• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new aviary. My neighbors. SO STRESSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
As someone who actually has 'misophonia', courtesy of ADHD, I've just got to chime in to say...
LET YOUR BIRDS OUT WHENEVER YOU WANT. :smuggrin:

No one's disorders are their neighbour's problem. I get hot flashes of rage and terror at the sound of doorbells ringing and people knocking on doors, but uh...I haven't demanded that my neighbours upstairs dismantle their doorbell or some nonsense, lol.
Drop some 2¢ earplugs on her doorstep and be done with it. Your house, your yard, your aviary, your birds. Be happy and let her wallow in her miserable existence without letting her drag you down with her!

Perfectly said.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Everyone, I'm sincerely trying to reclaim my world. However, I'm very sensitive to other's people's perceptions or feelings towards me, and have always strived towards keeping the peace.
Even though I'm upping my aviary time with Dexter, I'm actually stressed every single time he blurts out his scarlet vocals, knowing that it's pissing someone off. I'm not relaxed at all out there with him. Hopefully it'll just take time. I do believe that once the next conversation takes place, part of what I'm feeling will be released and I can move on. For now, it's a waiting game to see when the next shoe drops.

@hrafn I loved what you said, and actually appreciate hearing it from you as one who also suffers from this malady.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You could play music on outdoor speakers. It might help alleviate the abruptness of his calls and you could even sing along. (If you're like me and can't carry a tune in a bucket, so much the better!)

Surely the lovely church-going lady can't get angry about music, they play it in church all the time. Heck, play Christian music. I dare her to ask you not to.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could play music on outdoor speakers. It might help alleviate the abruptness of his calls and you could even sing along. (If you're like me and can't carry a tune in a bucket, so much the better!)

Surely the lovely church-going lady can't get angry about music, they play it in church all the time. Heck, play Christian music. I dare her to ask you not to.
This made me laugh! lol

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You know what? I just might do that! Fantastic idea, and one right up her 'happy' alley!:scarlet::angel4:
It really should help his calls blend in a bit,
but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets irritated that you're enjoying yourself and not bowing to her Majesty's every whim. (which is what this all seems to be about?)

The part that really got me is when you said she had your son move his generator but her workers' generator doesn't bother her? It feels like she is trying to take advantage of your and your family's good hearts and if you did as she asked, she would find something else to demand of you. It is sad, but I wonder if that isn't truly what is at the heart of her illness.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It's always good to be prepared and educated for unfortunate circumstances. Here's a link to the San Diego noise ordinance laws FYI. Animals are included but the burden of proof is on your neighbor(s). I only hope for the best outcome for you.
NPC Law Library: San Diego Noise Ordinance

Thank you, Mike. I actually called and spoke with them to find out what my rights were. The ordinance is loosely written, so there's wiggle room built into it. If 2 neighbors voice complaints, it becomes a nuisance. I didn't want to risk that, which is why I asked my son's former therapist to write an official letter designating Dexter his ES pet. The letter specifies 'without limitations' within its verbiage.

@faislaq I absolutely concur that if it's not one thing, it'll be something else for her to complain about. I'm so ready to shut down her pie hole the next time it opens up! Scripted mental discussion locked and loaded!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Maybe when Dexter is outside and calls, you can call back? So it's also a bird to human contact call as well as a Dexter to your other bird call.

God forbid, like calling to your dog when it's yapping too much ...

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well, unfortunately they're back. Tonight they had some guests over and were outside in their back patio. Shaylor let out only 1 squawk, and all we could hear coming from their yard was a chorus of taunting mimicking squawks along with negative things to say about my babies. Again it was only ONE single squawk.
Last night I again recorded their dogs yapping from 11:30 to 12:00 midnight to add to my very large collection of yapping after curfew. Just collecting-in case.
Sadly, I haven't been putting my macaws out in the aviary as of late, but hopefully will again soon. I'm struggling to find comfort within myself to use it for them now. :sad1:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Ugggh. Your neighbors sound like self-centered, snarky little pricks. It's a rotten thing that you don't even feel comfortable enough to use your own aviary for your macaws... :(

Actually, the more I think about it, they are bullies. They are using mockery as a way of intimidating you and putting you down for their own benefit.
Hang in there.
:sadhug2:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Well, unfortunately they're back. Tonight they had some guests over and were outside in their back patio. Shaylor let out only 1 squawk, and all we could hear coming from their yard was a chorus of taunting mimicking squawks along with negative things to say about my babies. Again it was only ONE single squawk.
Last night I again recorded their dogs yapping from 11:30 to 12:00 midnight to add to my very large collection of yapping after curfew. Just collecting-in case.
Sadly, I haven't been putting my macaws out in the aviary as of late, but hopefully will again soon. I'm struggling to find comfort within myself to use it for them now. :sad1:
Hmm, it squawking noises set her off, why was she and her guests start squawking? Hmmm seems like if she had misophonia that would have set her off. hmmm. Terrible neighbors.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.