• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hoarding Birds for Rehoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
That's great news!! Lucky adoptee & lucky adopters.
Archie, the Cape Parrot, is actually really lucky to be alive. When I cut him out of the cage he was in at the breeding facility, he had no water. It wasn't like he had knocked his bowl over, or had soiled his water, there was no bowl. There was nothing in the cage at all. It was amazing to see how happy he was when we came him some water once we got outside. I don't know how much longer he would have made it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Archie, the Cape Parrot, is actually really lucky to be alive. When I cut him out of the cage he was in at the breeding facility, he had no water. It wasn't like he had knocked his bowl over, or had soiled his water, there was no bowl. There was nothing in the cage at all. It was amazing to see how happy he was when we came him some water once we got outside. I don't know how much longer he would have made it.
Sad about Archie but now he has a new home with people who will care for him.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
IMG_4841.JPG
This is the MM Cockatoo. He lost his mate. I had assumed that this was the female because of the plucking pattern, but the necropsy confirmed that the other one was a female, so now we are assuming that this guy is the male.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
I have a pair of Major mitchell cockatoos... wondering if they have Gang Gang Cockatoos...are they willing to ship by air?

Hi. I'm John, also from RI Parrot Rescue. We never ship birds. Even when we sent the Turacos to Houston, they were driven there by a volunteer.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Hi. I'm John, also from RI Parrot Rescue. We never ship birds. Even when we sent the Turacos to Houston, they were driven there by a volunteer.
Why is that? The stress of the drive is probably far greater than a simple plane ride and it takes far less time to fly. That seems kind of counter-intuitive. I've had plenty of birds shipped to me with absolutely no issues at all. As long as you do it when the weather is agreeable, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
View attachment 253396
This is the MM Cockatoo. He lost his mate. I had assumed that this was the female because of the plucking pattern, but the necropsy confirmed that the other one was a female, so now we are assuming that this guy is the male.
Will you be adopting this pink baby out or are you sending him to a breeding facility?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Will you be adopting this pink baby out or are you sending him to a breeding facility?

Jen , this could possibly be an opportunity for you . I know you have romanced the idea of having a MM2 one day. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The MM2 has always been in the back of my mind but I don't think I'd be a candidate for this little guy since I'm in Wisconsin and I believe they are in Maine. I wouldn't have a problem driving there and back. It's just such a big commitment! I can't even imagine one of my big dream birds coming into my life! I'd have to meet him and make sure he liked me and OMG...I don't know! So much to think about! I'm just not sure I'm ready yet. We still have to get our bird room built. We were going to do it this summer but I think we're going to have to wait a year.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
View attachment 253396

Usually , " but not always", the females in this species has lighter eyes when viewed in the sun ,more of a dark brown. Males have, deep black eyes. What did the Necropsy reveal, in cause of death? I think that would be significantly important, before any adoption process, ruling out any viral disease. As I recall the Queen of Bavaria Conures were flown back to their country of origin. Why would it then be a obstacle for qualified and responsible Avian enthusiasts to fly - out to R.I. bring back a Parrot on as carry on luggage. My Male MM2. Was Flown in from Washington State. My shih tzu puppy's were flown in from Texas . In a air conditioning pressure control cabin.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Usually , " but not always", the females in this species has lighter eyes when viewed in the sun ,more of a dark brown. Males have, deep black eyes. What did the Necropsy reveal, in cause of death? I think that would be significantly important, before any adoption process, ruling out any viral disease. As I recall the Queen of Bavaria Conures were flown back to their country of origin. Why would it then be a obstacle for qualified and responsible Avian enthusiasts to fly - out to R.I. bring back a Parrot on as carry on luggage. My Male MM2. Was Flown in from Washington State. My shih tzu puppy's were flown in from Texas . In a air conditioning pressure control cabin.
The golden conures are still here.

We have necropsied each bird that passed away, and none have showed anything contagious. These birds were near starvation, with many dead at the breeder and many dying in the first few weeks we had them. I honestly don't know the exact cause myself.

I don't think flying as carry-on with a person is what they mean when they say they don't "ship." I think of shipping as cargo. Maybe I'm mistaken. There are a lot more obstacles to someone so far away trying to adopt. We generally limit ourselves to southern New England (RI, CT, MA).

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
So, what exactly happened in this situation? Did the breeder die and no one know or did he/she just lose it?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Basically then what I am reading is , that it is possible to distance adopt ? and if so, what would the criteria involved be ? Seems to be self limiting for potential experienced responsible , avian caregivers, many reside in Florida and the West Coast .Other then small New England states mentioned above... unfair for some of these birds , given the Limited Geographic's. I hope rescues in the near future could expand their outreach. This could have a positive impact for both rescues and birds alike.:hug9:

Last edited:

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
So, what exactly happened in this situation? Did the breeder die and no one know or did he/she just lose it?
I'll copy and paste the same reply I made in the thread about the bird I adopted from this situation:

I'm not a doctor so I can't really say if there were mental health issues. He didn't die. He was charged criminally, and got of with a very light sentence after dragging the process out about as far as he could.

There were lots of dead birds, the debris on the floors was literally over a foot deep. Some of the birds had open wounds, some had no water, many had no food, and the food was of poor quality. The place was so dusty and the air so laden with debris, that just is walking around and moving cages put enough debris onto the heaters that the place started to fill with smoke once the heat came on after the sun went down.

Honestly, I never payed attention to the criminal case. Nothing they could do to him would help us help the birds. Getting mad at him wasn't going to help. Usually when a criminal gets a slap on the wrist, the victims feel re victimized. Luckily for the birds, they don't really know any better. IN MY MIND I decided that he was sick, prayed he got better, and decided not to worry about him any more. I dont have the energy to be mad at him. We could have used a lot more of his money. We were stuck in limbo where nobody was paying boarding fees, yet we couldn't adopt the birds out. Plus, we couldn't take in other birds, and our whole adoption program had to go on hold because we were trying to care for so many birds. We were no longer able to have people visit bond with birds, etc. It took a long time to start operating close to normal again. Recently we have been able to start adopting out birds again, including these birds. A lot of them aren't really suitable as companion birds right now, but we will give them time and see how they do. Others are super sweet and will make great pets. The adoption process just takes a little time, and there are a lot of applications to go through. We have probably adopted out 20 of these birds so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.