• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In Need of Parrot Breeder

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know nothing about this place but you could email or call them:
African Parrots Aviaries - Online
No information at all on the "about us" page and no reviews that I can find.
They are located in Indiantown, FL.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for posting that @finchly . I did a search and nothing came up. If the place is selling unweaned birds then I wouldn't buy from them. JMHO In addition some of the replies to people's complaints in the reviews are rude and unprofessional. If the negative reviews are scams there are better ways to reply to those. Have to take reviews with a grain of salt sometimes.
I would stick with Avalon or African Queen Aviaries.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@finchly I wouldn't really trust someone who sells a bird for 480$, that normally costs $1,000+. I noticed that the about page didn't have anything on it either, @iamwhoiam. That's what made me kind of second guess them. I'll stay will AA for now. She has a wedding today so I can't contact her.

I've contacted AQA through email, and if the email is invalid, or they don't answer back, I will call them. I'm getting super excited since I'm coming very close to finding a good RB breeder
:hug8:

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
Jean Pattison is still in business, but she doesn't have any poicephalus parrots because they usually breed in the winter. She said they're hard to find right now because of that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jean Pattison is still in business, but she doesn't have any poicephalus parrots because they usually breed in the winter. She said they're hard to find right now because of that.
They are generally known to breed in the winter and early spring but they can breed and have bred throughout the year. My pair bred in the fall, winter, early and late spring. This is interesting: Red-bellied Parrot (Poicephalus rufiventris) | HBW Alive scroll down for breeding info in the wild

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Same here. I haven't talked to her recently, but I did a number of years ago and she was very transparent. I don't think I was asking about buying a bird though. I had some other questions I can't remember that I was doing research on. Actually, I think I called asking about feeding response and weight gains in yellow nape babies and we got into a discussion on breeding and hand-feeding practices. I was impressed that she seemed to be quite attached to her breeder birds which a lot of people aren't. I think their bird's might be toward the high end of price, but probably a better breeder than some random person that doesn't put much thought into their operation.
Also, remember to ask about baby's personality. If there are multiple babies in the clutch, as how their personalities are different or how this baby compares to other red bellies that they've raised. Sometimes you get a clutch where they are all sweet and pretty similar and other times you get one where a certain baby is more snugly, another more adventurous and another more fearful.

And the way she raises her babies is unequaled, IMO. She is simply superb.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
They are generally known to breed in the winter and early spring but they can breed and have bred throughout the year. My pair bred in the fall, winter, early and late spring. This is interesting: Red-bellied Parrot (Poicephalus rufiventris) | HBW Alive scroll down for breeding info in the wild
That is interesting, she says she is hoping to breed them again in the winter. So if AA doesn't work out I'll keep in touch with Jean for sure.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks for posting that @finchly . I did a search and nothing came up.
Yeah I searched several ways before that came up,, not sure what the problem was!

@finchly I wouldn't really trust someone who sells a bird for 480$, that normally costs $1,000+.
:hug8:
The people I have seen here in FL sell them for $600... oh wait that reminds me of someone who might have one, cause hers was $600 last year. I’ll go see if I can track her down.

Anyway so $480 is low but so are his caiques I think. Maybe he goes for quantity? I honestly don’t know.

And I didn’t look at the responses to the reviews but a lot of people here have English as a 2nd language. I’m not trying to defend that person but in the bird world. You sort of get used to a language barrier, and sometimes they come across as harsh.

BUT go with who you’re comfortable with.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I remember correctly DJ Feathers Aviary (now TC Feathers Aviary) used to sell them sometimes but don't see any listed right now. I got my Dusky Conure from there.
Uh...oh....just checked another part of their website and found something that I wish I hadn't seen, a species of bird that I want. So tempted but not going to inquire.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
listed right now. I got my Dusky Conure from there.
Uh...oh....just checked their website and found something that I wish I hadn't seen, a species of bird that I want. So tempted but not going to inquire
That’s how it starts! :laughing6:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Same here. I haven't talked to her recently, but I did a number of years ago and she was very transparent. I don't think I was asking about buying a bird though. I had some other questions I can't remember that I was doing research on. Actually, I think I called asking about feeding response and weight gains in yellow nape babies and we got into a discussion on breeding and hand-feeding practices. I was impressed that she seemed to be quite attached to her breeder birds which a lot of people aren't. I think their bird's might be toward the high end of price, but probably a better breeder than some random person that doesn't put much thought into their operation.
Also, remember to ask about baby's personality. If there are multiple babies in the clutch, as how their personalities are different or how this baby compares to other red bellies that they've raised. Sometimes you get a clutch where they are all sweet and pretty similar and other times you get one where a certain baby is more snugly, another more adventurous and another more fearful.

And the way she raises her babies is unequaled, IMO. She is simply superb.
I bought my Hahn's there 14 years ago. I'm in Colorado so I visited my baby at Avalon Aviary numerous times. I visited about 8 or so years ago when I was interested in another bird but it didn't work out.
They do give their babies lots of attention, and abundance wean.
The breeder birds are in a large building near the house that is very tight quarantine, so didn't see inside that. The babies are in the lower level of the house with big windows, sofas, and playstands.
They have their own microscope to do checkups.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@MommyBird That's very reassuring :)

@iamwhoiam Oh no!! Resist temptation! :laughin: I'll see if I can't contact them lol

@finchly I looked at the responses and they did come across as very unprofessional. He was calling them swear words, and offensive names just because they said he was rude while they were asking questions. He was also saying they were nagging him and so forth, there's two sides of the story for sure, but the way he wrote his responses makes it hard to believe him.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes, and if you want to be in business y ou’ve gotta be business like even when you’re angry. And dealing with idiots. :D

I gotcha.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bought TAG from Jean many years ago. A certified hand feeder in Maryland gets a few of her babies and feeds plus trains them. Bird was tame and eating veggies and pellets at 13 week when I got her. Mostly she has Capes and Greys now.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
I've just finished a conversation with jean (AQA). She sells them for $800, that including the shipping which is $50. She does the gender for an extra $25, they are weaned and shipped at around 3 months old. She put me on her waiting list and was extremely nice and patient. After I talk to AA tomorrow on the phone, I'll try to compare the stores and see which one would be more worth it (which will be extremely hard considering they are both super lovely and professional :crycry:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I can sure vouch for the quality of her birds and knowledge of breeding.