a website that explains what sunflower seeds contain. Didn't you read that?
And if something is good for our heart, it's also good for our parrots heart. And they are anti-inflammatory for both us and our birds.
And they can help with arthritis for both us and our birds. So why is it so bad to post a link to that website?
They are a high fat seed and should not be free fed to small parrots ( a few in moderation is fine , but if you let them eat sunflowers all day , they may ignore the rest of their diet) .
I never said that. I said that they combined with other seeds, veggies, berries and pellets makes a great diet. And that they are best sprouted.
And you did say: NO sunflower seeds, and to that I was giving my answer. Now you say that you can give a few, but not why.

Why feed sunflower seeds? Because they are so healthy. You will for an example have high levels of Vit B and E and a lot of minerals. They are also a great source for protein.

They are not poison, they are high in fat. If you let your bird eat any seed they want all day long,
So that is what you think I'm doing? I guess you never seen any of my food threads.
And fat... Almost everything you give them contains fat. You are not so worried about fat when you are feeding pellets are you?
Sunflower seed contains good fat. (fat that they need) My birds exercise a lot so they need even more fat. (fat, protein and carbs)
I wonder if you are worried about feeding nuts too? And what about other seeds?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
No I posted a link to a website that explains what sunflower seeds contain. Didn't you read that?
Obviously I read the article if I mentioned it explains how sunflower seeds are good for human consumption. What's your problem anyways? Got something against my reading skills?

I prefer to go on the advice of a vet then an article created for people's diets. Vet's recommend only up to 2 sunflower seeds a day as a treat for a cockatiel because of their fat content, the fact that cockatiels are not as active as other parrots.

I mention no sunflower because some people don't realize that sunflower is much higher in saturated fats then other seeds. Millet and other seeds also have Vitamin E and B, you dont need to give cockatiels sunflower seeds for this. So does sprouting most seeds. All seeds also have protein, lol. So do grains that are much lower in fat then sunflower seeds. Almost every cockatiel seed mix has a ton of sunflower seeds, so I am trying to help out people who only feed their birds this diet not realizing.

And fat... Almost everything you give them contains fat. You are not so worried about fat when you are feeding pellets are you?
Pellets aren't made with sunflower seeds. Their fat content is much lower then sunflower. They are usually made with a vitamin mixture and millet/ground corn.

You can get the same nutrition that sunflower provides in less fatty seeds such as millet, sprouts, grains.

So that is what you think I'm doing
I don't care what you feed your birds. Why don't you get off my case and find something else to do with your life.

I wonder if you are worried about feeding nuts too? And what about other seeds?
My parrots are too small to open nuts. This is the cockatiel section the last I checked.

My birds exercise a lot so they need even more fat. (fat, protein and carbs)
My cockatiel doesn't exercise nearly as much as my budgies so I limit her fat intake. If I didn't coax her to fly she would only fly 2-3 times a day. She will do almost anything to avoid flying sometimes, it's like she forgets she is a bird. Are you even talking about cockatiels?

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't care what you feed your birds. Why don't you get off my case and find something else to do with your life.
What's wrong with you? It wasn't me that said: No sunflower seeds and after that change my mind. I only said that sunflower seeds are healthy and posted what they contains. And as you have no idea or are interested in a good and healthy bird diet I suggest you to read more and get information somewhere else so I can fill my life with people that appreciate it and not are rude or go to personal attacks.

Pellets aren't made with sunflower seeds.
Aren't they? Do you really know what pellets contain?
Their fat content is much lower then sunflower.
But you do know that their is two different fats?
You can get the same nutrition that sunflower provides in less fatty seeds such as millet, sprouts, grains.
No you can't. You have to feed a lot more, and if so you are feeding more fat that you are so afraid of.
What's your problem anyways? Got something against my reading skills?
Yes. You couldn't read this: (And I think you need help with your aggressive way to write on a forum. That doesn't look good. )
Energy 2,445 kJ (584 kcal)

Carbohydrates
20 g
Sugars 2.62 g
Dietary fiber 8.6 g

Fat
51.46 g
Saturated 4.455 g
Monounsaturated 18.528 g
Polyunsaturated 23.137 g

Protein
20.78 g

Vitamins Quantity %DV
Thiamine (B1)
129%
1.48 mg
Riboflavin (B2)
30%
0.355 mg
Niacin (B3)
56%
8.335 mg
Pantothenic acid (B5)
23%
1.13 mg
Vitamin B6
103%
1.345 mg
Folate (B9)
57%
227 μg
Choline
11%
55.1 mg
Vitamin C
2%
1.4 mg
Vitamin E
234%
35.17 mg

Minerals Quantity %DV
Calcium
8%
78 mg
Iron
40%
5.25 mg
Magnesium
92%
325 mg
Manganese
93%
1.95 mg
Phosphorus
94%
660 mg
Potassium
14%
645 mg
Sodium
1%
9 mg
Zinc
53%
5 mg

I mention no sunflower because some people don't realize that sunflower is much higher in saturated fats then other seeds.
So "some people" don't realize.. Isn't that to think other people are stupid that can't understand that themselves?

