• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lucy attacked Angel

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
He's got dried blood in the little bitty feathers around both his eyes. I'm thinking of taking qtips dipped in water and dabbing gently at the areas a little at a time to clean it all up. I can't spray or bathe him for a while but it may be itchy. He keeps trying to wipe his face on everything.

Any opinions or a better suggestion?
For anything around the eyes I prefer to use sterile saline and sterile gauze pads.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
For anything around the eyes I prefer to use sterile saline and sterile gauze pads.
Now that I have plenty of on hand! Thanks for the suggestion!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I got a wood stove dropped on my foot at work about a year ago now. Unfortunately I had bought some cheap boots with out steel toes. Mashed two of my toes on my left foot, big toe and the one next to it. Pretty sure the smaller one was actually broke, both eventually lost their toenails. That hurt bad the first few days and I filled my sock and shoe with blood a few times before I finally made it home. They have also healed and the nails grew back but I had to wear bigger shoes with steel toes to protect them for a while. I have a thread here somewhere about it. I sure have nice heavy duty boots with steel toes now and I usually had them before but needed cheaper boots quickly and I was broke. The fun we go through trying to support ourselves sometimes :eek:
You got that right Terry! No matter how well we all try to plan something will always throw a wrench in the works!

Glad to hear your foot is doing so much better now!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Angel is doing much better today. He was furious when I tried putting the cone back on him this morning so I'm leaving it off for now, watching him like a hawk, and if he starts messing with any of his stitches it's going right back on!

I know he's feeling more like his old self again as he was shaking his bowl and yelling Fresh Water early this morning. I change everyone's water twice a day (sometimes more if they turn it into Bird soup), but this is just Angel's way of saying Get Up and Come in Here Now! Lol

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I just break down and cry seeing it. Its totally gut wrenching for me and am not up to scrubbing everything right now.
I just saw this post now and my heart goes out to you. The inside/outside cage attacks are the worst because we hardly ever expect them. That's why I have acrylic sheets on the top of all the cages to prevent toes being bitten, but you can't do that on the sides of a cage. I hope Angel is doing better. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

I was going to say try using cold water when you do get to cleaning things up - hot water makes blood stains set.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thanks Sandra! I know to use cold water on clothes to get out blood stains, but it never even occurred to me to use cold water for everything else too. You just saved my walls girl!!!

Today I started taking down everything to either clean or toss. So your message was perfectly timed!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The hospital vet just called. They gave Angel more pain meds and he's resting comfortably again on a fat pillow with a snuggly fleece blanket. They want to change his bandages again at 7pm and providing everything looks good I can take him home! I am heading out the door now so I can be there to see what exactly his injuries are and get detailed instructions on how to properly care for him. I have his pillow and blankie all ready for him! In rush hour traffic its going to take nearly twice as long to get there.
If you can find a Vision Cage you could use it as a "hospital" cage, the grid comes out and you can pad the bottom with old towels or cloths. I like it because the bottom wall of the cage is solid which prevents drafts when you have a sick bird.

Google Express

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That's an item we should all have on hand for sure! I've always been so careful. I never dreamed anything like this would happen. Now I'm stocking up on everything I could possibly need in case of another emergency. I was so dang comfortable in thinking I had everything under control that I didn't plan well enough for the unforseen. Because I was so complacent I nearly lost my Angel.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
The another thing is good first aid kit stocked and ready for anything. A small storage box from family $ store with everything in it and clearly marked.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I have a old School bus first aid kit fully stocked here on the fridge a friend who repaired buses gave me. Very handy and I bet some bird stuff might be able to get stuffed into it too. Those old bus kits are pretty comprehensive seeing how they ferry kids around and you never know what MIGHT happen. Most of the time when they retire the buses all that stuff gets left inside and most times the kit has never been used so everything is sealed and ready to go. The newer kits are pretty good and so is the case they come in.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Angel is doing much better today. He was furious when I tried putting the cone back on him this morning so I'm leaving it off for now, watching him like a hawk, and if he starts messing with any of his stitches it's going right back on!

I know he's feeling more like his old self again as he was shaking his bowl and yelling Fresh Water early this morning. I change everyone's water twice a day (sometimes more if they turn it into Bird soup), but this is just Angel's way of saying Get Up and Come in Here Now! Lol

Great news! I’m so glad he’s doing better!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I'm glad he's doing so well today! Don't beat yourself up over this, you learned from it at least. Also I'm sure you know this but hydrogen peroxide gets rid of blood stains as well. I'm not sure if it will take paint off walls etc but I've used it on clothes before. Dawn dishwashing soap is good too, works for a lot of things. I have a wetwipe box filled up with unopened sterile syringes and such (I got them from tractor supply), so that is my first aid kit. I probably need to update it actually lol!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Just finished wiping everything up. Used cool water and vinegar. I really need to take all the cages outside for a good scrubbing with the hose but I don't want to upset the status quo right now. The walls cleaned up fairly well but I still need to do some more work on their climbing wall. Have to pick up more vinegar this afternoon.

Am heading over to Home Depot to get more fiberglass. Am adding a sheet to the top of the other 3 cages just as an extra precaution. I'm getting new floor mats for their room too.

Ordered 48 rolls of vet tape and it's supposed to be delivered today. I have to cushion and rewrap nearly every perch. Angel is sitting on his blankie like a good boy right now. I switched his blue one out for a clean one so he's inspecting my work!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm glad he's doing so well today! Don't beat yourself up over this, you learned from it at least. Also I'm sure you know this but hydrogen peroxide gets rid of blood stains as well. I'm not sure if it will take paint off walls etc but I've used it on clothes before. Dawn dishwashing soap is good too, works for a lot of things. I have a wetwipe box filled up with unopened sterile syringes and such (I got them from tractor supply), so that is my first aid kit. I probably need to update it actually lol!
I'm stopping at CVS this afternoon on the way back from Home Depot to pick up a bunch of new and more appropriate First Aid supplies. My "people" box wasn't very helpful!

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So glad everyone is doing well! God bless you for the love you have for your fids! :heart:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Angel is all tucked in for the night. Getting the cone back on him was no easy fete after letting him have it off most of the day. I was cleaning and rearranging their room so I was watching him like a hawk. He spent a lot of time looking out the window. I think he really missed doing that!

If all goes well, we go back to the vet this Friday to get his stitches removed. He slipped into his water dish and got all wet but I was right there and cleaned him up and then applied more cream to his boo boos.

I don't think he realizes his one foot isn't as it used to be as he keeps trying to use it then acts surprised when it doesn't quite work out as he expected. I guess in time he'll get used to it and figure out some way to compensate. Thanks goodness animals never feel sorry for themselves!