• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wonder if Tank will survive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Poor little boy. I really hope that with time he gets better, and that when he is better he gets placed in a good, caring home.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
There is a Sunday update that really didn’t say much. But Tank is still alive. They didn’t say if he were better or worse but in the picture his eye was fully open and he looked alert. He is apparently getting lots of Facebook messages and well wishes. I hope tank continues to improve and finds a good soft landing spot for the rest of his life.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Yay!! Sounds like he's holding his own. I've been really worried and upset about this. I'm not on FB so I have no idea how he's doing except peeking in here and I'm feeling a little more relieved.

I'm happiest when everyone is fully fed and satiated, I feel so badly when I'm doing okay and find someone isn't. I want to save everyone and I know I can't. It's very frustrating for me and I apologize to anyone one the board if I got too aggressive (grrrr). Thanks for everyone's understanding.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
4D3CEB4B-22AD-4E22-8C5B-D7AC5A049FDB.jpeg nday update: Tank the Wobbly Macaw is late posting his update today. Being a worldwide celebrity is exhausting! The constant barrage of phone calls, emails, private messages, and post comments has him too tired to do a video right now. He doesn't even have time to read or respond to all of his fan mail. He promises to do his best to post at least a little something every day, and asks his fans to ease up just a bit with the demands for every intimate detail of his life. Even celebrities need a little bit of privacy! His plan is to stay home and lounge around in his hammock and watch TV. ❤ to all of his friends!!!

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They don't want to tell how he is doing, so I wonder if he is worse or that they think he will not survive.
I and others did ask them yesterday and we all get the same reply:

"Due to the hundreds and hundreds of comments, PMs, emails, and even phone calls we are receiving daily, we only have time to thank you for caring about Tank with this generic response. Be sure to watch for his daily updates!"

They also post this:

"Burge Bird Rescue We have been contacted by The Dodo, but they will be waiting to see if he survives for a bit before doing his story.
No point doing it now when we don't know if there is a happy ending. Most people can't handle reading a sad story."

bungo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexei
I checked on the Facebook page, a new video is out. His condition looks a lot better than in the first video. Its amazing the amount of people who are following and supporting tank. In 17 hours 1.1k replies of 'get well soon'. I pray that this beautiful bird fully recovers

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I checked on the Facebook page, a new video is out. His condition looks a lot better than in the first video. Its amazing the amount of people who are following and supporting tank. In 17 hours 1.1k replies of 'get well soon'. I pray that this beautiful bird fully recovers
Thanks for the update , I hope he pulls through.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Watching his vids is heart breaking on Facebook, I have been following, just tugs at ones heart.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
"Tank the Wobbly Macaw's Monday update (Day 8 at Burge Bird Rescue): Weight is stable with 6 to 7 tube feedings of macaw formula daily, but is still only 2/3 of what he should weigh. Unable to properly chew and swallow food. A severe head tilt is still present, so he is unable to stand or hold his head straight. Most common causes:

1. Bornavirus is carried by a large percentage of parrots, but causes illness in only a tiny percentage of them. The virus can result in inflammation in the brain. A positive test doesn't mean the virus is causing the problem, just that the bird is a carrier. There is no way to confirm the diagnosis of Bornavirus brain disease in a live bird, and no effective treatment. We are awaiting test results, hoping it is negative.

2. Lead poisoning can cause these symptoms. We did not see evidence of metal in Tank's radiographs (X-rays). His CBC and Chemistry profile (a set of 25 different tests checking the major organ systems and blood cells) did not show the typical changes in the red blood cells or liver enzymes that we would expect in a lead case. However, we are awaiting a blood lead test and have started him on medication for metal toxicity.

3. Zinc poisoning can occur easily in parrots as most metal items in the cage, and the cage itself, may contain zinc, unless you buy all stainless steel. Although Tank's symptoms don't exactly fit with a typical zinc case, we sent out a zinc blood test.

4. Middle or inner ear infection can cause all of Tank's symptoms, and we started him on antibiotics immediately to address this possibility. No change has been seen in 8 days of treatment.

5. Trauma can cause a head tilt. We have no way of knowing whether this is the case unless there were visible changes to the brain on an MRI, which we are trying to get arranged. It is difficult to find a facility with an MRI that is able to scan such a small animal, and that has a staff experienced with parrots so they can read the results properly.

6. Stroke cannot be easily diagnosed or treated.

7. Less common causes include parasites in the brain, fungal infections, other viruses, vitamin or mineral deficiencies, or a brain tumor.

We hope that answers a lot of your questions!"

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Tank is getting excellent and cautious treatment. I like that they are working hard on getting his physical condition better before swamping him with testing. Testing is hard on a bird.

My heart goes out to this bird and to the people who have to watch him struggle day after day. He's a special bird and will give Dr. Burke a lot of knowledge to help other birds.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Hank, you are going to be spoiled rotten when you get fixed up. Hang in there, little-big guy! It might just be me, but his eyes make him look like he's smiling. He's in good hands and I hope to see him continue to fight and improve.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
"Tank the Wobbly Macaw Wednesday Update: Thank you to his friend Cathy Grimes at Jingles Toys on Etsy who donated 2 new hammocks with matching pillows! He still has to be swaddled into a "bird burrito" to keep him from flailing around and falling out of his bed, but he comes out for physical therapy every day. There are a lot of donors we want to thank, but it is impossible to email or message every single one of the over 200 people who sent money to help Tank. Please know that we appreciate each and every one of you, and we can now pay for anything that he needs. We will post updates every day, but they may be late in the day, so please be patient. There are almost 150 birds in the rescue and sanctuary, in addition to patients coming in to our avian veterinary clinic every day, and we do have to spend some time taking care of them too!"

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've been following this poor guy on Facebook. I think he looks like he has improved a lot since he arrived. I just know he'll keep getting better. :angel1:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.