If I say to people that to feed a varied diet that contains hemp and sunflower seeds I'm sure of that they give other things too and not only sunflower seeds that you accuse me and they for doing. And as you say, you don't care what I feeding my birds, so why post this:
If you let your bird eat any seed they want all day long,
Pellets aren't made with sunflower seeds. Their fat content is much lower then sunflower. They are usually made with a vitamin mixture and millet/ground corn.
So you think sunflower is bad but corn is good? And what about peanuts, good too? And added chemical vitamins is good too?
My cockatiel doesn't exercise nearly as much as my budgies so I limit her fat intake. If I didn't coax her to fly she would only fly 2-3 times a day. She will do almost anything to avoid flying sometimes, it's like she forgets she is a bird.
So then it's up to you to make her life more healthy so she exercise more and use her wings for transportation.
And when you say that you limit her fat intake, do you not limit her carbs and protein at same time? Or do you not think that is important?
Muscles needs fat, carbs and protein. To limit one of them is wrong. To give less what they need is also wrong. That will only create a unhealthy less active bird.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
So "some people" don't realize.. Isn't that to think other people are stupid that can't understand that themselves?
Oh so now your going on insinuating that I am calling other people stupid. I already posted sunflower are high in SATURATED FAT (BAD FAT) and vets recommend to not feed sunflower seeds. 2 per day is max as a treat. It's not needed in any cockatiel diet. I'm trying to help people because most cockatiel seed blends have too many sunflower seeds and you are telling me that I think their stupid because of this. Stop attacking me over this nonsense. I am done responding to you.

I should have mentioned if anyone let's their bird eat sunflower seed all day long, but I accidently typed you . Didn't even realize I posted it. My grammar is not the best, sorry. Thanks for pointing that out.

Why do you keep posting about peanuts, corn , synethetic vitamins and other shizz, we were talking about sunflower seeds. I am not giving my opinion on these because your just going to attack me anyways.

I feed my bird daily sprouts, vegetables, dehydrated vegetables, 30% seeds and grains(without sunflower/peanuts)(my seed mix contains rye berries, wheat, millet, canary grass seed, oats, hemp hearts)(also feed them cooked quinoa and small amounts of sesame and flax seed every 2 days) and 15% pellets(roudybush). If you think that diet isn't good enough for my birds then thats just too bad. I am actually home most of the day and can give my birds 2-3 vegetable meals. My budgrigars are going on 8 years old, full of energy and healthy. And yes I know what the ingredients are inside of roudybush pellets.

As for my cockatiel, i coax her to exercise, but she is not as active as my budgies. She also has short training sessions for treats , I have posted videos of her tricks before.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Please calm down and treat each other with respect.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
No you can't. You have to feed a lot more, and if so you are feeding more fat that you are so afraid of.
Yes you can. Look up what sesame seeds, flaxseed, wheat , millet , sprouts contains.

Sprouts:
Vitamins B, C and E
Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus
Amino Acids
Protein: 15%

Millet:
Energy 1,582 kJ (378 kcal)

Carbohydrates
72.8 g
Dietary fiber 8.5 g

Fat
4.3g
Saturated 0.7 g
Monounsaturated 0.8 g
Polyunsaturated
omega‑3
omega‑6

2.1 g
0.1 g
2.0 g

Protein
11.0 g

Vitamins Quantity %DV
Riboflavin (B2)
24%
0.29 mg
Niacin (B3)
31%
4.72 mg
Pantothenic acid (B5)
17%
0.85 mg
Vitamin B6
29%
0.38 mg
Folate (B9)
21%
85 μg
Vitamin C
2%
1.6 mg
Vitamin K
1%
0.9 μg

Minerals Quantity %DV
Calcium
1%
8 mg
Iron
23%
3.0 mg
Magnesium
32%
114 mg
Manganese
76%
1.6 mg
Phosphorus
41%
285 mg
Potassium
4%
195 mg
Sodium
0%
5 mg
Zinc
18%
1.7 mg

Hardly anyone feeds their budrigars sunflower seeds, because the budrigar seed mixes don't have them, and the budgrigar is surviving much longer in captivity then in the wild these days. If anyone wants to feed their small parrot sunflower seeds, why not try an alternative route by sprouting them to reduce the fat content. I am only talking about budrigars and cockatiels, I do not know what diet the larger parrot species needs. This is the cockatiel section and I will not comment on larger parrots as I do not own one and have not done any research on larger parrot diets.

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Please calm down and treat each other with respect.
No problem for me. :)
If someone is rude to me I use the ignore button so I don't need to see more post of that member.
But sadly that member can still see mine post and I think that is wrong.