• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In Need of Parrot Breeder

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
Hello! I'm making this thread because I'm in need of a reputable parrot breeder. The parrot I am looking for is the Meyer's Parrot, and the Red-Bellied parrot. If you sell one over the other, still let me know. I'm located in Ohio, so if you have a location relatively close, that would be awesome. I will more than likely get a parrot in a few months, and I would like them to be hand fed, and bought at a young-ish age. The parrot that I am mostly looking for, are the RBPs, but I am also considering the Meyer's. For the RBPs, the affordable range for me would be around 400-550. If your prices range higher or lower than this, please let me know and I might be able to still work something out. If you're not a bird breeder but know of one, also please let me know. Staying on the RBP topic, I would more likely want a male, but I'm not casting out the females either.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you have a blessed day. :birdance:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are there any rescues in your area? You can check to see if they have any Meyer's or red-bellied parrots.
Why do you want a Meyer's or Red-belly?
The very young red-bellies may go through a phobic stage when they are just a few months old. Doesn't happen with all of them, though.
Sometimes they come out of it within a day and sometimes it takes years for them to stop being afraid of things and become confident and trusting again.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
When I look up "Bird rescues near me" the only things that show up are wild animal rescues. I'm not familiar with bird breeders because the birds I've had in the past were from general pet stores. One of my cockatiel died a month or so after I bought him from a pet store, and they blamed us for it, therefore I'm trying to steer clear of the pet stores. I have been looking at bird shows, but I don't know if there's a guarantee RBPs will be there. And yes, I have done research on these parrots, and I will be taking specific precautions making sure the bird will feel as safe as possible. I wanted a Meyer's or Red-Belly because their personality fits my schedule and what I'm able to do for the bird.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
You may need to ship if that's really what you want.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
I guess google has a play on words. I looked up "bird breeders near me" and there was a shop that popped up 30 minutes away called "In a Pickle Parrot Shop". Apparently they have great reviews. Thank you all for your advice :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See if anyone here has ever purchased from "In a Pickle". Do a search here or create a thread.
Here's one thread I found: Good breeders in Ohio? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum Posts are a few years old.

Sorry about the loss of your cockatiel. Sad that the store blamed you. There are multiple reasons why the 'tiel may have passed.
What type of general personality or characteristics are you looking for that fit with a red-bellied parrot? If there is any possibility you can actually see and interact with one up close and personal that would be a good thing. Why a male vs a female?

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
The personality I wanted was goofy, and shy. I also heard they were cuddly. Of course there are cons, but I will deal with them appropriately. Females tend to be a bit less cuddly (In my personal experience). And I like the males vibrant color. These aren't huge differences, hence why I prefer male, but females are just as acceptable. I'm currently getting a hold of the store.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The personality I wanted was goofy, and shy. I also heard they were cuddly. Of course there are cons, but I will deal with them appropriately. Females tend to be a bit less cuddly (In my personal experience). And I like the males vibrant color. These aren't huge differences, hence why I prefer male, but females are just as acceptable. I'm currently getting a hold of the store.
Wishing you good luck in your search. My female red-bellies who were hand fed are generally sweet and cuddly although one of them is a bit nippy. More chance that the males will nip or bite compared to the females although they do like to be scratched/petted.
I consider all of my red-bellies to be silly but personality varies with the individual birds. Mine range from being very outgoing to somewhat shy and some are sillier than others. They are all very intelligent and inquisitive, IMO.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think Louise was considering a Hawk head from the Pickle rec by Matthew so I think they are reputable,

Would not consider Meyers cuddly but they do like there head & neck scratched.

Its going to depend on the bird & the socialization.

Was talking about Meyers today with the vet & she tends to agree there bite is bad & it sometimes just comes out of nowhere..

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you want one from a breeder, you might check to see if Jean Pattison is still breeding. She is otherwise known as the African Queen. African Queen Aviaries

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you don’t find one there’s a breeder here in FL... in a FB group I am in. I’ll track it down if you are interested.

I’ve shipped birds in and out no problem. I mean, the pet stores do that too right?

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
The Myers’s is more laid back, which is good in a sense, but that’s why I was looking more into the RBPs, because they fit more into my personal preference. I’ve checked out that website about the African queen, and unfortunately it’s a bit far away. (20 hours away by car). I live in Ohio, so I was looking for closer ones. I still really appreciate the gestures! I’ll keep looking. The only thing about In a Pickle Parrot shop, is they have the Meyers, and Senegal parrot, but not the Red Bellied. So I’m hoping by the time I start looking the buy, they have them in stock. They haven’t gotten back by email, so I will probably try to call them later today.

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
So, I've gotten in contact with more than 5 stores, and none of them have Red-Bellies... I'm not really sure where to go now, so could you guys tell me where you got yours? If they are far away, I hope they do shipping ><

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
I want to make sure me and that bird connect, and they have a nice personality, I can't really know that if they get shipped. That's my only conflict.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Yes, that's true. That's why I personally dislike shipping. But if you want a certain type of bird it's often the only way.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
You might want to look into the black headed Caique, they are considered the clowns of parrots! We have two and they are my wife's favorite birds of all the ones we own or should I say own us!

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
You might want to look into the black headed Caique, they are considered the clowns of parrots! We have two and they are my wife's favorite birds of all the ones we own or should I say own us!
Ahah! I will definitely start looking into them, who knows, maybe I'll have the Red-Bellied and the Caique in the future!