• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new aviary. My neighbors. SO STRESSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Since they've been out of town, Dexter's had a wonderful time using the aviary! I have to admit that the first 15 minutes or so he is on the noisy side as he 'checks in' with my other macaw, Shaylor. Then, he gets himself busy!
He usually makes the most noise once he reaches the highest point within the aviary. Not sure why, but it's like he says, 'Look at me! I'm on top of the world!'

I made a few videos on my phone capturing the 'yapsters' doing their barking at 11:30 p.m. Also tagged it to the actual time showing on my clock. It'll be my rebuttal if they dare come at us again with their complaints.

The downside to this entire ordeal is that now I'm left feeling paranoid that he's disturbing someone. As I mentioned before, Dexter is loud, and squawks at high decibels. I'd rate him up there with the umbrellas. I get it that it can be bothersome, but I'm trying to monitor the sound and keep it to what I deem 'reasonable'.

Agree that scarlets have big voices; however, I don't know what kind of natural sound baffles are in your neighborhood, i.e. bushes, trees, foliage, fences, traffic, etc. Have you gone to the front of your property and other areas to evaluate the sound? Have you sounded out (pun intended) your other neighbors?

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes I have. The other neighbors actually like the aviary. The people across the street are fine with him. The ones directly behind us, who are super friendly with our sound sensitive neighbors haven't said anything to us one way or the other.

I don't believe that bushes will help muffle Dexter's loud vocalizations.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This may be a stupid question but is the roof of the aviary metal? It may be amplifying the calls unintentionally.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She's a self righteous old bat and she'll pull her "affliction" card though as you've said, every town/village/city has noise ordinances. On top of that Dexter & company are only outside when @Nikomania is home vs. the neighbour's yappy dg being left outside when they're not. Maybe the yapster has accidents if left inside alone? Not that it helps anyone.
Hahaha,,,I love you! Your my kinda girl...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so over this, your birds are quiet at night, as are all of ours..we have neighbors here who have yappy dogs all night long, I turn the fans on, to muffle the sound.. we have neighbors who's roosters crow at 4 am...doesn't bother me.. we do live in a kind of rural area, where sound is amplified by the acreage ,,,we even have the occasional coyote yapping... so what? I'm glad they're out of town....maybe they'll stay.. :angry101::hehe:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This may be a stupid question but is the roof of the aviary metal? It may be amplifying the calls unintentionally.
The back half is, but the front towards their fence line, and where the birds primarily hang is a type of sun resistant
plastic paneling

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so over this, your birds are quiet at night, as are all of ours..we have neighbors here who have yappy dogs all night long, I turn the fans on, to muffle the sound.. we have neighbors who's roosters crow at 4 am...doesn't bother me.. we do live in a kind of rural area, where sound is amplified by the acreage ,,,we even have the occasional coyote yapping... so what? I'm glad they're out of town....maybe they'll stay.. :angry101::hehe:
Nope. They're back, and having the outside of their home painted. The irony here is that she's actually hung over her fence to ask my son to move his little generator to the other side of our house when using due to the sound. BUT, the painter is using the exact same type of generator to power wash the exterior. And she's okay with it!

I have been orchestrating our next dialogue in my head, should the opportunity arise, rehearsing what I'd say and how I'll shut her down next. If she complains one more time to us, this dialogue will be unleashed. I'm so ready!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nope. They're back, and having the outside of their home painted. The irony here is that she's actually hung over her fence to ask my son to move his little generator to the other side of our house when using due to the sound. BUT, the painter is using the exact same type of generator to power wash the exterior. And she's okay with it!

I have been orchestrating our next dialogue in my head, should the opportunity arise, rehearsing what I'd say and how I'll shut her down next. If she complains one more time to us, this dialogue will be unleashed. I'm so ready!
Sorry honey, but $c rew her!! She sounds like a malicious, maliputive Pishada...and, if she hangs over your fence ,,shes intruding on your privacy and property..harassing your child...time to call the police, like we did with our previous crazy neighbor,,,,she plays cards, ,you play yours..I wish I was your neighbor, heehee.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry honey, but $c rew her!! She sounds like a malicious, maliputive Pishada...and, if she hangs over your fence ,,shes intruding on your privacy and property..harassing your child...time to call the police, like we did with our previous crazy neighbor,,,,she plays cards, ,you play yours..I wish I was your neighbor, heehee.
I wish you were my neighbor, too! I'd even share my aviary with you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When you speak to your neighbor, be sure to refer to her "mental illness" several times. Pardon me for my lack of PC, and I know it isn't classified as one but that will get under her skin. See here's what I've been thinking.....

A page or 2 or 3 back, we were all being silly remember? And it made me think. Perhaps she and her teacher friends sat around giggling and coming up with a "reason" she couldn't stand the noise of your birds. So they picked one that was fairly obscure, and that you couldn't verify or disprove the symptoms. Are you with me?

I don't believe it for a minute. She just doesn't like change.

BTW sound carries like crazy on water, I can hear every word my neighbors across the water say on their phone. And my birds are often outdoors (they used to be on the lanai full time)... they sun and bathe out there. You can also hear the 2 caiques down at our dock from inside the house! I haven't gone beyond there to see how far it really carries.

My neighbors say they like it, that it is like living in a jungle.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I was walking Sophie a few weeks ago and ran into my neighbor who has 2 barky Springer spaniels. He said something to the effect that my birds COULD be loud at times. I replied "like when your dogs bark when a chipmunk farts? Like when I had to cross the street because they went crazy, barking at Sophie?" He said "Ah," winked, and we shook hands.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I like Finchy idea to call it a mental health disorder. Most people don't like to be referred to as mentally ill.

Especially ones that are using a illness that is hard to verify or prove.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Clarify open yard - where I live very few, if any, yards have walls/fences unless there are dogs living in the house. My yard has hedges along the sides but the neighbours behind us can see our entire back yard as we can theirs. We can only hear the neighbours on either side if/when they're barbecueing.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
As someone who actually has 'misophonia', courtesy of ADHD, I've just got to chime in to say...
LET YOUR BIRDS OUT WHENEVER YOU WANT. :smuggrin:

No one's disorders are their neighbour's problem. I get hot flashes of rage and terror at the sound of doorbells ringing and people knocking on doors, but uh...I haven't demanded that my neighbours upstairs dismantle their doorbell or some nonsense, lol.
Drop some 2¢ earplugs on her doorstep and be done with it. Your house, your yard, your aviary, your birds. Be happy and let her wallow in her miserable existence without letting her drag you down with her!

Status
Not open for further replies.