• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In Need of Parrot Breeder

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana

Since there are no photos posted it's easier to resist. :D
Are you sure you want a red-bellied "goofball"....;)?

What birdie was it?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, that's a pretty bird...

I can just imagine my future being with a whole bunch of poicephalus parrots.

I love Pois. I could imagine having at least one of each kind but no vacancies here at the Parrotdise Hotel.
The Ruppell's are very hard to find.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam well, then I’d go for it. It might be one of the only chances to get one
You should check them out. Maybe you would get one instead of a red-bellied parrot....:D

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@iamwhoiam I was. looking into it, and I guess they get jealous super easily and tend to stick with one person. I intend on having plenty of birds in the future but I'm not sure a jealous bird is for me.

My game plan was to let the baby RB bond with me but get socialized with my mother too. So in the case something terrible happened to me, it wouldn't be too much of a stress on the bird to be handed over to my mom. There's been reports of the Ruppells parrot being sold at a store called Petland? I'm not sure I would buy from them though, from what I gather I don't think they're weaned.

I asked Jean Pattison if she bred them. Since the two females on TC Feathers are 1 yr old, it might be easier for you to kind of connect them with the whole flock instead of just you? Anyways, I contacted them for pricing, but if you think you want one, you should go for it. Maybe it'll add onto your Poi collection :p

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@iamwhoiam TCF says they are 800$ each, they would normally be 1000, but they need a little work. So yeah, I'm guessing they're not fully tamed.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@iamwhoiam they also said one is more tame than the other even though they are sisters.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
No....I can't buy any more birds! My friends would lock me up and throw away the key. :D
I said this and now there are 4..... there were supposedto only be 2.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
AQA says I should probably find someone to back me up in case her pairs don't breed this year, so I asked AA to put me on their waiting list too.
Their prices are a bit higher, 899 for the bird and around 225 for shipping. But they re also trained to wear harnesses, vet checkups, and are sexed as well. The 225$ shipping comes with a crate, and air freight charges due to Delta airlines.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam they also said one is more tame than the other even though they are sisters.
@iamwhoiam TCF says they are 800$ each, they would normally be 1000, but they need a little work. So yeah, I'm guessing they're not fully tamed.
You are being an enabler. :D I wouldn't want to split up sisters and so that would equal $1600 + shipping. LOL No room in the inn. Would have to put their cages on the roof.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I said this and now there are 4..... there were supposedto only be 2.
I have a lot more than that! You still have room for more.
AQA says I should probably find someone to back me up in case her pairs don't breed this year, so I asked AA to put me on their waiting list too.
Their prices are a bit higher, 899 for the bird and around 225 for shipping. But they re also trained to wear harnesses, vet checkups, and are sexed as well. The 225$ shipping comes with a crate, and air freight charges due to Delta airlines.

Sounds good. Hope one or maybe even two will come your way. Would be nice for the little one to have a feathered friend. ;)

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
I have a lot more than that! You still have room for more

Nope, not if I plan to have a place to sleep for my kids. As it is, my husband and I got rid of furniture in the bedroom to make space for the cage for the cockatoo.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nope, not if I plan to have a place to sleep for my kids. As it is, my husband and I got rid of furniture in the bedroom to make space for the cage for the cockatoo.
I had to quarantine the last two birds I got ('tiels Kuiper and Callisto) in a bathroom. I hated doing that but birds are everywhere here.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
I've thought about amazons before, but I've heard they have a bit of a temperament, destructive. @iamwhoiam

I've contiplated cockatoos as well, but I know they need a lot of attention and they can get stressed easily. It would constantly stress me out that they would get stressed out, then they can sense mt stress, then they would surely be stressed... argh haha :wacky:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My BFA has a generally sweet temperament except in the mornings. He is not destructive. The only thing he used to sort of destroy were keyboards. The "destruction" was only temporary because all he would do was remove all the keys but he would never damage them so they could easily be put back on the keyboard. My YNA is VERY temperamental and needs to be supervised when out and about. She can be destructive and can also be aggressive towards other birds. In addition, she can be very loud and joins in with the 'toos in what I call "round robin screaming". They take turns to see who can scream the loudest.

I have smaller 'toos and they have been OK although Cody is sensitive and if she gets too stressed she may seizure. Neither of them are feather pluckers and they don't scream throughout the day (knock on wood). Screaming is generally in the evening around bedtime and/or after lights are turned off although if I don't get up early enough in the morning for them they might start screaming.

I hope you can find a red-bellied parrot baby or maybe even a rescue. Senegals have great personalities, too, though and they are more readily available.

Last edited: