• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In Need of Parrot Breeder

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Red bellies are on the rare side. Never saw on in craigslist or in a pet shop.

Caiques come with a whole different set of rules. Have to read up/ owners stories & meet them. They certainly are fun birds...very active but I have heard they really do better in pairs.

Meyers don;t really like other species & can be aggressive toward even another Meyers.

IAMWHO ....has red belly siblings live together for many years then they started injuring each other & had to be seperated.

Just do alot of research & then Good Luck

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I love my BHC. She's a love-bug and loves to play, wrestle, etc. Will let us do anything to her. Rarely bites and gives warning when she does. But she's also capable of playing on her own, and is especially content to play on a play stand and stare out the window for hours if we are in the same room as her.
A great bird, really.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@Laurie has lots of caique experience:)

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
I'm afraid Caiques are a bit out of my price range. But that won't stop me from making considerations in the future, therefore I'll be looking into Caiques so my knowledge will be greater in the future . . . Thanks for the links and info
:bhc::starshower:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that you are having difficulty finding a red-bellied parrot. @melissasparrots mentioned Jean Pattison. She is an excellent breeder although don't know if she is still breeding red-bellies and, since she is located in FL, you would have to have the baby shipped. You can also try Avalon Aviary: Bird Supply Store and Parrot Breeder in Loveland, Colorado but they are located in Colorado. I know someone who purchased a red-bellied and a Senegal from them.

Another breeder is Saddleback Farm in Tennessee...
E-mail: tnbrdldy@memphisonline.com Don't know anything about this breeder.

Might be easier to find a Meyer's or a Senegal. Seemed that when they first arrived in the US before import bans red-bellies were not common but then over the years they became more available and now I don't see many listed for sale any more.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
I looked at the first website, and the Red-Belly they have available is a female and around 900 dollars. I heard Red Bellies range from 400-600 dollars . . . Is it normal for a female RB to cost so much?
(I emailed the farm in Tennessee)

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
Also, there is a Exotic Bird Show in August that I'm going to. Is it possible there could be one there. I've never been to one before, so I'm not sure what I should expect.

Eryn

Checking out the neighborhood
Can’t figure out how to start my own forum thread thing but also for breeders.
Has anyone ever bought a lovie from toms lovebird farm?? out in Cali?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Prices of birds are increasing.
A grey used to be $800 once upon a time. Well 20 years ago!

Still in last 4 to 5 years there has been a 20 or 30% increase.

Crimson bellies were about $450 now alot more.

Meyers in Petco were $600 in 2006...I think they are pushing $800 now.

The initial price of a bird should not mean anything. You have to realize a bird will live 30 plus years so if you avg it out per year its not much.

Food & vets still cost the same so get the bird you want!

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@Jiffy if the cost is too high I am wondering if you wil be able to cover vet bills and so on?
It's not that I can't afford it, I want to know if I could get a better deal, I don't want to get scammed. I was planning on taking the bird to the vet right after I get it, just to make sure it's healthy. I've already considered the costs, I want to make sure the bird is healthy. If I knew I couldn't afford the things to keep the bird alive I don't think I would consider getting one. It was good that you said that though, because it is most certainly important.
:tiel:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Check the rehomes on AA as you could get a good price & a bird that was well cared for.

Have to look into craigslist but be aware not all birds are well taken care of & loved but some are & the owner has had some hard times or illness...

Keep looking & be open minded & hope you find your heart bird!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Prices of birds are increasing.
A grey used to be $800 once upon a time. Well 20 years ago!

Still in last 4 to 5 years there has been a 20 or 30% increase.

Crimson bellies were about $450 now alot more.

Meyers in Petco were $600 in 2006...I think they are pushing $800 now.

The initial price of a bird should not mean anything. You have to realize a bird will live 30 plus years so if you avg it out per year its not much.

