• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new aviary. My neighbors. SO STRESSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
On Friday when the fabricators were moving in our aviary panels, one of my neighbors asked the workers what they were doing. He said she seemed worried that we were building an aviary, and that things would become noisy.

Today I had Dexter out in it for the first time. He let out a few calls, but nothing incessant at all. My son said that my neighbor again poked her head over our fence and told us there is a noise ordinance and to take the bird in the house.

I'm so very stressed now. I planned, saved and finally built the aviary of my dreams, only to have our neighbor complain. She has never complained about our birds' noises in the past, either.

We don't live in a HOA community, but I'm wondering what my rights are with regards to letting my birds enjoy being outside, knowing that they will call out from time to time.

I want to cry right now. So stressed.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I couldn't see a time mentioned when I'd looked up the noise ordinance in our area. It was vaguely written with respect to what constitutes 'noise'. They're only going to be outside during the day.

My macaws talk inside the house, which I'm sure has been bothering her all along. Now that they're going to be outside part of the day, she's decided to object.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yep you have to play hardball, or she’ll run all over you. ;Don’t do what she tells you (she isn’t your mother). If she calls the cops be polite and ask them to explain the whole thing to you.

And read your town or county noise ordinance online! My neighborhood is always billed as “deed restricted” turns out that was over 35 years ago. We have a strict town code and people here call each other for compliance alll the time. One lady has parrots - a neighbor claims she pushes the cages out onto the porch every day and leaves them while she goes to work.

Whether that’s true or not there is NOTHING they can do. She isn’t breaking code.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They have times.

We have one here. It's starts at 9pm and I don't recall the morning times. It's no different then a dog barking.

Try doing it the nice way, ask her what times would be best. They will be quieter once they are used to it. :)

If not, get a chain saw or tell her you will use the kennel for your new outside barking dog.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Start out with your smaller birds too. IF she calls police and they drive by they may laugh at a small little amazon out there. Put your macaw out when she is not home until your sweetie gets used to it. :)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Call your local ordinance officer, not sure where you are, but there is always someone who can go over the rules with you. A bird squawking for 5 minutes is no different than a dog barking for 5 minutes. And most places to really cause a problem you need most / all of your neighbors complaining.

Try inviting her over for coffee or tea to meet the birds and watch them interact or if anyone is social and shows off with chatting or tricks. I agree to start off nice... if she gets nasty, I agree with Sarah, buy a chainsaw ;)

But I would definitely call your local town hall, township building, county offices or such... calling and chatting about what the rules are and what you need to do to abide by them and be a good neighbor will give you the leg up. Been thru something similar with a parking issue, and became quite friendly with phone calls to the ordinance officer who handled roads / streets / parking. He actually was waiting for her phone call and she was a bit surprised how much he knew about the situation and how quickly he put her in her place.

Good luck and don't stress.. unless your birds are screaming nonstop for hours and you leave them out at the crack of dawn and late into the night, seriously doubt you have much to worry about... besides a neighbor that might need to accidently get wet when you water the garden... oops...

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Can you train your birds to projectile poop her way next time she sticks her head out to complain?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
@Nikomania I live in Southern California too it's 10pm here in LA County .Here's a link for San Deigo Animal Noise Enforcement Codes...hope this helps
Animal Noise Frequently Asked Questions | City of San Diego Official Website

If this is the applicable ordinance, unfortunately, it's written very broadly without time constraints. If your neighbor is roused to find somebody else nearby who also complains, then two complaining neighbors (if they are adjacent, or 3 if they are nearby but not adjacent), that constitutes a violation of the ordinance and you could be subject to fines up to $1,000. Just one complaint, however, is considered a private matter (according to here: Violations and Complaints | City of San Diego Official Website

The ordinance does specify that it only prohibits "frequent or long-continued noise," so you might want to start documenting when you are taking your guys outside and taking notes about the noise level and frequency. Might sound crazy but it always helps to have evidence like this. If you are only going outside for 30 minutes or an hour a day, and your parrots aren't screaming their heads off the whole time, I don't think your neighbor would have much of a claim.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I agree with lotus15. I would also print out the code and underline in red "frequent or long lasting noise". Could you call or email that department to get some type of clarification....what do they consider "frequent and long lasting"? Would be good to have that answer in writing to flash in someones face.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I couldn't see a time mentioned when I'd looked up the noise ordinance in our area. It was vaguely written with respect to what constitutes 'noise'. They're only going to be outside during the day.

My macaws talk inside the house, which I'm sure has been bothering her all along. Now that they're going to be outside part of the day, she's decided to object.
Call the city and ask about noise ordinance regarding pets. Specify that this isn't about a dog barking all night, this is about pet birds in an outdoor aviary during the day. And next time she tells you to take him inside, suggest she close her windows.

NB: There is an email address at the bottom of your link. Try contacting the person and ask questions.

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:laughin: Yes please.
Haha, I know it's not a very helpful response but this just makes me mad! Like all that construction didnt bother her or maybe raise an inkling that she should have said something beforehand? I adopted my Sennie because he got kicked out by a HOA; they had initially told the new homeowner that birds were allowed but then apparently changed their minds because Luna was too loud. I have had Luna for over 4 mos and his "loud" bouts don't last for more than 5 mins and happens 2-3x a day -- with the door closed, my partner doesn't even notice if he's in the house.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I agree that it’s good to know your laws.

I think, for the sake of your birds, this is also an occasion to swallow your pride, go over and tell her you understand her concerns, invite her over for a nice meal and a meet and greet with the birds and hope she falls in love with them. I would even consider a regular coffee/tea/wine get together to win her over.

Is she SO insufferable that she can’t be won over? Or, that you couldn’t build a healthy neighborly friendship?

My neighbors across the street hate each other and that can’t be a nice way to live.

I think it could be worth it in the end to be the one who shows compassion and extends a warm and educating hand. The reality is that most people don’t “get” parrots or parrot people. But most people are willing to empathize and give concessions to people they know and care about.

Good luck.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Invite the people near you over for drinks and to meet the birds. If they have kids, give the kids feathers if they want them. Ingratiate yourself. Also, is there anything she does that could be reported? If yes, tell the hag you'll keep your mouth shut if she will. Do it ASAP and call the ordinance officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.