• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wonder if Tank will survive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
OMG poor baby! It's heartbreaking to see a bird in that condition, I hope and pray he recovers.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Any news at all? Yes it’s very sad to see such a beautiful fid in such a poor condition! Sometime money is the issue, complancence, or ignorance! I somehow doubt that anyone would do that deliberately to such a beautiful and expensive fid!

Mostly in my mind, it comes down to people who just don’t know what they are getting into when buying a parrot!

May God Bless him and all those that are caring for him!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Just saw this, heartbreaking, I hope he makes it:heart:
Does Anyone Have an idea What's up with his feet, they are all balled up? My lovie had that but the AV never figured out what it was.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well he's really sick from almost starving and he was dehydrated so might be part of that. And pretty sure with all the issues he is showing they are going to do a MRI to make sure his head and brain are ok and go from there.
I had a rescued house finch we raised and Nerd bit one of her feet and broke it. She healed up fine but her damaged foot balled up like that even though if I straightened out her toes she could use them but they would curl again. In her case pretty sure her tendons tightened up from the damage and she just went on with her life and adapted fine, probably like your fid.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
It doesn't say he was physically abused. Just was turned in emeciated and starved.
I must disagree. If you starve your animal, don't give any water, and ignore an animal who is totally dependent on you, it is physical abuse. There is no excuse for this type of behavior and neglect for an animal to become so malnourished and dehydrated is terrible. Everyone should check every pet/person under their roofs. If you bring home a pet, make sure it is being kept right and check up on him/her. Whoever was babysitting is not someone I'd be willing to forgive too easily.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Lets keep this thread free from arguments about the owner so we can keep it. :)

I wonder if he had some kind of stroke? That MRI would probably give us the right answers.
Any news at all?
The last video I posted is only 14 hrs old. I will post news when they come. And if you got some, feel free to post them here. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor, poor Tank. I hope his caretakers can bring him along. Extreme starvation and dehydration can cause many physical symptoms and the caretakers are doing what they can to bring him along to a physical condition where he can tolerate a lot of testing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Tank and am very grateful to the people taking care of him.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
If you are too dehydrated that can cause brain injury and then paralysis, if his brain was damaged it could cause the loss of motor control in his feet, resulting in the curling.

I worked in the PT department of the brain injury floor at a hospital, and that's how it works in humans, I'm kinda assuming it's the same for birds!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
And if the MRI confirms brain damage there is really no way to determine which came first. Did dehydration/malnutrition cause the brain damage or did the brain damage cause the dehydration/malnutrition.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I wish I had a million dollars to donate to all creatures in need... though, sadly, a million wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket. We are on a rather low, fixed income with very little to spare... but I'm sure I can find maybe ten or twenty dollars to send to Tank this coming payday. I'm sure there's a little something I can go without for a month (like my "gotta have" expensive coffee creamer), to try to help those helping Tank.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
If Tank has brain damage will he still be able to live a good life given the proper accommodations in his home?

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
If Tank has brain damage will he still be able to live a good life given the proper accommodations in his home?
I know with humans this type of brain injury is difficult to heal because there is tissue death. Traumatic brain injuries heal the fastest because once the swelling goes down the problem is solved (essentially). Strokes and injuries like this cause tissue death within the brain and are harder to heal. Depending on how long he was without care, getting swelling under control and starting stretching feet out ASAP he may regain the use of them. The most gains are made in the first 3-6 months so we can't really make any assumptions about quality of life until then :)
With my neuro background I am so interested in this guys situation!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@LilSprout @Fritzgerald16 - It depends on how badly his brain is damaged and what funtions it affects - IF HIS BRAIN IS DAMAGED AT ALL. Right now we need to just keep rooting for Tank. He has a long tough road ahead of him.

He has only been under care for 3/4 days and is steadily improving day by day.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Danita MRI's aren't infallible and Jasper has had one that showed nothing, yet there was something wrong with her head area. A MRI may not show a thing and that would be good, because it would mean that all he needs to do is regain his physical health.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
It doesn't say he was physically abused. Just was turned in emeciated and starved. He could have developed the head tilt (likely from a brain tumor) quickly and in a course of a week become this way. Without further details, people must not assume physical abuse or even purposeful neglect. I hope whatever is wrong with Tank is curable and treatable and that he overcomes this.
I hope this could be the case. :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I hope they test for PBFD And ABV. Perhaps a barium test should be done too.

He might not have brain damage but an acute neurological disorder brought on by disease.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Poor baby, is there any way I can try and donate money for his care online?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Status
Not open for further replies.