Food & vets still cost the same so get the bird you want!
I've seen CAGs for $3500 and meyers for $1000. And I bought my CBC for $600.

Bird prices are skyrocketing.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I looked at the first website, and the Red-Belly they have available is a female and around 900 dollars. I heard Red Bellies range from 400-600 dollars . . . Is it normal for a female RB to cost so much?
(I emailed the farm in Tennessee)
That's an old listing from Avalon. I know that the Senegal was adopted so those listings are not current. However their prices are generally on the high end. Best to contact them.
In the past, red-bellied parrots were generally more expensive than Senegals. There were very few breeders of them and at that time, as I indicated in my previous post, they were not common at all.

I used to breed red-bellied parrots but no longer do that. My intent was to keep the first clutch and then sell the other babies but I couldn't do that. Was just not comfortable selling them off.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's not that I can't afford it, I want to know if I could get a better deal, I don't want to get scammed. I was planning on taking the bird to the vet right after I get it, just to make sure it's healthy. I've already considered the costs, I want to make sure the bird is healthy. If I knew I couldn't afford the things to keep the bird alive I don't think I would consider getting one. It was good that you said that though, because it is most certainly important.
:tiel:
If you get a bird from a good breeder, you might have to pay more but that isn't the same as being scammed. When in doubt, ask for references. Ask for the number of their vet and if they would allow you to talk to them. Google the name of the vet clinic and make sure it exists. When I get an animal, I pay what I need to pay in order to get what I want unless I just flat can't afford it. In which case, I start saving and get one later. I had my hyacinth shipped to me from California. I'm very soon to get a couple of Harris's hawks shipped to me from New Orleans. I know I could have found a harris's hawk for less than half of what I'm paying. i know I could find one for free for that matter. But I want a good one, so I'm going with the top of the line breeder that wrote the book on the species and I'm paying middle high end price. I can find people vouching for the breeder I'm buying from all over this country, the UK, Canada and Mexico and the Czech Republic. Literally. I think most of the birds that I've paid for have been middle of the road for price. I could have gotten them cheaper, but make sure you know that not all red bellies are the same. When you find one that you want, you pay what you need to pay to get it. Getting a different bird that is a lessor personality or from a breeder that cuts corners in disease testing or choice of breeding stock because it is a better deal, would be a poor choice. These aren't vacuum cleaners after all. Really good breeders will often charge a little more but not always. Breeders living in states with a high cost of living will often charge a little more. Breeders living in local areas where demand for that species is high will charge a little more.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
If you get a bird from a good breeder, you might have to pay more but that isn't the same as being scammed. When in doubt, ask for references. Ask for the number of their vet and if they would allow you to talk to them. Google the name of the vet clinic and make sure it exists. When I get an animal, I pay what I need to pay in order to get what I want unless I just flat can't afford it. In which case, I start saving and get one later. I had my hyacinth shipped to me from California. I'm very soon to get a couple of Harris's hawks shipped to me from New Orleans. I know I could have found a harris's hawk for less than half of what I'm paying. i know I could find one for free for that matter. But I want a good one, so I'm going with the top of the line breeder that wrote the book on the species and I'm paying middle high end price. I can find people vouching for the breeder I'm buying from all over this country, the UK, Canada and Mexico and the Czech Republic. Literally. I think most of the birds that I've paid for have been middle of the road for price. I could have gotten them cheaper, but make sure you know that not all red bellies are the same. When you find one that you want, you pay what you need to pay to get it. Getting a different bird that is a lessor personality or from a breeder that cuts corners in disease testing or choice of breeding stock because it is a better deal, would be a poor choice. These aren't vacuum cleaners after all. Really good breeders will often charge a little more but not always. Breeders living in states with a high cost of living will often charge a little more. Breeders living in local areas where demand for that species is high will charge a little more.

Thank you for putting that into perspective, it does make a lot of sense. I'm glad you mentioned it because I don't think I would have asked for the vet information.

:iagree: